Poll

Which subsitute announcer over the history of TPIR was the best?

Gene Wood
Rich Jefferies
Burton Richardson
Randy West
Paul Boland
Roger Rose

Author Topic: Price is Right Subsitute Announcer  (Read 5198 times)

Offline pete1974

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Price is Right Subsitute Announcer
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 10:13:23 AM »
I never heard Rich Jeffries.

There's a clip on YouTube of Rich Jeffries calling Bob Eubanks to "Come on Down" so that Bob could plug "Card Sharks" that would air right before TPIR the following week!!

Offline KCC07

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »
Has any member here heard Bob Hilton announce TPIR?  I'd sure like to know.  I wish somebody would post an episode of Price with Bob Hilton on YouTube.
IIRC Bob Hilton was offered the job but had to decline due to prior commitments.
"Don't eat the prizes!"-Roger Dobkowitz

Offline mikebev25

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 05:02:38 PM »
IIRC Bob Hilton was offered the job but had to decline due to prior commitments.

I think Bob Hilton's "prior commitment" never got off the ground. I always wonder how things would have been different if he actually took the job. I believe he is still alive today, so there is a good chance we would have never had Rod or Rich on TPIR.

And I just listened again to a Gene Wood opening. You know, he was OK, but I definitely prefer Rod by a lot.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline supergoten

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »
In 2003, the chances I did get to watch the show my favorite was Burton Richardson... of course now I'm happy they picked Rich though.

Offline DarkBaron

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 06:08:13 PM »
Randy West, by far. He had the Rod Roddy joy and happiness that flowed in him and he was a great fit as temporary announcer. My greatest deception is that he wasn't made permanent announcer.

In my head I could imagine the same team from Hollywood Showdown rule the floor of Studio 33 (if Todd Newton was host and Randy was announcer)

Offline MissesJanice

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »
Personally, I enjoy each substitute announcer in their own way - Gene Wood for his experience, Burton for his previous work with Davidson, and Randy West for his impeccable Johnny Olson-like voice.

I didn't vote for that reason, and because you forgot Bob Hilton, Art Sanders, Jim Thornton, Don Bishop, and Daniel Rosen.
-Daniel

Gene was fun to hear, but he just did not sound like he was into it. Was just a run in and fill in person, which he was since he worked for Goodson and jumped in at the time Johnny passed.
"The Price is Right will never be the same, it will always be in an evolving state." - MissesJanice

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 07:32:43 PM »
Randy was great, yes, but Art Sanders proved to be a surprising audition. Definitely a different voice than the show was used to, but his technique wasn't bad for someone who'd never done a single game show before.

Offline brian1975

• Double Showcase Winner
  • hi there
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 08:26:28 PM »
i voted for gene wood for two reasons.

first, i was a fan of gene's for as long as i can remember.

and

second, at the time, gene seemed to me to enjoy announcing, even though his stay was temporary.

p.s.,  anybody know if charlie o'donnell announced at any time before rod roddy was selected as permenant announcer?  i can't remember, it's been 24 years since johnny olson died, but i sort of remember charlie announcing a few shows.  anyone else know if this is correct?
all of this can be yours, if you can afford it.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 10:36:43 PM »
p.s.,  anybody know if charlie o'donnell announced at any time before rod roddy was selected as permenant announcer?  i can't remember, it's been 24 years since johnny olson died, but i sort of remember charlie announcing a few shows.  anyone else know if this is correct?

Nope.

Offline TVLubber

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 11:19:18 AM »
Burton Richardson, all the way!

Offline Steve_Bier

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »
Actually, I'm going to pick Art Sanders, even though he's not listed. He reminded me a bit of John Harvey from "Double Dare".

Offline StoxMan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 02:39:32 PM »
My vote would go to either Burton or Randy. I agree that Gene Wood was a great announcer, and one of my all time favorites. Gene was right up there with Johnny O, Rod Roddy, Don Pardo and Bob Clayton. IMHO, Gene just didnt seem to have the right voice for TPIR. On the other hand, Gene was the perfect announcer for Family Feud.

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 02:44:30 PM »
Why is Daniel Rosen not on this list??  :oldlol:
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 03:10:16 PM »
Why is Daniel Rosen not on this list??  :oldlol:

Wow...The Troll(s) is(are) back!!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!! ;-)

BTW- I was trying to link to that thread about the troll, but I couldn't find it. Can someone link me, or was it removed from the archives?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 03:31:28 PM »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."