Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/28/2009  (Read 25346 times)

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/28/2009
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 06:41:14 PM »
Drew, giving up $500 in Let 'em Roll isn't gambling.  Camille could not have won less than that.  It was kinda' odd for him to seriously be talking about Camille taking a risk if she went on with her third roll.

I knew it would just be a matter of time before we saw Check Game unable to display an inevitable 5-digit total.

Seriously, did Charles not want to make it up on stage?

Why don't they just stick with the normal camera shots for Secret "X"?  Seems like lately, they shoot it differently every time they play it, and none of the new ways look as good as the old way looked.  It was nice to see the game shot properly last week.

Quote from: goldroadfanatic
I know I disagree with Nick on the whole "seeing contestants' faces" thing when it comes to going over to a just-won car.  But I will say that when it is done every single day, it becomes boring.

It was appropriate today, though.  Camille ran over to the car without being prompted to do so.

Quote from: TPIRnostalgic
Check game: I knew he should have bid somewhere in the 2000-3000 range and I was right.  What the hell was he thinking?

Probably that a trip that was so close to Los Angeles would be very cheap.  I was very surprised at how expensive it was.

Quote from: TPIRnostalgic
Of course, it was obvious who was going to win once Camile overbid.

That's an odd statement.  I mean, it's true, but it's always obvious who won the showcase after the price is revealed for both showcases.  Regardless, I know what you meant to say, and that's less true:  I didn't think she had overbid.

Quote from: jacaya
Secret X: I coulda swore there'd have been a riot if she kept the first X in the middle square. Thankfully the audience got her to change her mind.

Actually, it wouldn't have made a difference.  The X was in the middle today.  She'd have won regardless.

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »
There was a Drew Carey lookalike.  Yeah, he was a spitting image of Drew.
15. Messages posted express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of the administrators and moderations of this site.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 06:50:50 PM »
I know you don't agree with what he says about the show and neither do I, but I personally think that was very disrespectful towards him.

Being disrespectful was NOT the intent of my post. If he feels that way, then I apologize to him.

Brian

BTW - For the record, I never said I disagreed with him. On several points, his viewpoints are much different from mine, but on other points, I agree with him.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:54:24 PM by Briguy »

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 06:52:14 PM »
Quote from: SteveEllis
There was a Drew Carey lookalike.  Yeah, he was a spitting image of Drew.

Um... I may regret asking this, but curiosity's got the best of me:  what is "itt"?

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 06:53:19 PM »
The show really felt like TPIR today.  There were a couple points where watching Drew felt like watching Barker, and there were several others where it felt like Drew was trying to be Bob but didn't quite know how.  I just hope he puts in the effort necessary to get that figured out.

Steve:

I hope I'm not misreading you, but personally - and I think I've said it before - but I think Drew needs to be himself. He'd do a lot better that way

Brian

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 06:54:55 PM »
It's getting better, though I was a lot more impressed with yesterday's show than today.  There were quite a few annoyances today in multiple ways.

Drew has to stop obsessing over the prices of prizes, especially when it leads to stunts like standing out in the audience with the last winning contestant going on and on again about how much she won.  It's stupid, pathetic, ridiculous, whatever you want to call it.  I want it (and all unorthodox returns from commercial) to end now.

Even once I'd like to see Drew let a contestant finish the cheque in Check Game... and not make the stupid crack about the "quill" being around since 1872.

Speaking of Check Game, I was quite surprised they lit anything up on the total display.  "0409" wasn't necessarily drawing away from the fact the total didn't fit.

Secret "X" was weird.  From unusual angles to Drew forgetting to give Jeanette her second X and then fumbling his way around once he remembered, it was a strange playing.

I won't deny that I found it funny how uncannily similar to Drew Jim was, but I really hope that's not what prompted Stan to pick him.  Jim seemed to have a bit of character to him, so at least it didn't come off all about the looks, even if that's all he was chosen for.  I just don't want to start seeing audiences with Drew lookalikes.  It was done once and it shouldn't be done again or at least not for a very long time.

Oh, my gosh, Bart didn't use the jib when Laverna was called to come on down!  How long has it been since we had a decently-directed calldown like that?  It showed ever so clearly that the jib is so useless.  It looked so much better to not have any swerving shots from the jib for a change when a contestant was coming on down.

Wow, the first Showcase sucked.  It's bad enough they have Rich doing prize recaps but to draw the audience in on it too... I sincerely hope that was the only time we ever see that.

Nova Scotia, there's a good place for a trip, but you know, if the theme was fishing, Prince Edward Island would have also worked just as well.  Now, do what I say and offer a trip to Prince Edward Island.  Show to me definitively that you're really listening to me. :)

Nick:  I was thinking as I saw today's showcases and heard the prize recaps. Y'know something buddy, ol' pal ... these prize recaps must be dedicated to you! Just because you love them SOOOOOOOO much!  :D

Please don't.

I know I disagree with Nick on the whole "seeing contestants' faces" thing when it comes to going over to a just-won car.  But I will say that when it is done every single day, it becomes boring.

It is extremely overdone, especially if Drew's not sending people over to snowmobiles too; but really, wouldn't you rather see the contestant ecstatic face than their rear end at their car?

It was very interesting that Bart did a split-screen to show how Drew and Jim looked so similar.

Yeah, something about that seemed very planned to me.  Bart can't seem to even get a close up on the pointer of the Big Wheel, even when Drew draws attention to it, as happened a couple of times today.  How the heck did he pull out a split screen so fast?  As much as I'd like not to think this was the case, I think it was planned.  Bart knew Jim, a lookalike, was going to be called; and it's not unreasonable to think so.  Drew even said that he was "just talking to him."  I'm sure a stunt like his would have drawn a lot of attention in the studio, and it wouldn't be impossible to communicate to Bart that he was going to be chosen next.

personally - and I think I've said it before - but I think Drew needs to be himself. He'd do a lot better that way

No, on the contrary, Drew is a lot more enjoyable on the occasions where it feels like you're watching Bob.  We've seen "Drew being himself" too much this season, and now that is being curbed back.  I think it's quite clear what works.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:59:11 PM by Nick »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 07:04:56 PM »
Yeah, something about that seemed very planned to me.  Bart can't seem to even get a close up on the pointer of the Big Wheel, even when Drew draws attention to it, as happened a couple of times today....

I don't know if you ever saw this, but on February 22, 2008's show, Bart used a split-screen to show Drew and the just called-down contestant as she arrived to contestants row.  I wonder why he did that, it would be more suited to have Rich on one side and the panning of the audience on the other, if you ask me.

Also, don't the cameramen and the jib operator have a map of the audience as well as photographs of each of the members so they can shoot the area accordingly to get the perfect shot as a contestant is called?

It is extremely overdone, especially if Drew's not sending people over to snowmobiles too; but really, wouldn't you rather see the contestant ecstatic face than their rear end at their car?

Quite honestly, back when it was done only on occasion, I didn't care about seeing their face at all.  I can understand that if one sees an ecstatic face of a contestant when they run to their car, it makes the moment much better.  I really liked that they were there with their prize and I enjoyed that they ran to the prize in the first place, since it wasn't the norm.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:10:08 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »
Um... I may regret asking this, but curiosity's got the best of me:  what is "itt"?

I may have posted that because when someone is an exact lookalike to somebody else, it is called "spitting image", not "splitting image."  "splitting image" means little or nothing, cept maybe "splitting an image"

with apology to Joe Capitano.

I did a yahoo search on the two terms.  "splitting..." got 159,000 hits, "spitting image" got 2,600,000.

By the way, I found this webpage while doing my research.
A tv show aired in the United States in 1986, 3 years after I graduated High School.  A wonderful funny show satirizing politicians and newscasters.  I forgot about this until I ran this search.  No reply neccesary.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 08:53:53 PM by Joe_Capitano »
15. Messages posted express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of the administrators and moderations of this site.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »
Did anyone notice the edit during the 6th pricing game (Switch?)... when Rich says "How about a grandfather clock and his and her toolboxes...")  The Cats "jumps" right after Rich says toolboxes, there is no background applause, and his voice is louder/clearer during that intro.  Just something a nerd like me would notice, probably!

By the way, I really liked this episode.  Although, I admit I only watched it up through SS2.

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 09:22:56 PM »
Thank you Joe Capitano.  I see you edited my previous post so you must have read it.  I still don't know how to put a link in some words.

question for the group: Seeing today's episode made me think of the balloons a audience member tied together to look like Drew.  I searched this site I do confirm the date that show aired was 11/05/08.

Does anyone here have a good quality picture of the balloon animal and Drew together?

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 09:32:59 PM »
Let 'Em Roll is not a good first game at all. I said it when it was played first before and i'll say it now why bother playing it first. It feels more at home either 2nd, 3rd or 5th. Preferably 5th.

Secret X was just bizarre--from the bizare camera angles, to Drew's bizareness during the handling of that 2nd X. Just weird.

Ha ha ha, someone actually got a total in Check Game that didn't fit on the display.

Any Number again?!? Where in the world is Pocket Change? Does Adam have like a lovefest going on with Any Number and some kind of aversion to Pocket Change?

Another random thought: Are we ever gonna see a gp or sp game 6th again? It feels like forever since we've seen a gp or sp in the anchor spot.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 09:39:24 PM »
Roll: Very nice.

Check: I pretty didn't expect a trip to Yosemite to cost over $5K nor did I expect to see someone "Tilt" the CG toteboard.  8-)

Secret: If Jeanette left her first X on the left-side middle slot, I would've exploded. But she got lucky in the end.

Side: $8099 was the way to go.

Any #: If Drew ever looks for s stunt double, Now he'll know who to call.  :D :-D :lol: The sofa isn't such a bad prize.

Switch: You just knew that the right thing to do was switch.

Showcases: Even though the 1st showcase had a theme about DJ's and the Party atmosphere of it all. Having the audience sing along to the recap looked a bit ridiculous. When I saw the boat, I figured it might not cost a lot like the sportier boats we normally see. Boy, was I right. I'm pretty sure Magda made her boys proud.

A 3.25-star show.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »
Ha ha ha, someone actually got a total in Check Game that didn't fit on the display.

They really ought to make the display just say "OVER" when they're over. Yeah, we wouldn't get the total amount of the check, but when somebody goes over in the showcase, we don't get a display of how much they were over by...
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline yabbaguy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 09:43:49 PM »
Got to miss school due to some snowfall, but I missed out on the first two games. :(

Secret X: When do you stop calling them "small" prizes?  :-D
IUFB 4: Hey... it's Jim Carey!  :lol:
Side by Side: call me crazy... but it seemed like she didn't get a chance to really change her mind. It was kinda treated like stepping on a Pathfinder number... once you hit it, you're locked in.
Any #: I probably would've had the piggy bank today on this one. :(
Switch?: His + Her *toolboxes*... didn't know such a thing existed. ("The Original Pink Box", was it?). I thought "Switch!" before the Doors were done opening.
Showcases: Overall were very good, audience particip. could've been left out as most have said. It was kind of a clever theme, but I kinda don't like this new attitude Rich has adopted (and I don't entirely blame the showcase writings for this) of deliberately introducing all these prizes in a hokey sort of way. "I'm sorry, I was distracted by the music...... *change of emotion* On my new headphones!!!" It just felt odd and evoked that "Heh." kind of... laughter (if that's the right word?).

Good show overall. :)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 09:45:37 PM »
They really ought to make the display just say "OVER" when they're over. Yeah, we wouldn't get the total amount of the check, but when somebody goes over in the showcase, we don't get a display of how much they were over by...

That's not a bad idea at all mrbrown. I could live with that for Check Game. I still can't believe someone got a total of over $10k in Checky.