Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/13/2009 (Couples Price)  (Read 58688 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/13/2009 (Couples Price)
« on: February 13, 2009, 02:58:34 PM »
The Price is Right - Feb. 13, 2009
Production #4625K - Taped Jan. 5, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Brandi

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Amber Lancaster and Brandi Sherwood
Wearing: Wish Collection

In honor of Valentine's Day (tomorrow), it's the first ever COUPLES PRICE. Married & engaged couples mostly, and they play together throughout.

1   Tag Heuer His/Hers Stainless Watches (A&L)
IAN/NANCY *1350 MICHAEL/DONNA 999 FRANCIS/KATHLEEN 1099 TRAVIS/KIMBERLY 1 ($5500)

Ian & Nancy play LET EM ROLL for a Restored  '75 Chevy Corvette Stingray (B)($22,900)

Hot Pockets (5 pk)$5.25
Gold Bond Ultimate HealingHIGHER9.56*
Ester C Supplement (120)LOWER13.99

THE ROLLS...

1.4 Cars & $1500Banks 4
2.CARWIN!

2   Teleflora Flower Arrangements (1 yr)(B)
GARY/CYNTHIA 725 +Michael/Donna 825 +Francis/Kathleen 799 +Travis/Kimberly *499 ($720)

Travis & Kimberly play FREEZE FRAME for a trip to Hawaii (NWA Vacations; 6n)(A)

39$3923
LOSS

3   42" LCD HDTV (L w/Rich on TV)
Gary/Cynthia 1675 +Michael/Donna 1225 +Francis/Kathleen *1400 JEFFREY/CRISTI 1200 ($1499)

Francis & Kathleen go to a SWAP MEET (1st playing since Dec. 16)

Sigma DP1 14MP DIgital Camera (B)$799
(3) Roth Motorboard799   WIN!
(1) 3 Mark Jacobs Handbags2395 (Not Revealed)
(2) Little Miss Liberty Heart Crib2049 (Not Revealed)

MORE PRICELESS GODCHILDREN: Somehow, this is a good day for Drew to announce this. For the third season running, we've a bun in the oven. First Shane, then Gwen, now Brandi. She's preggers - and it's twins this time for she and Dean. Due date: June 12 - the final day of the DTV transition. Congrats to both and break out the maternity wardrobe. Anyone wishing to express their best wishes to the couple can do so HERE

SHOWDOWN #1
$720Travis/Kimberly  90 stay.90
7,549Francis/Kathleen  60 + 90OV
28,400Ian/Nancy1001.00Bonus 5   *$10,000*   Through to Showcase Round

Remember Ian & Nancy from the opening act? Well, it turns out they weren't engaged - yet. Now they are. Ian - no, Nancy - proposed during a stopdown. Just needed the right place to pop the question, eh?

4   Glass Door Fridge (B)
Gary/Cynthia *1275 +Michael/Donna 2101 DARRYL/VANESSA 1200 Jeffrey/Cristi 2100 ($1699)

Gary & Cynthia play LUCKY $EVEN for a Mercury Milan I4 (Std., ParkAssist, Prot, Stereo)(A)

Picks:4 6 7 –  
Price:  $2 1 3 9 –
Bucks:7 4 1 0LOSS

5   Tiffany Heart Locket Bracelet (A-in the Row)
JAVANO/NATASHA 1500 +Michael/Donna 1575 Darryl/Vanessa 1000 Jeffrey/Cristi *1576 ($2075)

Jeffrey & Cristi play PUNCHBOARD

Wii Fit$70HIGHER$90*(12)1000
Grundig Portable Clock Radio45LOWER59
Foot Massage Spa115LOWER99*(25)100
Vera Wang Princess Perfume50HIGHER70*(10)50LOSS

Ah, yes. Valentine's Day. A day when love and romance rule - unless you're stuck in the Row like Michael and Donna are. The "First Four" Breakfast Club is preparing a special "feast" for them if they can't escape the Row - and it's not Filet Mignon, kids. Will Mimi be making like a chaperone?

6   Recumbent Exercise Bike/Ivanko Color Dumbells (B)
Javano/Natasha 1375 +Michael/Donna 899 Darryl/Vanessa 18 HIEN/LINDA *1512 ($1600)

Michael & Donna head off to the clubhouse while Hien & Linda play DOUBLE PRICES for a Yamaha VX110 Waverunner (L)

$10,175
( $9298 )WIN!
$9298PICK

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,699Gary/Cynthia70 stay.70
2,394Jeffrey/Cristi30 + 65.95Through to Showcase Round
10,898Hien/Linda10 + 80.90

SHOWCASE ROUND
Ian & Nancy has the honor.

SC1-Jeffrey/Cynthia Trips to Beverly Hlls (2n)
Denver (3n @ Magnolia)
New Orleans (6n @ Harrah's)
The Hamptons (via Hartford; 7n)(B)
$1000 Cash
BID$17,278
PRICE21,963
DIFF–4,685
TOTAL$24,347
SC2-Ian/Nancy (Samsung) 60" DLP HDTV/Blu-ray DVD Player/Netflix (1 yr)(A)
Broyhill Carson Manor Bedroom Group
Comfortaire GS 700 (L)
Audi TT 2.0T (Std., Info, Stereo, CLimate, TIreMon, Spoiler, Wheels, Tech)(A)
BID$53,850
PRICE50,250
DIFFOVER
TOTAL$39,400

Today's Pricing Games: 3 for 6
Total Winnings: $88,003

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:41:15 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/13/2009 (Couples Price)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »
Due to a snow day, this was the first episode I've actually "seen" on regular TV in a while.  (Thank God, since Innertube doesn't want to put up episodes in any reasonable time frame, but that's another thread...)

For me, the best parts of the show were: (1) Rich's face time during the third onebid, and (2) Brandi's announcement.  I liked the presentation of the TV with Rich being shown as he read the description - certainly hearkens back to the Rod Roddy days when he would do that  (I was only waiting for Lanisha to "grab" the remote the way they did that with candy packages ;-) ).  And, Brandi's maternity announcement was great news, and somehow seems so appropriate on today's show!

Drew really didn't need to make such a big deal out of Rich's goatee... three times.  He may have said something during the third onebid, but I didn't think it was necessary beyond that.

Since I didn't catch Thursday's episode online, this was the first episode I saw with the plasmas.  My take on them: they have potential.  Perhaps R. Brian DiPirro could find some interesting uses for the rear screen besides displaying trips.  Rich doing a calldown would be neat.  Displaying trips on them I think will seem kind of awkward.  The center of attention should be on the stage, and if the screen in back is displaying a trip, audiences might begin looking to the back, which is kind of a no-no on television.  The smaller ones are, well, too small.

The format of the show worked out well, and I kind of liked this special themed-show.  For me, it made more sense than the Halloween episodes, or the 4th of July, or the up-and-coming CMA show.

Oh, and BTW, Swap Meet is played!  Any time we get a MP game besides the "usual" I feel especially happy anymore!

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »
Pros:
  • Drew is right - that '75 Chevy Corvette Stingray was quite possibly the coolest prize the show has offered... ever. Anybody know if the show offered one back in 1975?
  • Good to see Swap Meet back
  • I really liked the way the 3rd IUFB was presented.
  • Surprise surprise, the powers that be didn't make fools out of themselves with this special.

Cons:
  • The couples "thing" could've worked better. When this show was originally announced, I envisioned couples taking turns with games, spinning the wheel, etc. We saw none of that - essentially, it was just a contestant on stage with a friend that just happened to be their significant other.
  • Enough with the goatee stuff! (At least we know Rich shaves it off)
  • The distribution and dollar amounts on Punch-A-Bunch really needs to be changed. $50 shouldn't even be on the board.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »
Upon hearing that couples would be playing the game, I decided to not pass my judgment until I saw the show for myself.  I did just that today and here are my thoughts on it.

This is probably the first time since the Cullen version of the show that a vintage restored automobile was offered as a prize, not counting the restored Mustang on the Game$how Marathon episode of the show.  Personally, I would think that it would be worth way more than $22,900.  I guess they had to factor in depreciation since 1975 as well as the cost of restoring everything to showroom condition.  What's interesting about the car is that the 1975 model year was the last one that featured Corvette convertible for 11 years, as well as the first time the car had a catalytic converter.

I never thought I would say this, but yay for Swap Meet showing up!  Hopefully we will see some more games that have been MIA for some time come up again in the coming weeks.

I want to say a congratulations and good luck to Brandi on her pregnancy.  Not that it's a bad thing, but I wonder how often Drew will mention her expected children from now until May or June, when she presumably goes on maternity leave.

The wheel has been hot and we have another $11,000 winner on it!

Personally, I wonder how the couples were instructed to act during the show.  It seems that the women were always at the mic with their partners behind them, I would think they would take turns throughout the show.  The same goes for Let 'em Roll, spinning the wheel (if it applies), Lucky $even, and Punch-a-Bunch.

The banter with Rich and Drew before the sixth item up for bids' reveal was just unnecessary.

Geez, the second Audi this season!  Personally, I can't help but think that they wanted both showcases to be won with a price of $50,250 for the second one and the fact that $50,000 is a nice round amount to bid.  It's a shame that Ian and Nancy lost, they were fun to watch throughout the show and I was rooting for them.

Overall, I think it could have been worse, Drew or Rich could have been dressed as Cupid and we could have had showcases as bad as the Fried Chicken, Pie Fight, and LA Kings one, but today's weren't that bad.  I really didn't see any issues with having two people on stage playing a game that was designed for only one person, and I think it worked out decently.  We had plenty of surprises today like that vintage Corvette, the Audi, and Swap Meet showing up after almost two months of being MIA.

One thing I find interesting, possibly a hidden message, the "Cupid fired 3 Strikes" at the end of showcase #2.  Does it hold any water?  We will find out in time...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:15:50 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:14:06 PM »
You know, what I feared would happen did indeed happen.  Most of the couples seemed to have been chosen for only half of the couple.  Aside from spinning the wheel, Jeffrey and Francis pretty much didn't do anything!  For most of his appearance, except for right when he got up on stage, Gary seemed to be actively hiding!  I was worried about this... it's got to be hard to find nine great contestants.  It's got to be infinitely harder to find nine great couples, and, well, two out of nine isn't really that good.  Though to Stan's credit, he can only do so much, and I'd imagine this sort of selection process was new to him, and probably harder to find the gold today because of the different process.

Ian and Nancy, and Hein and Linda seemed to be the only two couples for which both members seemed to be in the whole spirit of the show, and seemed in love--kinda' sweet to see, really--but we got what we got, and two fun couples are better than zero :).  Still, real shame Hein and Linda didn't get into the showcase.  And that Ian and Nancy lost the showcase.  Ah well.

I've never been so happy to see Swap Meet before.  Still wish they'd go back to the old staging for the "first prize," though.  Really looked better not pushed back against the door.  Still wonder what reason they'd change it for.

Anyone notice the line "Cupid fired Three Strikes" in the showcase?  Is there a hidden meaning to that, one wonders....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:16:01 PM by Frank15 »

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 03:14:41 PM »
First off, Congrats to Brandi and Dean on their upcoming bundles of joy!! I guess we'll be down to 4 models for a while, starting in May. Hope no new models appear. It'd be great if Shane came back, but I seriously doubt it. You know after Drew announced that Brandi was pregnant it started to make sense. I noticed that Brandi has not been modelling as many prizes with swimsuits as she had before.

I enjoyed today's show. I know some may not, but the format worked surprisingly well.

Let Em Roll for a vintage Corvette was interesting. I just don't really get why a vintage Corvette and not a new 2009 Corvette. It would have been fun to play 3 Strikes for a 2009 Corvette but there's another hopeful wish that was not gonna happen.

Hey, we saw a new pricing game today: SWAP MEET  ;-) 8-O!!! I'm glad to see not all these multiple prize games are being tossed aside. I hope the rest return soon.

Punchboard 5th was nice to see. The small prizes were definitely not as difficult as last time.

The showcases were good. I figured out that the contestants are looking at a monitor on stage when they showed the trips off at the screen behind the audience. Ian and Nancy kept looking towards the doors when Rich was describing the trips so they must have been looking at a monitor. By the way, is Drew still writing the showcases or did he give up?

Speaking of Rich, I'm so glad he got rid of his goatee in upcoming shows. Just as I thought, Drew kept going on and on about it. It was getting extremely annoying today.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
The banter with Rich and Drew before the sixth item up for bids' reveal was just unnecessary.

Especially when you can tell it's scripted.  The banter between Rod & Bob (or Johnny & Bob) always was genuine and seemed natural -- these exchanges between Rich & Drew just seem forced.

Offline TheGoldenArcher

• In the Audience
  • Your 2009 Stanley Cup Champions
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »
I actually guessed $50,000 for Ian/Nancy's showcase, as a stab in the dark. I think it's cool every once in a while to have a blind guess set up for a possible DSW.
Still waiting to make the pilgrimage....

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 03:25:34 PM »
I thought today's show went well. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it could have been much worse than it was. It seemed a lot less awkward than similar "Millionaire" and "WOF" shows. The classic Corvette was a great first prize.

Drew mentioning Rich's beard more than once was indeed unnecessary.

I am glad the showcases were normal. Seeing Drew or Rich dressed as Cupid had crossed my mind.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
Anyone notice the line "Cupid fired Three Strikes" in the showcase?  Is there a hidden meaning to that, one wonders....

I found that line to be very odd. It had absolutely nothing to do with the showcase that was being presented, so it did strike me as a little odd that they would put it in there, almost like they intentionally wanted to hint something to the fans.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
A couple of things I want to add...

I really liked how Bart showed Rich describing the TV on the TV itself.  He hasn't done that since 2002 at the latest, when Rod's camera time was removed.  The way Rich and Lanisha "fought" over the remote kind of reminded me of Carlos' videos showing the effect of the model dropping something into the TV and Rod catching it, be it candies or some other grocery item.

The set decorations were pretty good, but they seemed to back off on the turntable for some reason, I do like that they had a heart pattern on the plasma screen.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Enzo Aquarius

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »
Since the Barrett-Jackson car auction took place not long ago, I checked to see if the Corvette offered was from said auction. Although there were some '75 Corvettes, none matched the one shown on today's episode. Nonetheless, it was a great surprise to see.
CSS 2008/2009 Note-Worthy Stats - 1 QSW - 5 DSW - 23 Top-5 Wins - Top One-Day Winnings: $204,648
CSS 2007/2008 Note-Worthy Stats - 9 DSW - 37 Top-5 Wins - 3 EXACTAS! - Top One-Day Winnings: $83,874. 

A Proud Member of Team GRRR!

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 03:51:19 PM »
The format was interesting and enjoyable to me today.  I wouldn't want to see it every day, but I like these special episodes, when they are done well.

A few things I noticed....
1.  The "holding pen" for contestants on the right had the blue slip covers today.  Is this new?
2.  I like the reveal for trips on the back plasma screen for pricing games.  It causes the contestant to be looking in a good direction for reaction shots by the cameraman.  
3.  Scanning the crowd today, it appears that there were a few same-sex couples, or perhaps just a few audience fills.  Not that there's anything wrong with that....
4.  The Swap Meet price reveal thingy needs some WD-40
5.  Stingray...VERY hot prize!

Rich has a goatee...I get it...now stop it...
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 03:52:04 PM »
1.  The "holding pen" for contestants on the right had the blue slip covers today.  Is this new?

I believe it has been there since at least January.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 03:54:04 PM »
No, I don't think so.  I just re-checked the 2/11/09 episode on Innertube and they aren't there.  I do believe this was the first episode to have these.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 04:07:32 PM by Joe_Capitano »