Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/04/2009  (Read 28097 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/04/2009
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 10:44:31 PM »
I was so afraid at the end of last week that the change in atmosphere we saw during the Christmas shows was going to wind up being a fluke after all.  Fortuneately, that doesn't seem to be the case -- all the shows so far this week have been above average, and even the stupid elements (Drew not being behind Door #2, the "Hey, Drew!" prize descriptions) haven't been as stupid as they usually are.  Like I said yesterday, it's not enough in and of itself to completely repair the show...but it's a damn good start.

Drew's hosting was very good today.  There were still things I would have done differently -- working on the explanation of Dice Game, giving a bit more exposition after the wrong answers in Secret "X", and stating things a bit more bluntly when it became obvious that Most Expensive wasn't going to be won -- but again, it's a damn good start.

Wow, the only two games won today were the car games.  That's unusual.

Wow, Secret "X" and Line em Up got played again already!  That's not bad by any means -- just surprising (although Bonus Game instead of Secret "X" would have been nice).

The kinds of showcases they had today are fine, but I do wish they'd start using skit showcases again alongside them.  There's nothing wrong with having something like "The Dating Show" or "Star Schlep" every few days.

Speaking of the Showcase...a toilet?  I get that it was part of a bathroom package, but still, that's a bit odd.

Who in the world is Tom Stever?

I think he's a basteball player. :)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »
I wonder if those who don't like when Drew sends them to their Cars, feel the same about Pat Sajak. Pat does the same thing. And I really don't see a problem with it.

The problem is, for me anyway, contestants used to go and run over to the car on their own every so often. It was a "once in a while" moment that was really neat when it finally happened. Drew telling them to run over and see the car after a win kind of steals the thunder of their celebration by dictating how they should respond. Also, it kills the "specialness" of that "once in a while" moment if Drew tells them the same thing every time. The more Drew tells the contestants what to do, the less chance they have to be stars in their own right.

I don't mind Pat sending winners to their cars. That just "fits" Wheel of Fortune. It'd just look weird to me if they didn't get sent over to the car when Vanna awaits.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:49:34 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 10:50:21 PM »
I wonder if those who don't like when Drew sends them to their Cars, feel the same about Pat Sajak. Pat does the same thing. And I really don't see a problem with it.

There's a difference. Pat sending contestants to their car on Wheel of Fortune = meeting Vanna White. Not to say if someone wins a car on Price that they don't want to meet the models (maybe back in the day when the models weren't rotated constantly, but I doubt now. I remember many moments when contestants wore shirts just to meet the models. As a matter of fact, Carlos should be able to upload a clip from the 25th Premiere where a guy wants to meet Chantel and Bob does it after a one bid.) To be honest, I bet half of the studio audience would not even know the names of the models if Drew didn't mention them constantly. Vanna is more well-known. Also on Wheel, most contestants and their families join Vanna by their car.

On Price, Drew does it all the time, even if they really don't want to go to their car. Drew seems to force them to go their cars, while Pat invites them.

I could care less if Drew sends contestants to their cars, but its better if the contestant does it on their own. I love it when they run around a like crazy before the car plug is read. That's usually 100 times better and funnier.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:57:18 PM by 3StrikesFan »

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 12:12:48 AM »
Game #91 (#7,012)

Bidding Round #1, (Prize #4,900)
Brandi fans, cross your fingers for February 18, so keep your eye on her until she reaches her 5,000th prize.  The countdown begins now, and then, there were 100.

Showcase #1
Big City Chefs - $3,000
Range - $5,299
Trip to Florence - $7,790
Sanibel - NADA may say $18,745, but I, at Golden-Road.net, say $26,095, and I have the price of its 1972 equivalent, the HMS-18:  $2,854.  The HMS-18 was discontinued in 1980, with a price of $5,490.  Both HMS-18 and Sanibel are 18 feet.

Showcase #2
Living Room - $5,520
Bathroom?  Did Rich say "bathroom"? - $13,400
Bath Accessories - $441

Total show prize value:  $159,249 (26 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for February 4, 2009
Daily Records
High:  $76,908 (Nikki Ziering, 2002)
Low:  $17,138 (Gwennie Osborne, 2008)

Rachel Reynolds
February 4
Total dollars:  $48,255
($21,921 won, $26,334 lost)
Total prizes:  7 (4-3)
Cars:  1
Trips:  0

After 76 shows
Total dollars:  $3,995,641
($1,857,713 won, $2,138,128 lost)
Total prizes:  649 (420-229)
Cars:  82 (31-51)
Trips:  56 (32-24)

Brandi Sherwood
February 4
Total dollars:  $56,739
($37,440 won, $19,299 lost)
Total prizes:  9 (7-2)
Cars:  1
Trips:  0

After 52 shows
Total dollars:  $2,249,200
($1,126,083 won, $1,123,117 lost)
Total prizes:  429 (283-147)
Cars:  42 (19-22)
Trips:  43 (22-21)

...and then, there were 92.

Gwennie Osborne
February 4
Total dollars:  $67,255
($23,700 won, $43,555 lost)
Total prizes:  10 (6-4)
Cars:  0
Trips:  2

After 13 shows
Total dollars:  $607,205
($292,174 won, $315,031 lost)
Total prizes:  115 (67-48)
Cars:  11 (5-6)
Trips:  16 (6-10)

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 02:17:08 AM »
Speaking of the Showcase...a toilet?  I get that it was part of a bathroom package, but still, that's a bit odd.
I think what's more odd is that Drew didn't make a joke about it... considering the way he is, I thought that was a lock to be something he'd take off and run with.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 12:31:46 PM »
I could care less if Drew sends contestants to their cars, but its better if the contestant does it on their own. I love it when they run around a like crazy before the car plug is read. That's usually 100 times better and funnier.

Agreed. An example: Anyone remember Scott's runamuck after winning Any Number a few years back? I don't remember what kind of car he won, but I do remember his reaction of running all over the place and even running over to Rich who shook his hand. It's spontaneous celebratory reactions like that I really like--not the being told to go over and celebrate by the car--but the individual contestant's reaction to winning.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 03:47:55 PM »
Range Game:  Rats! :-(
It's In The Bag:  Good thing Douglas (not Laura, Joe) walked with the $2,000!  There sure aren't very many $16,000 winners.  Perhaps they should let the contestant keep the $1,000 no matter what if he or she has the first bag right.
Dice Game:  Great job considering 2 out of the 4 rolls were 4s! :-)  I think 3 and 4 are the toughest numbers to have to try to guess higher or lower than (for lack of a better way to put it) because they're right in the middle.
Secret X:  Horrible loss! :-(
Line Em Up:  From a wipeout to an exacta.  Awesome job! :-D
Most Expensive:  Too bad! :-(
Showcases:  Good showcases today!  That toilet in the second showcase was pretty neat lookin'.

Pretty good show overall, IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:52:10 PM by Cartboy »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 10:07:45 PM »
Timings:
Range Game (4) - 3:33
It's In The Bag (6.5) - 5:55
Dice Game (4.5)- 4:21
Secret X (4.5) - 3:41
Line 'em Up (5.5) - 5:02
Most Expensive (3.5) - 3:09
Total time (28.5): 25:41

Well, we were certainly overtimed today, and what a solid lineup of games too to boot! If not for the Secret X wipeout followed immediately by the LEU exacta shortening up both games a bit (that's really not something you often see, a wipeout followed by an exacta), we might have needed some editing for time. I'm beginning to think time isn't as scientific a thing to Adam as it is to Roger - I'm probably going to start a thread in Talk Is Right in the next couple days elaborating on this. Still, great game selection today - that can't be argued.

We certainly saw some random prices today, and a budget seemingly out of control with a huge first 3 acts and then a huge $40,000+ showcase. Seems the range of daytime showcases is ever increasing and now can cover a range of $30,000 even on an "average" show. Seeing the toilet in SC2 was just odd but I thought it was a pretty cool price - I'm fine with them offering bathrooms if they're as expensive and sophisticated as that one was. One unfortunate thing it does mean is that bathrooms won't be as funny when offered in Host Your Owns now that they've been offered in an actual show.

That Bag setup today was easier than some have been - I won the game. Still, I like the increased selection of random GPs the show uses to go along with the sponsored ones - it keeps the contestants honest! Yet, the fact the sponsored ones are there consistently makes the game not too unreasonably hard even for someone who watches on a semi-regular basis. I'm happier to see these random GPs than I am those random supplements that always seemed to come up last year, that's for sure.

We unfortunately had Rich-Drew interaction during a one bid today, which was a little silly, and we also had a Dr-entrance. But, this is still the old show. It's enjoyable again. It has its bits of silliness in it - and folks, that is what Drew brings to the show, just like Bob's teases in Punchboard are what he brought to the show. Different hosts, different skills. Yes, they were taking it way over the top this season. However, if they continue along this track (and maybe even make the showcases a little more skit-like, as long as they keep them coherent - again, that golfer showcase was excellent), they'll be OK. If Drew continues to master the games also and start to come into his own as "THE host of the greatest game show in the world" like he has really started to do in the past couple weeks (be honest, folks), we'll be just fine. That leaves our main concern left to be, of course, the lineups, which I'm beginning to see a certain logic too (again to be elaborated on later).

Offline jmangin

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 05:13:39 PM »
For perspective, the $590 fur offered on the 1st daytime price in 1972 would have been about $3,050 in 2008 dollars.

http://www.aier.org/research/worksheets-and-tools/cost-of-living-calculator

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 07:31:36 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 04:47:17 PM »
Range: Too bad.

IITB: I knew he had no chance putting the Hot Pockets in the $3.39 bag and I would've had no chance at the $16K. It was a real toss-up between the juice and the mashed potatoes. I'm glad she bailed, though.

Dice: Very nice.

Secret X; Talk about rare bad luck.

Line: An EXACTA!!!! Boy, was Laretta overjoyed or what? Excellent.

Most: Too bad.

Showcase: The first one left me wondering if this was gonna be a biggie after seeing cooking lessons offered. I would've bidded at least $33K. A bathroom offered in a showcase??!!!   :-o :-o :-o Who knew we would see the day!!!

A 3.25-star show.

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 08:10:22 AM »
A nice choice of episodes to rerun yesterday, with exciting wins in Dice Game and line 'Em Up. A good show overall, too.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats