Author Topic: Special Cancellation  (Read 21915 times)

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Special Cancellation
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 12:22:55 PM »
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. You have a small group acting as the self-appointed thought police that are hellbent on preventing any criticism of the show.

This is pathetic.

Excuse me?

I've for the most part kept my mouth shut on others' criticism on the show (because I don't always agree), and occasionally I've joined in (i don't think the show is perfect in the slightest) If anything, the small group of RATIONAL, PROGRESSIVE posters keep getting shut out by a very vocal base of Traditionalists.

And using an Orwell reference on changes to a mere game show? I'm sure that's what he had in mind when he coined that term.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 12:30:10 PM »
In a purely internet sense, how is this opinion the minority when at least four other message boards that cater to game show fans either don't care that the changes were made? And if we use the ratings as a guide, and the show is trying to get the viewers from the view, a majority of the daytime audience of that slot, how is this the minority?

I'm trying to understand that same 'minority the show is aimed at' idea as well.  

If we're talking about the minority of one fan site and the limited number of people--atypical of an average TV viewer profile when it comes to Price--it misses the point entirely.  No program can realistically survive by catering just to the narrow interests/tastes, on either side, of a small group of hard-core fans.  

Whether or not the specific tactics ultimately work, a rational look at things from a business standpoint would show they're trying to cast a wider net, not a smaller one.  (Changing nothing also is a tactic, one that proved itself to be casting an increasingly narrow net.)

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 12:30:46 PM »
If anything, the small group of RATIONAL, PROGRESSIVE posters keep getting shut out by a very vocal base of Traditionalists.

I think that, vocal or not, there are a good many rational voices on both sides of the issue.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 12:33:40 PM »
Excuse me?

I've for the most part kept my mouth shut on others' criticism on the show (because I don't always agree), and occasionally I've joined in (i don't think the show is perfect in the slightest) If anything, the small group of RATIONAL, PROGRESSIVE posters keep getting shut out by a very vocal base of Traditionalists.

And using an Orwell reference on changes to a mere game show? I'm sure that's what he had in mind when he coined that term.

"Rational progressive." Excuse me while I laugh that off...

...I didn't know 'rational progressive' described people who pop a vein every time they need to pick apart something they disagree with syllable by syllable. And I hate to tell you, the people criticising the show have been pretty reasonable on the most part in describing and detailing their views. It's the 'rational progressives' who have been sniping and going out of their way to be argumentative.

What's an Orwellian term? 'Thought police?' All that is to me is a figure of speech.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 12:50:28 PM »
...I didn't know 'rational progressive' described people who pop a vein every time they need to pick apart something they disagree with syllable by syllable.

Pot. Kettle. Black. Last I checked this was a message board, just as certain members pick our opinions on why we liked a certain change apart, shouldnt we be allowed to do the same when we don't agree? In addition to that, there are some members of this board who outright refuse to accept change and use the same blanket argument "things were fine before and didn't change" and when that statement is argued with things like changing demos, increased comeptition, and different standards of television, we're accused of sniping? Please. Get over yourself.

And yes, Thought Police is a term out of the thought-provoking novel 1984. Something that has nothing to do with The Price is Right.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:52:00 PM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline Trivia Trap

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Thinks Hes Seen Finish Line
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »
I'm a LFaT. And no one can say anything that makes me care any differently.

Offline MusicMan21

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 01:16:14 PM »
Whatever happened to respecting others' opinions? I understand that some people loathe the thought of special shows, and others eat them up. I've always been one to wait until I see the show to form an opinion, though I do have my thoughts on the idea before the show. For example, when I read about the Valentine's show, I was pretty excited about it and I thought it was a great idea...and I personally thought it worked out great. As for the baby shower episode, it does seem like a stretch to me, and not a great idea. However, I will still tune in and see if it works, and if it does, great...if it doesn't work, then hopefully they won't do it again.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 01:18:38 PM »
Okay, here's the big difference between what happened on Valentine's Day and this (and pretty much any of the celebrity "appearances").

On Valentine's Day, the only gimmick was a second "contestant" to play.  The flow of the show was not effected in any way.
For this, there would be probably a good two minutes gone so we can "talk" to Reba (thus taking it away from the show and interrupting the flow).

But I wonder why they couldn't do it later and air it out of order...it hasn't stopped them before.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 01:30:15 PM »
Thank goodness! I was not looking forward to this special for two reasons... I hate country music, and the thought of everyone dressed up in cowboy attire and whatever was just not appealing to me at all.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 01:30:51 PM »
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. You have a small group acting as the self-appointed thought police that are hellbent on preventing any criticism of the show.
I'm sorry, but this is absurd.  There are people on both sides of the arguments here who each try to shout down the other side.  Because you think an idea is bad doesn't mean the person who thinks the idea is good is automatically wrong.  It also doesn't mean that they aren't allowed to voice their opinion solely because it is contrary to yours.  If anything, the view of those criticizing everything the show is doing are *more represented* than those who don't.  

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 01:43:24 PM »
That's kinda' like saying that if you don't like an episode of a show, you should watch a second, since the second might be better.  Or that you shoud watch a third, just in case that one might finally be good. 

As a matter of fact, I do. If a show piques my interest, I'll watch the first three to see if I like it. THEN I'll decide if it's worth more of my time.

Seriously.  At what point do we finally get to say the gimmicks suck without having to watch each and every one first?

Entirely your opinion. *I* don't think every gimmick has sucked. I don't think everyone has been a winner but I've given it a chance.

The whole mantra of "Watch it first, then decide." was repeated ad nauseum when Drew was slated to take over. Why does it no longer apply?

Okay, here's the big difference between what happened on Valentine's Day and this (and pretty much any of the celebrity "appearances").

For this, there would be probably a good two minutes gone so we can "talk" to Reba (thus taking it away from the show and interrupting the flow).

So then when 'Ol Barker is wheeled out and we lose a couple of minutes "so we can 'talk'", will holy hell be raised?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:35:51 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 02:06:12 PM »
Quote from: jaydlewis
The whole mantra of "Watch it first, then decide." was repeated ad nauseum when Drew was slated to take over. Why does it no longer apply?

Because we gave it a chance.  That's why.  How many chances do we have to give it before deciding?

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 02:18:29 PM »
There’s no “Thought Police” on this site, there’s simply a diverse group of people with an opinion.  I’ll be the first to admit that the tone of these opinions has been skewed of late, but by golly it’s you guys that drive this tone…and I’ve said this at least 3 or 4 times now.  Every single person that registers with us has the right to add his or her opinion to the record, good, bad, or indifferent, and if they chose to do so is up to them.  But neither John, the mods, nor I control the tone of the conversation that takes place on this site…we never have, and I have no intention of changing that.  We’re here to ensure that the posts that appear on this site stay within the bounds of our rules and that the debate does not become personal in nature.  So long as there’s compliance with our rules, everyone is welcome to offer their opinion (they should also be prepared to back it up)…and there’s no stopping anybody, good, bad or ugly.  The tone is up to YOU…yes YOU reading this message.  

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 02:19:12 PM »
I'm a LFaT. And no one can say anything that makes me care any differently.

THANK YOU!
I support The Price is Right.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
Wow, this is a nice break (no offense to Drew). We still have Jack Wagner, but at least this is bypassed. MAYBE it will work in a year if things are more fully fixed, but not right now.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...