Author Topic: Tidbits  (Read 48045 times)

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
Tidbits
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:24:17 PM »
While we were checking on the reports of the new Director, we did learn a few other things from sources at the studio:

- As reported in another thread, Bob is scheduled to appear to promote his book.

- Similar to non-car games being played for cars, non-cash games will be played for cash.  (i.e. SP/GP games)

- Audiences may receive food while waiting in line.

- Still no sign of 3 Strikes.
John

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: Tidbits
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »
- Similar to non-car games being played for cars, non-cash games will be played for cash.  (i.e. SP/GP games)

Um....wow.  Did they take a cue from the recent TPIR video game?

The owner of the bagel shop across the street sure isn't going to be happy when he's losing business to the studio giving out food to the would-be contestants waiting in line.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:29:00 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »
Non-cash games being played for cash?  Sounds interesting but really odd at the same time.  Are they having trouble getting prizes, or did they just decide it wasn't necessary to always find a prize for SP/GP games since the prize itself is not being priced?

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:28:58 PM »

Interesting. Not the worst thing I've ever heard. But it does seem like they're "resorting" to cash in lieu of coming up with nice prizes. Looks like they took a page out of the video game. "It's Master Key for Forty THOOOOU...!!"

Good lord. I love food, but does this mean they're going to have people waiting in line longer? Any connection to the former director of a show infamous for its excruciatingly long tapings taking over?

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »

??? :-?

Y'know that has to be one of the dumbest ideas to ever come down the pike. I can just imagine it now "Look you're gonna play Bonus Game for this..." "Well, it's $10,000 in cash!!!!!!!!!!!" We have the cash games for this, i'm just wondering why in the world they are gonna do this. It's just flat out dumb and crazy.

Offline BVanceVR

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:41:24 PM »
Quote by Rob:

""Look you're gonna play Bonus Game for this..." "Well, it's $10,000 in cash!!!!!!!!!!!""

===========================================

Hopefully they aren't stupid enough to play Shell Game for cash.  That would be the worst!

Offline CaseyBuck

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 10:43:14 PM »
There's probably one reason why they might play "bonus prize" games for cash: it saves time.

Instead of spending 30+ seconds on a prize description, Rich saying "A chance to win $XX,XXX in cash!" takes only a few seconds.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 10:47:25 PM »
That's true.  It does save some time.  I didn't think of that when I first responded.  It's still odd though and just makes it seem like you're playing a Price video/computer game where the prizes are just randomly assigned so anything could show up.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 10:48:04 PM »
Cash offered in Non-Cash Games??!!!.......That's ridiculous!!!!   :roll:

Offline pinball777

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 10:53:06 PM »
I could care less about the non-cash games for cash and it's great Bob will come back to the stage for a short bit, but what I don't like is 3 Strikes. I don't want to see this game go at all and it should be kept. Some of the greatest wins come from the game and its one of my favorites. I sure hope we'll see 3 strikes again.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 10:53:48 PM »
The cash thing, actually makes sense- for the contestants. Easier for the contestants to file paperwork, that's for sure. It could also be good for the show- easier to give away cash instead of hunting down prizes and shoehorning them in. I'm not saying there was anything wrong with how things were done, but I'm keeping an open mind on this. It could be interesting, if implemented correctly.

But of course...change equals bad here.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 10:55:28 PM »
Does anyone know when bob will appear to promote his book.

Offline Howard

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »
Our family always wanted to win a car or cash on THE PRICE IS RIGHT but to me this is not going to be fun.  Whose idea was this?  It seems to be LAZY.  I don't think that Mark Goodson would have ever aloud his producers like Frank Wayne, Jay Wolpert, Roger Dobkowitz to ever use cash instead of a real prize.  It won't be any fun if cash is used all the time.  That's why there are games like Plinko, the Grand Game, Punchboard, It's In The Bag, and 1/2 Off.

LAZY LAZY LAZY!!!

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 10:58:07 PM »
But of course...change equals bad here.

I disagree. What doesn't make sense though is they have enough cash games, why go to the trouble of offering cash in non-cash games. I mean sure it could save time in the long run, but the principle of it just doesn't seem to make any sense. If they do this then why even bother with the regular cash games when you can just offer it in a non cash game. They are treading a fine line here and I believe the implications of such could spell trouble for the cashers.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 11:46:49 PM »
I wonder if this has anything to do with Drew thinking it's better to win a car/cash than some SP/GP--or something like that.  He usually downplays the SP/GP (most notably, I think, in Switcheroo).