Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/05/2009  (Read 11346 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/05/2009
« on: February 05, 2009, 02:53:16 PM »
The Price is Right - Feb. 5, 2009
Production #4614K - Taped Dec. 8, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right
Handoff: Brandi

Models of the Day: Gwendolyn Osborne, Rachel Reynolds and Brandi Sherwood
Wearing: Kische

1   Trip to San Diego (4n)(R)
YUMIENKA 3500 MICHAEL *2000 ANNAMARIE 1000 KAILLAH 2500 ($2212)

Michael from Philadelphia plays 5 PRICETAGS for a Chevy Cobalt LS (Std., AT, Spare, Spoiler)(G)

$17,605Bluetooth Sunglasses$199TRUE$199*
(2)$18,495NO(Art Detoilette) Scale80FALSE95*
(1)$20,790NOPink Messenger Bag50FALSE75*
(3)$19,705NOZeppelin Telephone65TRUE40
$21,690LOSS

On his first pick, Michael was polling the audience (STOP IT, PEOPLE!!!) and pulled off the third pricetag, showing it to the gathering (it counts as a pick). Not a good idea. That's for Drew to do after you declare. And we don't need to see you pointing for five minutes at the pricetags. Just pick.

2   4 Dailsy Rock Girl Guitars (G)
+Yumieka 1400 LAUREN 1250 +Annamarie 2250 +Kaillah *800 ($1126)

Kaillah plays PUSHOVER for a Harley-Davidson XL883C Sportster Motorcycle (B)

Setup:3 7 9 1 8 9 7 5 2
Pick:3 7 9 1[8 9 7 5]
Price:$9189   LOSS

3   Aqua Cat tropica Day Sailer
+Yumieka *2700 Lauren 1350 +Annamarie 4000 JESSE 3800 ($3295)

Yumieka from Detroit, MI plays ONE WRONG PRICE

Recycling Cabinet (R)$1902
3 Louis Vuitton Handbags (G)PICK2395$3065   WIN!
Weber Gas Grill (B)1137

SHOWDOWN #1
$1,126Kaillah65 + 65OVThrough to Showcase Round
2,581Michael70 stay.70
9,399Yumeika  5 + 55.60

4   Stamina Aeropilates Pilates Table (R)
DAVID 800
Lauren 1100
+Annamarie 1150
Jesse 735
OVERBID
($699)
STUPID 2nd BID

Lauren plays COVER UP for a Jeep Compass (Std., Rally, Stereo, TAxle, #26E, BlkHtr, Tow)(B)

Setup    1 1st Try [2][4] 8 [6][5]
2 3 2nd Try [2][4][3][6][5]   WIN!
3 7 8
8 1 3 5
2 6 0 6 6
  3 4 8 0 4
$1 9 5 9 0

5   Snowboarding Equipment (G)
David 649 ELLEN 1500 +Annamarie 650 Jesse *675 ($717)
STUPID BID

Jesse from Las Vegas, NV plays PICK A PAIR for a Yamaha PZ50 Phazer Snowmobile (G&R)($6599)

(3) Campbell's 99% Fat Free Cream of Celery (10¾ oz)$1.53KEEPS
(5) Glow in the Dark Doggie Ball4.61
(6) (Miegra) Mechanical Pencil1.53WIN!
(1) Gold Bond Cream (1 oz)
(2) Hot Pockets (2 pk)
(4) Jolly Time Healthy Pop MW Kettle Corn (3 pk)

Mimi's been a busy little spider this week. Like a Black Widow she sets up her little web and waits for someone to get trapped in it. Today it's Annamarie. Is she doomed to a lifetime banishment to the "First Four" Breakfast Club or can she somehow escape this sticky situation. Luckily, she has the last bid...

6   Saeco Tulea Espresso Machine (G&R)
David 1200 Ellen 550 +Annamarie *600 BONNIE 350 ($1030)

Annamarie escapes! She plays SQUEEZE PLAY for a Westley Allen Queen Size Bed and a Bemco Posture Fairfax Sleep Set (B)

Setup3 7 2 9 1
Pick:$ 3 2 9 1
Price:$ 3 7 9 1   LOSS

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,030Annamarie15 + 15.30(Puny 2nd Spin)
7,316Jesse30 + 35.65
25,064Lauren90 stay.90Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Lauren has the honor.

SC1-Michael PRIZES DELIVERED TO PORT O PRICE BY "LITTLE TOOT" THE TUG (G)
Hearland Combination Range
Great Lakes GL4 Spa
58" Plasma TV
BID$11,000
PRICE17,345
DIFF–6,345
SC2-Lauren Apple iMac Computer
5 iPods
3 Room Wireless Music System (R)
Trip to Ashville, NC (4n)
9d European Castle Tour (via Munich)(B)
BID$19,500
PRICE22,248
DIFF–2,748
TOTAL$47,312

Today's Pricing Games: 3 for 6
Total Winnings: $68,764

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:37:58 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline redhawkhockeyfan

• In Contestant's Row
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/05/2009
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 03:03:59 PM »
Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker, but have finally decided to join the fray!  Just a few thoughts on today's show.

The last time Drew went without a tie, some questioned his professionalism.  I don't really have a problem with it as long as he does it infrequently.  I enjoyed it just for the fact that he didn't have a tie to shove back in his coat 10 times a segment.

Good to see 5 Price Tags again.  Actually played the SP portion poorly, earning only one guess.  Fortunately, I picked El Cheapo to salvage a win. 

Drew did a good job varying his comments coming out of commercials.  Always nice to see some variety. 

Easy Pick a Pair set up today.  He really did not have to drag that game out that long. 

Big Wheel has been cold lately.  We need to see some money won there!

Finally, good to see a classic showcase like Port O' Price show up today! 

Enjoyed the show today!  Again, I'm happy to be a member here!  Look forward to great discussions in the future!

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »
I enjoyed (Drew not wearing a tie) just for the fact that he didn't have a tie to shove back in his coat 10 times a segment.

I couldn't agree more. So nice to see Drew not do that.

And welcome to the boards by the way. Always nice when a lurker decides to post.  :biggrin:

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:29:57 PM »
Yay, Five Price Tags!  If you're going to start a show off with a car, this game is definitely one way to do it with.

Michael really rubbed me the wrong way today.  When he was heading towards Drew, who was already at door #2, he had an air of being a show-off.  Drew handled the incident of the contestant picking the tag on his own will very well.  Michael really hurt his chances of winning by doing that but then, again, it was pretty tough, with all the prices ending in zero or five.  One has to wonder if Michael didn't pick the tag himself, the audience may have talked him into guessing the correct price.

I was kind of amazed that Lauren won Cover Up, I had a feeling it was the three, but I thought it may have been the one or zero, despite the fact I have seen that sexed-up Compass for a few times now.

When was the last time a dog chew toy or a pencil appeared in a GP game setup?

You know, when you have 4.5 minutes to kill on the sixth game, it would really have been nice to have a multi-prizer show up instead of Squeeze Play.

It was nice to see the Port O'Price showcase come up again, unfooled around with this time.  The second showcase wasn't really bad at all, save for the prize recap at the end.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 03:32:38 PM »
You know, it's a shame that Lauren didn't use the Cover Up strategy, since she clearly knew that getting four numbers right off the bat was bad!  I kinda' suspect she knew the proper strategy, but just didn't think to utilize it up on stage.  Nerves can do that.

Speaking of Cover Up, I really like the way Drew revealed the price.  That's one of the few things I'd always felt Bob should've done differently.  It really makes for a better reveal.

You know, I wish we got to hear more of Lauren's little "I'm a huge Price is Right fan!" conversation... just had to cut to commercial quicker than usual there, didn't they?  Considering how long it usually takes for them to cut to commercial, with all the useless bumpers and all, it's a shame they couldn't have shown more of that.

Anyone else quite relieved that Drew counted Michael's grabbing the $20,790 price tag as a pick?  So glad Drew didn't just count it as a free error... not that it would have made much difference, since we found out his fourth pick would not have won, anyway.

Yay, Port o' Price, in classic form!

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »
Yesterday, we had one of the best lineups in a while.  Today, 5 Price Tags showed a strong start, but it tanked from there.  Where's the four or five prize games?  Now or Then?  Stack the Deck?

Raise your hand if you were a) happy that Port 'O Price is still in the Showcase theme rotation and b) that they didn't screw with it.
*raises hand*

(Also, I have heard that the First Bank of Price was taken over by the FDIC after making some really bad loans.  So don't see it anytime soon.  :D)
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »
Five Price Tags:  Too bad! :-(  Yeah, Joe, I hate when a contestant takes forever and 3 days to make a decision, too.
Push Over:  Not far enough by 2 numbers - rats! :-(
One Wrong Price:  Good job! :-)
Cover Up:  Great job! :-D  I think Drew just revealing the price instead of asking if it's right works if the price has to be right or it's over because there's no new numbers right.
Pick A Pair:  Pretty good job! :-)
Squeeze Play:  DOH! :-(
Showcases:  I thought Lauren's showcase was more expensive than it was because of the two trips.

Raise your hand if you were a) happy that Port 'O Price is still in the Showcase theme rotation and b) that they didn't screw with it.
My hand is raised, too.

Good show overall, IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:26:26 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Online sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »
Five Price Tags:  Too bad! :-(  Yeah, Joe, I hate when a contestant takes forever and 3 days to make a decision, too.
Push Over:  Not far enough by 2 numbers - rats! :-(

Dude, in the future, lay off the blue....

MOD NOTE: That is an order. Too hard to read. Use black. - JC
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:25:30 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
-Lineup: -1 (-2 quickies, +1 5PT) :(
-5PT: Great to see this game, easy setup with 3 False's...epic fail. He could have lost with all 4 tags it seems. STRUCK DOWN BY EL CHEAPO... 6/10
-Pushy: Yeah, we've seen this exact price before. $8975 was a good fake. 8/10
-OWP: Tough today, she figured out -95 doesn't work for multiple things. Good. 9/10
-SD1: El risk...no worky. 3/5
-Cover: A nice -5 setup doesn't matter when you're stuck with 4 right, as she realized. Still, she got it done. Maybe should have done 26k and she would have the win guaranteed (0 is never 3rd digit in this game). 10/10
-Pappy: Matching Campbell and Gold Bond proved to show some weird GPs, and it messed up everyone. A bit of a lucky win. 8/10
-Squeezy: It's not that cheap, sorry. 8/10
-SD2: 4/5
-SC1: Perfecto Port O' Price well enjoyed! 5/5
-SC2: Another double-trip ending? Why, I ask? The audience was definitely subdued by this undermining climax. Recap was more creative. 4/5
-Results: Wow, 9-day tour is as much as Australia. Lauren manages to combine top car with top SC for big day. 8/10
-Drew: Did good on the .30 tie, almost made a comment on David's $1 underbid in OB5. It's hard to comment on such a standard day with all the quickies ( :roll: ), so I'll give the 9/10.

PGs: 49/60
SDs: 7/10
SCs: 17/20
Drew: 9/10

82 - 1 = 81 --> B-
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:09:07 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 06:25:47 PM »
The good part: Five Price Tags and the Port O Price showcase.

Now the bad: The overall lineup and the slotting. There was no need whatsoever for Pushover, One Wrong Price, and Squeeze Play to ALL be played in the same lineup, esp. with Pick-a-Pair showing its mug today. Good grief how much undertimed was this lineup today because it felt very very very very very very very very very very very short (you get the point).

Also, can we get some good games last again? Please.  We had Make Your Move last a couple weeks ago and that was about it.

Oh, by the way about Michael. I'm glad he lost Five Price Tags. Yay for Drew counting Michael's shenenigan as a pick. Good job, Drew.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 07:13:43 PM »
Opening:  Yay!  Casual Drew today!

Taggy:  Yay!  5PT! :P  I could smell this loss coming from a mile away.  I don't think anybody except for the LFATs knew that Cobalt = cheap.  Michael's premature reveal notwithstanding, it's clear that he probably never would've picked the right price even if he had all four picks.

Pushy:  Crapshoot.  $8,975, $9,189, and $9,752 were all reasonable prices.

1WP:  Yeah, I knew that $2,395 looked way too low for three LV handbags.

One-Bid #4:  WTF kind of a backdrop is that?  And how does it match the pilates machine?  WHOO shout-out to Scott! :-D

Cover:  OK, I'm really getting sick of seeing car games in slots 1 and 4 on the same show.  And I'm particularly sick of the same old car games in slot 4.  Switch it up, Adam.  Slot Cover first and Tags fourth.  Hell, Tags fifth or sixth would've made this lineup just as interesting.

Pappy:  Wow, a dog toy and a pencil are GPs today.  This might explain how the staff managed to find two products worth exactly $1.53 and two products worth exactly $4.61.

Squeeze:  Yeah, not only was this lineup boring, but according to Kev, it timed to only 26 minutes.  Once again, I ask:  Is it really worth ditching the long car games (*cough*3Strikes*cough*) and the multi-prizers?

SC #1:  Yay!  Port O' Price!  First!  And in its normal form!  :P

SC #2:  More unique, interesting, and hard-to-price trips--Asheville and a European castle tour (with one of those castles being in the Czech Republic).

My showcases:
FRPOPS--$16,049
Random trips--$14,049
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 08:41:56 PM »
Wow, Five Price Tags again already!

I loved hearing Drew vary his comments when asking for the bids today during the third IUFB.  That's something Bob was excellent at, and it was nice to have it back for a little while.

Yay!  A completely normal Port o' Price showcase!

You know, the lineups really are the next thing that needs fixed.  On top of the first game being played for a car way too often anymore, the sixth game has been a quickie every single day for three weeks now.  They really need to get some cars, GPs, and SPs back into that slot -- it's far, far worse than it ever was when they did this with the fourth game, because there's really nothing to anticipate when it happens sixth.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 08:48:22 PM »
I actually thought today was a pretty good show. It was nice to see the lineup flow easily, even though we once again got car games first and fourth. Michael did better than most contestants usually fair with the SPs, however he seemed confused beginning when he was trying to find the stairs to come on stage and then thinking Drew was a camera. lol And unfortunately even if he did get all four SPs, I doubt he would've won the car still.

BTW, I thought Drew looked great today! He also did a superb job on hosting all around.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Lauren's a LFAT for sure... a normal contestant would have been thrilled at getting four numbers right in Cover Up. :lol:

What do you know! A trip to my lovely homestate. I bet that's a TPIR first.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Lauren
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 10:32:34 PM »
Timings:
5 Price Tags (5.5) - 5:56
Push Over (4) - 3:13
One Wrong Price (3.5)- 3:25
Cover Up (5) - 4:56
Pick A Pair (4.5) - 4:38
Squeeze Play (3.5) - 2:58
Total time (26): 25:06

26 min and 3 quickies=not such a good lineup. Great to see Tags though. And great to see a normal Port o' Price showcase! Good to see that they still have enough respect for the classic showcase themes to bring them back from time to time, and fortunately not butcher them anymore with Rich speaking in pirate like they did that one Port o' Price showcase earlier in the season.  Now, as for Tags, Michael losing, well - he looked to the audience way too much, and pulling the tag off was just a bad idea. Like others have said, Drew counting that tag as a guess was the right call - the contestant does have a certain responsibility to pay attention to the rules. That being said, at least he didn't have the "falsies" on the small prizes like others have done - that earned him three picks. However, Cobalts=cheap, and not very many outside of LFATs seems to know that, therefore making that a tough Tags setup today.

Speaking of Drew, solid hosting job today! I thought he did especially well on Tags and on Cover Up - he is really improving at the latter game and knowing the rules. Also, I too along with Frank noticed the LFAT playing Cover Up knowing that 4 numbers were bad. That was a very nicely done win though, despite the long odds there of guessing that random crapshoot third number. I think a car with that exact price has been offered on the show before, which is why I won today. One thing I do wish Drew would stop doing is, in multiprize games, trying to add up the value of the prizes (especially since it stalls him as he does mental math!) and emphasizing that value. I think he said "$5,000" or "$6,000" worth of prizes no less than three separate times in One Wrong Price today and it just gets annoying. That is one thing he does need to work on.

Now switching to things that HAVEN'T been offered on the show before - a dog toy and a pencil in Pick a Pair? I guess it can be excused given that the prices of Campbell's were $1.31 and $4.83 and they needed to really go out of their way to find bizarre stuff to match. Still, I enjoy their willingness to do that and to increase the randomness of GPs, as it does really make the games more about pricing knowledge than before. As long as they don't use this randomness to make setups entirely impossible, this is a good thing to see on the show. Speaking of Pick a Pair, when will contestants ever learn that it doesn't matter what product you start out with, ever, really, although it's helpful to start with one that you know a match with if you can? Still, it doesn't matter. We'd save a lot of time that way, and perhaps Drew should emphasize that more in his explanations.

One thing I did notice today that struck me as kind of funny was a budget incongruency between today's show and yesterday's show. To recap and break both shows down:
Yesterday's show (with total amount of potential prizes to be won per act):
Act I-$21,805 Act II-$17,199 Act III-$23,934 Act IV-$5,710 Act V-$19,377 Act VI-$8,639 Showcase I-$42,184 Showcase II-$19,361
Total prizes: $158,209
Today's show:
Act I-$19,817 Act II-$10,315 Act III-$9,399 Act IV-$25,064 Act V-$7,316 Act VI-$4,821 Showcase I-$17,345 Showcase II-$22,248
Total prizes: $116,325
Does this difference seem a little odd to anyone else or is it just me?  I feel like some of the games could perhaps have been switched around a bit here.

Pretty good show today despite the lineup.