Author Topic: Tidbits  (Read 48046 times)

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
Re: Tidbits
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 11:57:23 AM »
Now, playing Double Prices for cash would be ridculous.. lol

How 'bout Clock Game for cash? Or Squeeze Play?
Or maybe Range Game, where you have a big tub, you know, like in supermarket contests, where you have to guess how much money is in there ...

:hammer:

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »
Maybe they just one too many complaints from contestants who really had no clue what they'd do with "A New Dining Room!!"? 

They certainly can refuse to accept the prize. There's nothing that says they have to keep it. Cash is an easy prize, because everyone can use it. I'd be very interested in finding out just how many people accept prizes like those decorative gas pumps they use to give way on occation. Sure, they may look cool, but how many winners actually have a use for them?

Still, I rather not see Price become like WoF, and become a show of cars and cash only.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 12:41:17 PM »
Audiences may receive food while waiting in line.

Do you know why?  It is an enticement of sorts, or are tapings taking so long now that they're giving food to people before the taping since they wouldn't be allowed to leave the studio?

I wonder if this has anything to do with Drew thinking it's better to win a car/cash than some SP/GP--or something like that.  He usually downplays the SP/GP (most notably, I think, in Switcheroo).

I think that is exactly the root of this stupidity.  Drew thinks cars and cash are all worth winning while grandfather clocks, room groups, and burger-shaped telephones are stupid items to have as prizes.  He has to realise that he is the only one so dang obessed with stuff he can't even win.  Contestants like to win cars and cash, yes; but I'm sure if you asked any audience member out in the line before the show that even if all he won on the show was a pink carrying bag made out of recycled water bottles, I'm sure he would be happy because it's the experience, getting called to come on down and win your way up on stage, that makes The Price Is Right so enjoyable.  That's how it's able to last in this day and age where no other game show can seem to sustain itself offering such prizes.  It's not about the prizes.  It's about the experience because the show's been around for so long that it's truly become an American tradition.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 12:48:27 PM »
Drew thinks cars and cash are all worth winning while grandfather clocks, room groups, and burger-shaped telephones are stupid items to have as prizes. 

Now, how many times have we had threads in the past about dumb prizes, or prizes you wouldn't want to win.  If this means I don't have to see the replica gas pump ever again...I'm for it.   

There are still many games that you could never play for cash, Double Prices, Squeeze, Easy as 123... The list is large.   So it isn't like we are going to see 6 games all for either cars or cash.

What I would find interesting is if they would vary the cash amount, or would it be the same every time?
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »
How 'bout Clock Game for cash? Or Squeeze Play?
Or maybe Range Game, where you have a big tub, you know, like in supermarket contests, where you have to guess how much money is in there ...

:hammer:

Squeeze play for cash?

Drew : Ok, now pick one number in the middle out that will make the ammount you think we'll give you and we'll see if your right!

:lol:

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 12:58:50 PM »
What I would find interesting is if they would vary the cash amount, or would it be the same every time?

I would imagine it would be random dollars amounts. Similar to the way they give a bowls of cash occationally in Temptation. Although I'm sure the dollar vaules would be rounded off to the nearest thousand ($5000, $8000...) or hundred ($2500, $7500...).
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 01:00:41 PM »
Although I'm sure the dollar vaules would be rounded off to the nearest thousand ($5000, $8000...) or hundred ($2500, $7500...).

But wouldn't it be fun hearing Rich say "It's a chance to win Eighteen Thousand Five Hundred Ninety-Seven dollars in cash!"? :lol:
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Denials

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 01:06:02 PM »
Yeah, but, doesn't this take away the specialness of the "cash only" games? If they're gonna offer up cash in these other games why even bother with games such as Grand Game, Half Off, Plinko, It's In the Bag and Punchy? I believe some of you are failing to see this point with this decision to offer cash as a main prize in these other games.

I can't believe you actually said that.  Why even bother?  To keep more variety of games, of course!  Yes, I realize you were probably being sarcastic.  But I don't see how it "takes away the specialness" of these games.  It's not like any gameplay is being changed.  I find it hard to understand how you would have a problem playing Secret X for $5,000 in cash vs. a dining room group.  The games are still the same.

I'm going to disagree with the majority and say that I think this is a good idea (provided the execution is good).  It means we'll hopefully see more games played that we don't get to see as often.  Also, it means that there hopefully will be more variety in which games are played first.

And, as someone already pointed out, less time for prize description hopefully means more time back for games (assuming it doesn't just go to commercials too).

Offline FloridaAdam

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 01:24:31 PM »
While I'm not sure how much I like the idea, I do seem to think that playing SP and GP games for cash prizes can yield greater flexibility & variety when it comes to pricing game lineups, by helping avoid overplaying the few pricing games that feature only a cash-based grand prize and more frequent gameplay of pricing games less often seen these days.

Well, those possibilities exist if creative, interesting, and enjoyable pricing game lineup planning results.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 01:30:01 PM »
I  It's not like any gameplay is being changed.  I find it hard to understand how you would have a problem playing Secret X for $5,000 in cash vs. a dining room group.  

I'm one of those who could use a dining room group. I would not mind in any way, shape or form to play for a dining room group or a living room group for that matter. That's the problem with society today everyone is addicted to the almighty dollar. The dining room group will last a lot longer than $5000 that's for sure.

I mean what's wrong with winning a dining room group? I know it's not the most glamorous thing in the world but there sure wouldn't be anything wrong with it.

BTW: Denials, I didn't say the games would not still be the same, I'm just saying if they play non cash games for cash then why would they even need the cash games? In my view it's a slippery slope they're treading and if they're not careful they're gonna fall off the slope.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:35:23 PM by rob79 »

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 01:31:38 PM »
I think that is exactly the root of this stupidity.  Drew thinks cars and cash are all worth winning while grandfather clocks, room groups, and burger-shaped telephones are stupid items to have as prizes.
Actually, it's not really a stupid notion. You are aware that the fact the show gives away prizes like grandfather clocks, antique gas pumps, and Rascal scooters (eh, not so much now that Drew is around) is the subject of mockery, even amongst fans of the show, right?

...but I'm sure if you asked any audience member out in the line before the show that even if all he won on the show was a pink carrying bag made out of recycled water bottles, I'm sure he would be happy because it's the experience, getting called to come on down and win your way up on stage, that makes The Price Is Right so enjoyable.
In a perfect world, sure, it's the experience. Heck, it may be the experience of just getting called to come on down after the fact, but ask the people waiting in line what they want to win, or better yet, what they want to play. The answers would be - a new car or cash, and Plinko. Note the absence of "antique gas pump".

That's how it's able to last in this day and age where no other game show can seem to sustain itself offering such prizes.  It's not about the prizes.  It's about the experience because the show's been around for so long that it's truly become an American tradition.

Or maybe it's the more likely explanation of it's just a game show that people can easily relate to?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:34:00 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 01:58:18 PM »
BTW: Denials, I didn't say the games would not still be the same, I'm just saying if they play non cash games for cash then why would they even need the cash games? In my view it's a slippery slope they're treading and if they're not careful they're gonna fall off the slope.

While you do have a valid point, I think this is somewhat akin to asking why they should keep Pocket Change if they play Range Game for a car.  Does it cheapen all the car games when another game gets played for a car every now and then?  I feel like we've got the same thing going here, with the new 'cash games'. 

It's all going to be, like most things around here, a matter of scale and perception.  Do it just once, or just twice, and I'm sure even you'd think it's a pretty cool idea for a chance of pace.  Do it two or three times a week, and even I'm going to be calling for heads to roll.  Somewhere in between (which is where I think and, honest to God, hope this is going to fall)...it's probably just a matter of how you want to look at it.  If you want to think it's a good thing, you will, and if you're just looking for avenues for further disappointment, this will not disappoint your disappointment.

I'm sure he would be happy because it's the experience, getting called to come on down and win your way up on stage, that makes The Price Is Right so enjoyable.  \
<...> 
It's not about the prizes. 

However, this in and of itself is not a sufficient reason to offer less-than-desirable prizes.  "They should be happy with whatever we feel like giving them" is no reason to not at least make an effort to give them something that truly will make them happy.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:00:28 PM by PriceFanArmadillo »
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline krumie

• Outside in Line
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 02:07:45 PM »
Another thing that may have come into consideration, especially with the state of the economy, is the impact of taxes on contestants. 

If the show is purchasing the prizes rather than receiving it through sponsors or other less costly channels, it would cost them the same, say $10,000 for a trip to Australia or the cash.  However, in the mind of the contestant, it's a trip and then they'd have to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40% in tax making it a rather expensive proposition, whereas if you win cash, they'll deduct $3,500 and hand you a check for $6,500.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 02:14:54 PM »
While you do have a valid point, I think this is somewhat akin to asking why they should keep Pocket Change if they play Range Game for a car.  Does it cheapen all the car games when another game gets played for a car every now and then?  I feel like we've got the same thing going here, with the new 'cash games'. 

Point well take, Army, I hadn't thought if it that way. I guess it could work as long as they do not do it all the time with these games. The key word being "could." We'll find out.

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »
In this economy, what would you rather win...$7000 cash or a $7000 hot tub you either refuse or pay taxes on?

Everybody can use/needs cash.