Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/27/2009  (Read 27270 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/27/2009
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:28:07 PM »
Well, this took long enough.

The Price is Right - Jan. 27, 2009
Production #4602K - Taped Nov. 17, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: mixed - Veronica couldn't count
Handoff: Rachel

Models of the Day: Amber Lancaster, Gwendolyn Osborne and Rachel Reynolds
Wearing: Kitty

1    Mizerak 7' Pool Table (A&G)
2-VERONIQUE 2400 1-LOUIS 2195 3-MINDY *1200 4-DANIEL 1900 ($1400)

Mindi plays 1/2 OFF

Waterproof MP3 Player Dock$15BOXES IN PLAY
Ginger Body Wash Gift Set13$13XALL 16 BOXES
(Liquid Glass) Swim Mask Camera50
(Mytunes) Desktop Speaker2525XALL 16 BOXES
USS Enterprise Telephone70
R/C Beverage Buggy2550*1 2 5 7 10 12 14 16

Pick:   (10)   EMPTY
Stash: ( 1 )   LOSS

2   (Bose) Home Theater System (R)
+Veronique 999 +Louis 699 MARIA 750 +Daniel 1300 ($2999)

Daniel plays THAT'S TOO MUCH! for a VW GTI (Std., Sunroof, Wheels)(A)($26,040)

$16,005 $17,480 $18,941 $21,060 $22,780 $23,891 $25,150 $27,462
LOSS

3   (Dell) Laptop Computer (G-in the Row)
+Veronique 599 +Louis *749 Maria 1750 DEBBIE 1150 ($1004)

Louis plays 1 RIGHT PRICE

C&J Drop Front Secretary (R)$3200$3200WIN!
True Religion Wardrobe (A)$2238

SHOWDOWN #1
$2,020Mindi  5 + 70.75
2,995Daniel60 + 95OV
6,442Louis95 stay.95Through to Showcase Round

4   Miele Washer/Dryer (A)
Veronique 1800 ALFONSO 2275 Maria 1250 Debbie *3000 ($3398)

Debbie plays PASS THE BUCK for a Chevy Cobalt LS (Std., AT, Spare, Spoiler)(R)($17,605)

Free Pick(5) LOSE
Gold Bond Cream$4.61
9 Lives Daily Essentials (bag)5.51$6.51*(3) LOSE
Jolly Time Helthy Pop MW Kettle Corn (3 pk)2.49
Icy Hot Patch6.977.97*(4) CAR   WIN!

5   2 (Infinity) Surfboards (A)
Veronique 1 Alfonso 755 Maria *1000 JASON 1300 ($1225)
STUPID BID

Maria plays SQUEEZE PLAY for a trip to Big Sur (via Monterrey; 5n)(G&R)

Setup:4 3 6 2 7
Pick:$ 4 3 2 7
Price:$ 4 3 2 7   WIN!

6   Broyhill Brenningham Dining Grup (R)
Veronique 2500 Alfonso *1785 LYDIA 2700 Jason 1737 ($1899)

Alfonso plays SAFE CRACKERS for an Almost Heaven Silo Personal Sauna (A) and an Apple iPod Package (G)($5995)

Numbers:0 5 7
Setting:5 7 0   LOCK   ($750)   LOSS

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,899Alfonso85 stay.85Through to Showcase Round
5,552Maria60 +  95OV
21,003Debbie25 +100OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Louis has the honor.

SC1-Alfonso Tuff Stuff AXT3 Home Gym (R)
Weekend Camping Package (G)
Kawasaki STX15F Jet Ski (A)
BID$13,900
PRICE13,891
DIFFOVER
SC2-Louis WAYS TO GO GREEN
Roth Motorboard Electric Scooter (R)
Whitecraft San Miguel Patio Group (G)
Toyota Prius (Std., Climate, Pref.)(R)
BID$28,000
PRICE34,405
DIFF–6,405
TOTAL$40,847

Today's Pricing Games: 3 for 6
Total Winnings: $74,316

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:59:05 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/27/2009
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »
I think this is what, the third or fourth time someone in Half Off was forced to pick from 8 boxes.  Despite the fact that it is very boring to see a car/cash game first, Half Off works well to start a show off.

Well, we have something interesting to talk about, the first Volkswagen offered on the show in several years.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was the first one since the "A Salute to Roger Dobkowitz" showcase from 1978.  I know the GTI starts at about $23,000, but I didn't hear the options that pushed it over $26,000. 

Personally, I think Drew should have asked the contestant clearly what the title was instead of waving his arms and pointing to the That's Too Much sign.  It wouldn't confuse contestants that way.

One contestant's name eludes me at the moment, but she was definitely the contestant of the day.  I think she is probably the second person to take someone else down with her when coming on down (The first one is when someone bumped into someone who just stood up and knocked them down).  I laughed when she almost mauled Drew, and she deserved to win the car in Pass the Buck.  It was a very interesting playing as well, both Lose Everythings were picked first and we knew she was going to win something on the third pick, and thankfully it was the car.  It's such a shame she lost the showcase showdown.

Also, for the first time in almost 20 years, a Toyota was offered on the show.  It kind of makes sense to have a Prius be the one from that manufacturer since it is one of Toyota's best-known products in the United States and many people have been buying it for its fuel economy.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see an influx of Corollas and Camrys on the show in the future.

I didn't see it on television, but I heard that when Rich was recapping the showcase, someone was painting his face green or he had his face painted green.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:35:20 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:53:20 PM »
Responding to a couple of Goldy's points:

Her name was Debbie, and she definitely, to me, is at least contestant of the month, if not contestant of the year nominee. Her enthusiasm could clearly be seen. Also, there was talk in chat that this might be the first time someone got both Lose Everythings and then the car, can anyone confirm or deny this?

I don't know how consistent these other car brands are going to appear, it seems that the majority of car brands that seem rare only have appeared once this year, like the Toyota, the Lexus, the Saturns, etc.

Rich's face was already painted green at the end of the showcase. Other than that random bit it was actually pretty well written, and it got mildly abstract at times but it had a fairly consistent theme.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »
I don't know how consistent these other car brands are going to appear, it seems that the majority of car brands that seem rare only have appeared once this year, like the Toyota, the Lexus, the Saturns, etc.

Unless it happened sometime in 1989-1992 or 1993, there has yet to be a Lexus on the show.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 02:57:21 PM »
Quote from: goldroadfanatic
I didn't see it on television, but I heard that when Rich was recapping the showcase, someone was painting his face green or he had his face painted green.

His face was already painted green when they showed him on screen.  The theme, if you will, of the showcase was "Going Green" or something like that - referring to the new trend of being eco-friendly.  That was the showcase that had the Toyota in it, as well.  At the very end, Rich made some comment about himself being green, or something to that effect, and we saw his face.  It was kinda cute, and good for a chuckle.  It wasn't completely stupid, as some showcases have been.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 02:59:34 PM »
Okay then, I will be sure to catch it on CBS.com later.  I heard the prize descriptions, but maybe Rich's green face won't be as bad as I think it might be.  At least that showcase had a theme for "going green" but, as usual, the prize recap at the end could have been done without.  Although, one could argue that the outdoor furniture required the killing of plants to make it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:04:38 PM by goldroadfanatic »

Offline Steve_Bier

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:05:38 PM »
Well, we have something interesting to talk about, the first Volkswagen offered on the show in several years.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was the first one since the "A Salute to Roger Dobkowitz" showcase from 1978.  I know the GTI starts at about $23,000, but I didn't hear the options that pushed it over $26,000. 

If my recollection serves me right, the last VW offered was a red Jetta sedan with a "manual sliding sunroof", circa 1991.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »
Unless it happened sometime in 1989-1992 or 1993, there has yet to be a Lexus on the show.

...I meant Audi. I for some reason confused Audi and Lexus. Yay me. :p
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 03:13:42 PM »
Halfy:  Those were some evil SPs in today's game.  And for the first time in almost 3 years, the cash was actually in Box #1.

Much!:  I nearly fell out of my seat when those Big Doors revealed a Volkswagen GTI.  This is the first time that a Volkswagen has been offered on TPIR since 1991, and probably only the third VW ever offered since 1978.  The price of the GTI took me by surprise.  I thought it might've fetched $23K.

Bucky:  Possible Historic Moment® today.  This may be the first time that a contestant picked the two Lose Everything spaces and then the car.

Squeezy:  Not exactly luxury accommodations for that trip to Big Sur, if you ask me.  I can't recall TPIR ever offering a trip to a place that require the guests to stay in a yurt or any other type of tent.

SC #1:  Unless that camping gear is over $3,000, this showcase is obviously a cheapo.

SC #2:  I nearly fell out of my seat again when those Big Doors revealed a Toyota.  This is the first time that a Toyota has been offered on TPIR since 1990 (not counting the one time a Toyota was offered on Davidson TPIR).

My showcase bids:
Cheap--$11,907
Hybrid--$30,307
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 03:17:05 PM »
...and probably only the third VW ever offered since 1978.

This is the first time that a Toyota has been offered on TPIR since 1990 (not counting the one time a Toyota was offered on Davidson TPIR).

Actually, there was a VW Bus, a Super Beetle, that Rabbit, and a Jetta.  There were probably others that we don't know about.

Toyotas were offered later than that, through 1991.  There was a $13,000+ Toyota truck in Pathfinder in Christmas 1990, a $8500+ truck on the May 22, 1991 playing of Lucky $even.  There was also a Toyota Previa minivan offered in a showcase on September 9, 1991.  I think I remember Ted recalling that he helped someone win a $13,000+ Celica in One Away.  He mentions that the Tercel was also offered in the late '80's and early '90's.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:19:24 PM by goldroadfanatic »

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »
Both Debbie and Maria had unusually strong reactions to getting called to come on down, and it seemed like both made a lot of friends in line, from the other audience members' and contestants' reactions.

It was really cool to hear the cue used in the first showcase.  How often do we get to hear that much of it?

Half Off has an advantage over Punch a Bunch and Plinko:  it can be made obscenely difficult without making the game dull.  I mean, what fun is Plinko, really, on occasions where the extra chips are nigh impossible to win?

It still feels strange seeing Half Off and Pass the Buck on the same show.  I was disappointed that it wasn't Gas Money.

Quote from: BRB_TheFireball
Bucky:  Possible Historic Moment® today.  This may be the first time that a contestant picked the two Lose Everything spaces and then the car.

I could almost swear that's happened before, though I really can't remember when.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 03:25:14 PM »
Debbie sure made this show worth talking about and it sure was funny! She gave Drew a "bob barker moment". Drew did one of the things that Barker would do and stepped away from the contestant when the prize was shown.

And this isn't a bad thing at all, but has anyone else noticed that the audience attendance is overflowing again within the past two weeks?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:26:51 PM by catdogwheel »
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 03:57:39 PM »
-Lineup: +/- 0, barely. Pass & Squeezy should have been switched.
-Halfy: SPs were too tough to get anything done. 8/10
-OB2: *smooch* XD +1
-TTM: Impossible expensive Volksy! 7/10
-OB3: LMAO! XD XD +1
-ORP: Wasn't sure about the clothes, but they were on the lower end this time. 9/10
-SD1: 4/5
-Pass: El lucky!! 11/10
-Squeezy: A bit random, but $4327 does look the best, I think. 9/10
-Safey: Arrgh! The right-looking price was actually right. Spa was $5425 instead of $5245. :/ 8/10
-SD2: 4/5
-SC1: 5/5
-SC2: Toyota! Almost perfect, until the recap (again). Come on Drew, I know you can do it... 4/5
-SC Results: OUCH! But we will have a DSW on a cheap SC someday. 7/10
-Drew: TTM was a problem, all it takes is one little sentence and it'll flow fine. Excellent reveal on Pass. 9/10

PGs: 52/60
SDs: 8/10
SCs: 16/20
Drew: 9/10

85 + 2 = 87 --> B+
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline jacaya

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 05:22:36 PM »
Debbie most definitely is worthy of being CotM... maybe even CotY (although it's still early for that, so maybe Contestant of the Season is more suitable). I noticed that the audience member she took out during her CoD got back in her seat right after and said she was fine, but during the next CoD... she was missing, so maybe she wasn't after all?

So if Bob had to be on the lookout for wild Samoans, does this mean that Drew has to be on the lookout for crazy "Debbies"? She practically mugged him on stage when she won her One Bid. He almost lost his coat, revealing that he wears suspenders underneath. And I loved his comment... "I'm going to step back here while Rich tells you what you can win" or something along that line. :oldlol:

1/2 Off: Maybe she shoulda listened to her sister-in-law instead of the rest of the audience? Although she was responsible for telling her the money was in box 10, so maybe not. But yeah. Picking one box out of eight is tough enough as is.
*pointing like a maniac at the TTM sign*: HOLY ****!!! A VW!?!?!? I can't even remember when the last time I saw one of those on TPiR was. But it's great to see it making a comeback. But too bad he was WAY off.
1RP: Granted the clothes being offered on the show lately have been pushing the big bucks, but $3200 went way better with the hutch. Glad to see he figured it out too.
Pass the Buck: Wow! Not only did she eliminate both "Lose Everything" spaces, but she also got the car!?!?!? Can anyone confirm if that has happened before?
Squeeze Play: Big Sur? Looks like it may be a cool place to visit, even if it's just further up the coast of California. I know her son, Daniel, is definitely smiling from up above.
Safe Crackers: $570 or $750 for iPod w/accessories? Definitely $750. Too bad he went the other way with his guess.
Showcases: Another rarity makes its presence felt... a Toyota Prius Hybrid!!! That's the good news. The bad? The audience was convinced that there was gonna be a  :dsw:, but instead it turned out to be a  :wsd:... by $9!!! I didn't get to see the Barker-era episode when the contestant went over by $1, so this is my first time witnessing a VERY close overbid. My reaction to that after my jaw hit the ground: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?"

All in all... pretty good show. Rich with a green face was hilarious. Wonder if anyone's gonna use that as their avatar on here?  :-P
That's j-a-c-a-y-a. Just As Confused As You Are.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »
(not counting the one time a Toyota was offered on Davidson TPIR).

There was actually more than instance of a Toyota offered on that version.  There's a Celica convertible offered in one 3 Strikes playing and, per Carlos' video clips, a Paseo offered in Money Game.  There were probably other instances in which a Toyota was offered.