Author Topic: Upcoming Millionaire winners (Spoilers included within)  (Read 5776 times)

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
Upcoming Millionaire winners (Spoilers included within)
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:48:24 PM »
NOTE: Spoilers from today's show in here.

If any of you saw Roger Storm's run earlier, you'll see what I mean. He got to the $250,000 level about as brightly as anyone I've ever seen it. And if you need further proof that this run potentially could be special, check out the video on the official Millionaire website, and you'll see a video all about him. I think he may be the one to break the streak. Any other opinions?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:34:22 PM by temptation1979ga »
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
Re: Could we have a Millionaire winner again?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 11:38:27 PM »
Normally, I'd say we're going to have wasted time to start the show off tomorrow since the returning contestant has no lifelines left and will be faced with a very difficult question. However, this guy is not a normal contestant. He's the type of person that we used to see on Millionaire back when Regis was hosting... someone who's actually very smart. So who knows? I still think he's got a good chance to win it all.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »
I don't see the show as often as I like, as I don't know the airtime. I still love the show, though. My, he did that quickly. I hope this ends the awful winless drought WWTBAM has had.  

*Note: I only saw the video.

That said, that 100K was really easy, personally. I knew the dates of Garfield and the Canal were later, Garfield later in the century, Canal decades later. It helps I studied the structures of that time about a year ago, and I am a history/president whiz. To offer a choice involving the results of a presidental election on March 30th as your given date?! On 100K?! That was like a joke answer shown on $100-$1,000, to me. Know your U.S. constitution, and you know that's wrong automatically. That only left one logical answer, A. Naturally, I got it (and quicker than Roger, too).

I tend to do well on Jeopardy (last time I watched, I did as well as the contestants), Millionaire (especially on 50K-1 Million), and the like. I study and read a lot (while fitting in game shows and sports, somehow), and know a bunch of odd facts that do me well on random questions.

Anyone else notice that question's difficulty level (or lack thereof)? Have the questions all become this simple?

Sorry about boasting; I just thought I might want to point that out.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 12:00:01 AM »
For those who only saw the video, a bit more clarification. As heels mentioned, he has no lifelines left. He used Expert, Audience and Double Dip on the $250,000 question. So if he does get it, it'll be purely on his own. It will be tricky, but I think it could be done. Especially since it appears that this guy has a lot of hype even from the millionaire website.

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline Doughnut

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Crumbs from a Doughnut
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 01:42:49 AM »
He may not have any lifelines left, but I do think Roger can go all the way in the next episode.  I certainly hope he does!

The Millionaire site a couple of weeks ago had actually advertised 3 contestants that could possibly go far, and Roger was the first of those 3.  So I'm definitely looking forward to tomorrow, as well as the next couple of weeks, to see what happens.
Yes, I'm still around. :P

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:50 PM »
Roger Storm was also on Jeopardy! in September 1986, where he had good luck in winning his first four games, but he lost his fifth game.

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:31:52 PM »
SPOILER ALERT:

Well, now I know not to take those ads so literally. He ended up walking with the $250,000. Logical, he didn't know so he walked. But I'm disappointed in the way the advertising campaign went for this, it made it seem like he'd go beyond the quarter million level.

Season 39 CSS Stats:

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 12:10:25 AM »
Normally, I'd say we're going to have wasted time to start the show off tomorrow since the returning contestant has no lifelines left and will be faced with a very difficult question.
I hate it when I'm right. :-(

Offline Prizes

• Director
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 01:06:30 AM »
Could anyone tell me the question or give a link that has the question (250K)? I want to see how I would do.

Oh, goody, found the 500K on Youtube, plus Roger's Jeopardy appearances there, too. Thoughts on 500K question: Wrong for me! I got it wrong, for once! Drat.

The reasoning:

Printing shop didn't make sense to me because I thought that the fragile ink at the time would be tampered with, due to air conditioning; excessive air means blurry text (possible, depends on strength of the machine) and poor business.

Burlesque Theatre? 2 reasons it couldn't be. Less likely: Given short movies of the time, this doesn't make sense. Too futuristic and not enough impact of theatre for this to work (and potentially make money off your idea). More likely: If they mean the more probable acting/ live type theater that is burlesque, this fails logic, too- the preliminary units of such a device would likely not be large enough to cover such an area. Cigarette shop seemed like a typical 'it looks right, but it isn't' answer. No way. Besides, smoking wasn't deemed unsafe by Koop until many years later in the 20th century. It was believed to be safe, then: why would you want to filter out something 'good' (at the least, something with no known or suspected health risks) for you? I wouldn't, given I wouldn't have known better.

My gut was a restaurant, so when bakery showed up, I tended to agree; refresh your customers, make them feel relaxed. You want to make people feel as relaxed as possible in any sort of business, besides credit cards. All for nought, I suppose. How did you do on this question?

Finally made it in life!

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:44:56 AM »
Just for kicks here's Roger on Jeopardy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZUTTFLEUs

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »
Could anyone tell me the question or give a link that has the question (250K)? I want to see how I would do.

Oh, goody, found the 500K on Youtube, plus Roger's Jeopardy appearances there, too. Thoughts on 500K question: Wrong for me! I got it wrong, for once! Drat.

The reasoning:

Printing shop didn't make sense to me because I thought that the fragile ink at the time would be tampered with, due to air conditioning; excessive air means blurry text (possible, depends on strength of the machine) and poor business.

Burlesque Theatre? 2 reasons it couldn't be. Less likely: Given short movies of the time, this doesn't make sense. Too futuristic and not enough impact of theatre for this to work (and potentially make money off your idea). More likely: If they mean the more probable acting/ live type theater that is burlesque, this fails logic, too- the preliminary units of such a device would likely not be large enough to cover such an area. Cigarette shop seemed like a typical 'it looks right, but it isn't' answer. No way. Besides, smoking wasn't deemed unsafe by Koop until many years later in the 20th century. It was believed to be safe, then: why would you want to filter out something 'good' (at the least, something with no known or suspected health risks) for you? I wouldn't, given I wouldn't have known better.

My gut was a restaurant, so when bakery showed up, I tended to agree; refresh your customers, make them feel relaxed. You want to make people feel as relaxed as possible in any sort of business, besides credit cards. All for nought, I suppose. How did you do on this question?

You had to read this question very carefully:  "In 1902, Willis Carrier became the father of modern air conditioning when he developed a humidity controller for use where?"

The question was more of an issue of humidity than temperature.  To me, the two most logical choices for humidity control were cigarette factory and printing shop.

If there is a lot of moisture in the air in a cigarette factory, then you'll have wet tobacco, wet paper, and wet filters.  Anybody ever tried to light a wet cigarette or cigar?

If there is a lot of moisture in the air in a printing shop, then you'll be printing on wet paper.  The ink would run and it wouldn't be pretty.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 07:06:20 PM »
Doughnut, if you're seeing this, who are the other 2 that might do well so we can look out for them?

Season 39 CSS Stats:

Offline Doughnut

• Crumbs from a Doughnut
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 08:29:51 PM »
I don't know; the video didn't name names.  I'm currently looking to see if I can find that video on YouTube, but so far, no luck...

Offline Doughnut

• Crumbs from a Doughnut
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 04:17:13 PM »
Well, I can't find the video of the 3 contestants anywhere on YouTube, but Millionaire's official site has been updated with a new video.  And I think the other 2 can be seen in that new video.  At least one of those two are there for sure from what I can tell, at least.  But again, no names are given.

Still, I'm hyped for the coming weeks!

Offline Prizes

• Director
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 04:29:07 PM »
I mean this is a very good way: Way to show me up there, BRB! I certainly should have looked at the question better, but didn't, because I tried doing it in Roger's alloted 45 seconds; I did not give into pausing the Youtube video. I read too fast anyway, no surprise it happened again.

Here's my prediction: No million dollar winners again this month. ("For one million dollars..." was not mentioned. Millionaire needs more ratings, so they'd certainly advertise this, in my opinion.) However, we do get another 250K winner and a 100K winner. *These are only predictions!*

Finally made it in life!