Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/16/2009  (Read 37960 times)

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Beware my red pen....
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/16/2009
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 05:45:28 PM »
My Temptation rule remains the same: When the four gifts total more than $5,000, take the prizes every time.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »
I feel mixed on the Big Ol' Trip to New York showcase. On one hand, winning one trip is a lot easier to deal with than winning three (How many people are able to get that much time off?), and I always think it's interesting to see a showcase that's a little different. But it seems bizarrely hard to price extras like half-a-day with a professional shopper, and basing a showcase around a single prize increases the odds that a contestant doesn't care about anything in his or her showcase. Plus, the showcase feels like one...really...long...plug, even if it's technically several. Having a few different prizes breaks up the pace a bit.

My at-home bid of $15,000 (which is as low as I ever bid) wasn't bad, but I had no clue if it was going to be $12,000 or $45,000.

On to the rest of the episode; I second Frank- hooray for today's lineup! Especially Temptation! I hope we see it again soon. Side by Side also pleased me- not sure why, since it's been played at a very healthy rate this year.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the $4000+ jewelry in Temptation. I about fell out of my chair when they showed the price!

They've been doing that since Bob's last couple of seasons. This is good. The game gets more exciting when the prizes are harder to give up.

For Cliff Hangers...I don't mind Drew goofing around, but goofing around that takes the focus away from what's happening in the game (or away from the contestant) isn't good. Just then, it was a little more important to see where Hans was gonna stop.

Offline FlipFlopper7769

• 4/10/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 06:13:27 PM »
Ok show today! Buffalo viewers got pre-empted during the price reveal in Temptation due to the tragic plane crash in Clarence. Prayers to those folks.

Did anyone catch the reference to "The Producers" when Drew revealed top winner Debra's showcase price? One of my favorite musicals, and quick thinking by Drew when Sardi's came up!

You can go ahead and call me "Mr. Money Game"!
I was on TPiR: Jan 8, 2007!  AIR DATE: Apr. 10, 2007!

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »
Tempty: Great to see it again! And I think this is a nice first game. Thought that was an odd car price. I probably would've bailed.
Cliffy: That recorder was tough. Thought he had lost, but nice win.
SBS: Easy. Nice to see this game in the 1st half for a change.
TTM: I feel like this was set up to be lost, with the price that far down the line.
Hi Lo: Tough. Those trash bags are always deceiving. A couple of others were there too where it's tough to determine the cost since we really haven't seen them before.
Pushy: Toss up between 6394 and 5639.

Didn't like the mega one-prize showcase to NYC. Just felt long and dragged on. The price, however, could've been much higher than it was.

Nice lineup. Switch Hi Lo and TTM and it's really nice. Nice to see an SP with Tempty. Two of the better quickies as well. I thought the returning game today would either be Tempty or Magic #. Now, hopefully Bonus returns soon.

I thought the sunglasses thing with Drew was funny and unexpected.

Bart sucked today for obvious reasons.

Enjoyable show.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
Tempty:  Yay!  Temptation! :P

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the $4000+ jewelry in Temptation. I about fell out of my chair when they showed the price!

Nobody has mentioned it because $4,000+ jewelry in Temptation has not been uncommon over the last couple of seasons.

Cliffy:  What's up with the remix of the car cue for a bedroom set?  I thought Hans was a goner when Gereshom whiffed the windchime clock.  Fortunately, Gereshom got lucky on the voice recorder.  I figured that voice recorder would be somewhere between $40-$50, so $45 was clearly a safe guess when you have only $5 to spare.  Bad camerawork during this game.

Sidey:  Yay!  Side By Side in the first half! :P Good to see this game get an increase in playing this season.  Better than another damn playing of Squeeze Play or Double Prices.  Now it would be nice if they've ramp up the playings of Check Game, too.

One-Bid #4:  Good to see Drew model a one-bid prize.  A very pleasant surprise to see him wearing the last pair of sunglasses.

TTM:  Hey, Adam, I thought I said cool it with the car games in slots 1 and 4.  But WOW!  Alyssa won it with the right price being in the eighth position!

Hi-Lo:  I'd expect evil setups like this when the game is played for a car, but not for a pair of cheapo motorcycles.  $8.79 for trash bags is just atrocious.  The ending for this segment was even more atrocious.  There had to be an obvious edit here, since Todd97 did say in chat that the prices of the shampoo and toaster sticks were revealed.

Pushy:  Good to see this game last.  Hell, it's good to see this game instead of Squeeze Play or Double Prices.  The console alone is at least $4,000, so I knew that $4,537 and $3,945 were definitely wrong.  The other four prices were all reasonable guesses.

Lineup:  I'd say this was probably one of the best game lineups we've had in months.  Yeah, I know, I've got a beef about the car games always being in slots 1 and 4... but one of those car games was Temptation!

SC #1:  "Debra, do you like working out?"  "No!"  Finally, a contestant who is honest about not liking something. :-D

SC #2:  LOL!  The billboard in that second stock photo of NYC advertised "Hollywood Squares" on CBS 2... and that show has been off the air for 5 years!  I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that yet in this thread, but we had a field day with it in the chatroom.

My showcase bids:
Gym/boat--$29,307
New York--$14,007
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Todd97

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »
Yes, I was at the taping.  I'll repeat a few things I said in chat plus some other tidbits I remember.

This was my first and so far, my only, trip to see a TPIR taping.  I had a blast and didn't care if I got called down.  In fact, I was secretly hoping not to be called because I just wanted to watch the entire process. 

First...I need to thank everyone who put effort into the "So you are going to a taping" thread.  Because of all the information in there, I knew exactly what to expect, when to show up, etc.  As a result, I got a front row seat and enjoyed the view.

The audience was overbooked for this taping.  From the front of the bench area, I could hear the announcements in the background apologizing to the remaining people waiting for their numbers to be called.

After entering the studio and taking my seat, my first gasp was at the blue doors.  There was a slight crack between the bottom of the doors and the floor.  Since the sightline at my seat was just at ground level with the stage, I could see flashing background lights in the floor's reflection.  I knew what was back there. :)

Temptation - After the doors open with the car, I watched all the stagehands go to work setting up this game. They had to set up the red curtain areas on both sides of the stage (for the "gifts") and wheel out the price prop.  Whoever said TPIR is a well-oiled machine is absolutely correct.

After the game, Drew came and said to the audience, "I'll tell you something that Kathy doesn't want me to share.  Hardly anyone ever wins the car.  The four prizes are a sure bet, and it is rare that someone takes it."

Cliffhangers - I was holding up 45 for that last prize, and I'd love to take credit for it.  However, I think the guy was looking at his group of friends instead.  I actually got to see Hans go DOWN the mountain after they broke for commercial. Drew mentioned there was a recent taping where Hans got all the way to 25.

Side By Side - I saw the stagehands bringing the prop out during the commercial.  I could see the 28 and 38 and guessed "3828" without even seeing the prize.

That's Too Much - Here's where I first noticed some editing.  When Alyssa got on stage, the first thing she said was that she needed to thank Drew for leaving her a $100 tip at a restaurant about three years ago.  It was a nice moment and they had about 20-30 seconds of conversation before Drew revealed the car.  During the commercial afterwards, Drew asked her which particular restaurant.  She said it was the TGI Friday's in Oxnard. Drew couldn't figure out when he'd been there and asked her if she still had the receipt.  She did! 

Hi Lo - This was the most evil setup I've seen.  I wasn't expecting $8 for trash bags.  (Note to self: check out the bag count first.)  Drew revealed the other two prizes as normal during the taping but those reveals were edited out.  Yes, I think the Body Splash was also more than $7.99.  Granted, this was over 3 months ago so I could be mistaken.)

Pushover - The audience was split between the 56xx or 63xx.  I would have gone for the 63xx myself, but that is a toss up.

Showcase 1 - I thought the 32K bid was over, but I was surprised at how close it actually was.  The two ladies sitting next to me felt she was very close.

Showcase 2 - Because of the crowd noise, I couldn't hear her $1 bid in the studio. 

In a word, WOW!  What an experience.  Perhaps someday I'll be back in the area and can do that again. :)

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
That's Too Much - Here's where I first noticed some editing.  When Alyssa got on stage, the first thing she said was that she needed to thank Drew for leaving her a $100 tip at a restaurant about three years ago.  It was a nice moment and they had about 20-30 seconds of conversation before Drew revealed the car.  ...

Hi Lo - This was the most evil setup I've seen.  I wasn't expecting $8 for trash bags.  (Note to self: check out the bag count first.)  Drew revealed the other two prizes as normal during the taping but those reveals were edited out.  Yes, I think the Body Splash was also more than $7.99.  Granted, this was over 3 months ago so I could be mistaken.)
So I think both edits here were to allow the extra Pushy playing....grr.

And I looked up the exact name on Google and got 7.59 - not entirely sure, but regardless it was right in there with the others.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:06:21 PM by Joe_Capitano »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 06:41:27 PM »
Did anyone catch the reference to "The Producers" when Drew revealed top winner Debra's showcase price? One of my favorite musicals, and quick thinking by Drew when Sardi's came up!

Here's my problem with Drew saying things like this... some may have no clue what the hell he's referring to. I have never seen "The Producers", so I was completely lost to that reference.

Nice to see Temptation again. Although I am not liking how Drew refers to the gifts as "birthday presents." It just seems dumb. Especially when he refers to the contestant's "birthday" before showing them the car and the game they are going to play. Obviously, they have no clue they are going to play Temptation and even worse because some contestants don't know all the games.

Bart's direction, or lack thereof today, was just abyssmal. I hope the new director can handle this better.

The showcases proved something to me today. Rich should stop asking the contestants questions in the beginning of the showcase. It was funny, at least to me anyway, that she said "NO" when asked if she liked to exercise. Instead of the obvious "YES" that was wanted.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 06:59:12 PM »
Quote from: 3StrikesFan
Here's my problem with Drew saying things like this... some may have no clue what the hell he's referring to. I have never seen "The Producers", so I was completely lost to that reference.

Neither have I, but I didn't see it as a problem.  I don't see any problem with not getting every reference, unless everything revolved around the reference.  It's OK for a throwaway line, though.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »
Although I am not liking how Drew refers to the gifts as "birthday presents." It just seems dumb. Especially when he refers to the contestant's "birthday" before showing them the car and the game they are going to play.
Neither am I, but I thought it was really the contestant's birthday.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »
It wasn't.  Drew's insistance on saying it was Debra's birthday is what really made it dumb.

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 10:51:11 PM »
Camera Crew: -65pts. for today

Drew (unless it was due to the horrible editing): -10pts. for not revealing the other items in Hi-Lo

TTM: Awesome rare win
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:35:52 AM by Joe_Capitano »
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 11:04:19 PM »
Drew (unless it was due to the horrible editing): - 10pts for not revealing the other items in Hi-Lo

According to Todd97 who was at this taping, Drew did reveal the prices in Hi-Lo. If you had read the thread.... ;-)

(yeah, I know, it's kind of hard to read all of these play-by-play commentaries)
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »
I found the New York showcase to be odd also.  We've gone from dumb random prizes showcases to just one big long connection or prizes within a prize.  What's wrong with having skits?

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 11:09:21 PM »
Temptation:  Rats! :-(  If it would've been me, I would've walked with the gifts, especially since one of them was a bowl full of cash.
Cliff Hangers:  Good job! :-)
Side By Side:  Nice job! :-)
That's Too Much!:  Wow, actually had a winner on this one! :-o  Sorry if I've offended anyone, it's just that That's Too Much is my least favorite car game.
Hi Lo:  There's no way in heck those trash bags are that expensive!  About the other two items not being revealed, it sorta looked like there was an edit after the price of the trash bags was revealed.
Push Over:  One number too far - ouch! :cry:
Showcases:  Just once I like to see bidding $1 not work in the showcase.  That'd really be cool if the person that the contestant who bid $1 thought was over was actually close enough to win both showcases!

Pretty good show overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!