Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/27/2009  (Read 27183 times)

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/27/2009
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 06:26:18 PM »
A Joe Plinkos do notice moment from today's show: As Drew was reading the retail price of the non-winning contestant's showcase, a friend stated, "Drew would be much better if he read the prices and hosted a little more upbeat all the time instead of getting so depressed when someone loses. It really brings the feel of the whole show down."

Today's show was a bit better to me than yesterday's, but Drew really mumbled his way through a couple segments, especially during the playing of Safe Crackers. I'm still amazed that, at times, a man who's been in television this long can still not speak clearly at times.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 09:50:01 PM »
1/2 Off:  Tough luck! :-(  I think the contestant should get to pick half the boxes when there's more than 2 left.
That's Too Much:  That was a tough one!
One Right Price:  FINALLY, a winner after 8 games in a row not being won between yesterday and today! :-)
Pass The Buck:  How lucky! :-)
Squeeze Play:  Good job! :-)
Safe Crackers:  Curses! :-(
Showcases:  What a heartbreaker for Alfonzo (sorry if I spelled his name wrong), being over by $9! :cry:

Definately a better show than yesterday, IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:15:27 AM by Joe_Capitano »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 11:03:46 PM »
Wow, today's show was so much better than yesterday's.  It still had problems -- Drew could have hosted Squeeze Play and Safe Crackers a bit better, and there was one line in the second showcase that really should have been cut -- but it was a major shift away from The Drew Carey Hour and back toward The Price Is Right.

Debbie was wonderful!  She was one of those contestants who kind of makes you glad Bob retired, because if he hadn't, he probably would have had to after this episode. :oldlol:   Seriously, her kind of enthusiasm is one of the things that makes the show so much fun.

I wish Drew wouldn't look behind the numbers in Pass the Buck and Money Game before he reveals them.  He has a tendency to telegraph what's behind them, and it makes the whole thing less exciting.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 05:02:18 AM »
Hey All!

See this show if you have taped, DVR'd, Tivo'd it or whatever!!!  Debbie was a classic contestant!!!  She gave a new meaning to the landmark phrase, "Come on Down!" changing it to "Take on Down!!" LOL!!! (A You Tube Moment!!!)  The BEST moment of the Drew era since Plinko's "Potty Lady!"  Do you agree?  I proclaim her title to be "Dangerous Debbie!" (and was she ever!!!)  She went after Drew, grabbing his sportcoat and the thing was half-way off! hahaha!  Than she seemed to apologize and got Drew "dressed" again!

This is the type of energy that I love when on a day of Price, when  The Price really IS Right!  It felt like that today!  The only issue is that Drew, as other have said, seems to have trouble sustaining positive energy from show to show.  But this was great!  This was close to Roger being back again, or at least up to the shows we saw Christmas week.  I was impressed.

Joe

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 10:17:59 AM »
Half: I didnt think those SPs were all that bad.
TTM: For a Volkswagen!?!? Interesting to see these different types of cars on the show. As for the game, pretty much a forced loss.
1RP: Those designer clothes can be tricky, and it seems like we've seen a lot of them in this game in particular.
PTB: Debbie was a great contestant. Drew's reveal was very good as well.
Squeezy: Good for Maria. She's just one of those you have to root for. I was thinking 4627, but who cares what I think?
Safey: 750 just sounded like the best option there.

SCs: Wow, a VW and a Toyota in the same show. Nice. I'd actually like to see a little more of that. SC1 was very cheap, but I thought it had to at least break 15K. And the whole green-faced Rich thing was not necessary.

Lineup: Meh. Better than most we've seen lately, but still not great. We just saw 1RP and Squeezy on Friday. Interesing that they'd play 1RP with Safe in the same show. Pass and Squeezy needed to be switched in the worst way. And, even though I hate the game, it was a nice change of pace to see it in the 2 hole.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »
Timings:
1/2 Off (5.5)- 5:53
That's Too Much! (5) - 4:04
One Right Price (3.5) - 3:25
Pass The Buck (5.5) - 5:52
Squeeze Play (3.5) - 3:02
Safe Crackers (4.5)- 4:10
Total time (27.5): 26:26 (another pretty full lineup today - perhaps they're listening to us)

Well, the evil setups and depression continued for the first half of the show today, but things picked up in the second half. Still, the SP portion of 1/2 Off is never SUPPOSED to be that evil. You never really want it to come down to a 1-in-8 shot unless you're trying to force a loss. Then after that, That's Too Much! (making a rare appearance in the first half, cool to see by the way) was nigh impossible today. That's Too Much! becomes unfair when it features a car never offered on the show in several years, especially one as sexed up as that was. That screamed forced loss. Nice to see Volkswagens back on the show though - that just was not an appropriate game for one to show up in.

However, the second half of the show was really quite nice today. Three GREAT contestants with Debbie, Maria, and Alfonzo, especially the first two of those. Debbie seemed LFAT-ish to me as she successfully maneuvered her way through a pretty darn tough GP portion of Buck only to get lucky on the guessing game portion in a way that probably has never happened before. By the way, Drew, GREAT reveal on Buck today - the hosting in general was above-average, and that reveal took the cake; I'd like to see more of that style in the future. But between everything that happened, mostly Debbie, Pass the Buck was actually an enjoyable segment to watch today, which is something I can't say very often about it. I wish Maria had gotten a longer game than Squeeze Play so Drew could interact with her more. Also, what the heck was up with that trip? I'm sorry, I know you're going for more diverse trip packages, but no trip that requires someone to stay in a tent (unless it's a luxury tent) should never be offered on TPIR. I'm not exactly sure the message they're trying to send offering that style of a trip on TPIR while offering Louis Vuitton accessories at the same time. Now, as for Alfonzo, just tough luck today. The wrong end of a 50/50 shot at Safe Crackers followed by a $9 showcase overbid?! Ouch. That showcase was the cheapest showcase in at least 2 years on TPIR, am I right? Still, he was an enthusiastic contestant today and it was tough that only one of those three could advance to the showcase.

Speaking of the showcases, Drewcases are now on a 2-showcase winning streak of being funny while not simultaneously being annoying. Today's followed the same formula as yesterday's, and I think it's a good formula to follow a lot of the time.

Ah, one more thing - Drew's hosting, like I said, was good today, but he should REALLY REALLY REALLY stop mixing up One Right Price and One Wrong Price. Especially since they seem to be playing both games every week now! Still, very solid show today.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:16:00 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 11:25:14 AM »
Much better today.  Perhaps this is the start of the turnaround.  Still, there's lots more that needs to be fixed.  General things here and there with Drew and the Showcases too, but by and large, today's show was decent.

What had to be absolute sweetest thing with today's show.  No freakin' "alakazam" in ½ Off!  Thank you, Drew.  Thank you!  Granted, the reveal could have had more energy to it, but "alakazam" wouldn't have done that.  There was so much more oomph to it because the dang stupid word wasn't there!  Gosh, I really hope Drew's last use of that word has been done.  I really want to see Double Prices now.

That's too Much! isn't quite so evil when the price is much further down the line as opposed to early in the line, but it was still pretty tough.

When Debbie attacked Drew after coming up on stage, and then Drew told her to stand back as the car was revealed... wow.  That was a vivid flashback to Bob, and I loved it!  Drew handled that very well.

However, Drew didn't handle the reveals in Pass the Buck so very well.  He must stop peeking behind the numbers before revealing them.  He completely gave away that he was revealing the car.

The lineup was decent today.  You had all the right kind of games in there, but some of them should have been switched around in some different slots.  At least we had both a GP and an SP game.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 12:50:59 PM »
1/2 Off: I knew there wasn't a very good chance, with those evil SPs.
That's Too Much!: A VW??? Now we're getting some variety in there. I hope they keep this up.
1 Right Price: Wow, seems like they offer designer clothes in this and other quickie games! Great win to boot!
Pass the Buck: Two Lose Everythings, then a big comeback! All I can say is, Wow!
Squeeze Play: Another terrific win here.
Safe Crackers: Drat! That was one evil setup!
Showcases: A Toyota on the show??? Now that's the way to do it! A Prius is not a bad start, and considering the current sorry state of Detroit's Big Three, I'd love to see more of the imports on TPIR, and not just Hondas either. Now, if only Nissans were offered again, and IIRC, I believe 1991 was the final time they offered one (as I've seen this particular clip in Carlos' Video Vault collection).

Well, here's to seeing more import-brand cars on TPIR!!!

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 09:08:31 PM »
1/2 Off: Boy, those SP"s had the words "Killer" and "Evil" written all over them.  :evil: Too bad.

TTM: A VW???!!!!! :-o :-o :-o WOW!!!! It took me until after I heard Rich's description of the car for me to realize that.  :lol: 16 years after the last known VW ever offered...They're back (If only they still made the Cabriolet  :-() and here to stay!!!! I have to agree with this game not being the right choice for it to be offered especially with a biga** price.  :cry:

1RP: I don't even want to go in on what was my choice.  :roll: Nice win.

Pass: Man, Debbie was such a BLAST!!!!!  :D :D I rolled when she and that audience member took it to the floor when they hugged.  :lol: Seeing her almost take Drew down with her was also such a riot.  :lol: It was her last choice that came through for her and I'm really happy she got that car. A nominee for COTY in my view as well.  :-)

Squeeze: Daniel is smiling down at Maria for such a good job.  :-)

Safe: $750 was the way to go but Alfonso didn't take that way.

Showcases: A very well-themed showcase #2 capped off by a TOYOTA!!!!!!!!  :-D :-D :-D Bring on more. Bring on more.  :D :D Alfonso just didn't have a day that he hoped it would be.  :-( :-( $9 Over!! AWWWWWW!!!!!!

A 4-star show.

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 09:44:36 AM »
Pretty good show. 2 shockers as well: A VW AND A TOYOYA IN THE SAME SHOW!!!  :-o Doesn't get any better than this! Shocked about the guy over by $9 in his showcase.

Have showcases been getting cheaper or what? $13000+ for a showcase? Next thing you know we will see an $11999 showcase again
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »
BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Debbie
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline ky72x

• Outside in Line
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »
Sounds like a good episode, I hope it gets a rerun during the summer.  It's always great to see different cars other than the same old, same old stuff. 

Those Volkswagen GTI's are pretty nice.  I guess the options really added up; I would've stopped at $25,150.  Too bad they don't make the Fahrenheit Edition GTI's anymore, that would be awesome to see one on the show.

Too bad for Alfonso going over by $9.  At least the Prius was won, though.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 06:25:12 PM »
Game #85 (#7,006)

Showcase #1
Home Gym - $2,599
Camping Equipment - $1,894
Jet Ski - $9,398

Showcase #2
Scooter - $799
Outdoor Furniture - $9,232
Toyota Prius Hybrid Sedan - $24,374

Total show prize value:  $129,914 (26 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for January 27, 2009
Daily Records
High:  $73,407 (Shane Stirling, 2004)
Low:  $15,195 (Rebecca Mary, 2004)

Rachel Reynolds
January 27
Total dollars:  $57,932
($55,203 won, $2,729 lost)
Total prizes:  10 (7-3)
Cars:  2
Trips:  1

After 70 shows
At this point, it's not even February yet!  She would normally reach 70 episodes by May, but late January?  Wow!  The odds are unbelievable.  Can she reach a season total of $8,000,000 before the season is over?

Total dollars:  $3,698,465
($1,757,200 won, $1,941,265 lost)
Total prizes:  595 (389-206)
Cars:  75 (30-45)
Trips:  50 (28-22)

Amber Lancaster
January 27
Total dollars:  $48,944
($8,261 won, $40,683 lost)
Total prizes:  7 (4-3)
Cars:  1
Trips:  0

After 19 shows
Total dollars:  $951,990
($521,879 won, $430,111 lost)
Total prizes:  146 (105-41)
Cars:  18 (9-9)
Trips:  11 (6-5)

Gwennie Osborne
January 27
Total dollars:  $18,695
($16,013 won, $2,682 lost)
Total prizes:  9 (5-4)
Cars:  0
Trips:  1

After 7 shows
Total dollars:  $355,422
($151,433 won, $185,294 lost)
Total prizes:  65 (37-28)
Cars:  8 (3-5)
Trips:  9 (5-4)

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 10:05:17 PM »
Exciting wins here in One Right Price, Pass The Buck and Squeeze Play.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats