Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/25/2009  (Read 35023 times)

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 02/25/2009
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 05:36:11 PM »
HULK APPROVE EPISODE TODAY.

That was...one appearance I was not expecting. Simple as that.

I'm pretty content with today, nothing spectacular, but nothing bad.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 05:52:56 PM »
Wow....yet another benchmark on the low side.  I immediately changed the channel for a bit once I saw Drew standing next to him.  Maybe Drew's just setting the stage for Rosie to take over with her half talk show, half game show idea.  What do you "change is good"-ers think about that!

No offense, Willy, but this is probably the single most mind-boggling message you have ever posted - I can't even tell if you're serious or just ranting! Even Fremantle thought Rosie's ideas for the show were ridiculous.

Did Drew's quick <10 second "interview" with the Hulk ruin the show? No.
Did it slow it down? No.
Did Bob do similar interviews with models/game show hosts/other people? You betcha!

(a week's salary says somebody will tell me Bob's interviews with other people do not compare to this for some absolutely, bent-over-backwards, ridiculous reason)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:57:15 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 06:21:37 PM »
Yowza. Really?
What do you think I missed?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 06:25:20 PM »
It was quite annoying that Drew spent more time talking with Abigail, who didn't even win the second One Bid, than Kristen, who did win the second One Bid, after Kristen won the second One Bid.

Bonkers! was absolutely evil.  I can't see how anybody was going to win it.

I sure do miss the old e-ticket plug.

I wish they'd stop putting Campbell's soup in Grand Game so Drew would stop with his ridiculous bit about the cost of it every friggin' time it's picked in the game.

I was quite pleased that Drew didn't say "welcome back to The Price Is Right" returning to the last segment and mentioned absolutely nothing about Abigail overbidding on the last One Bid by one dollar.  It's these kinds of unnecessary things that simply slow the show down.  It's nice when things move along more quickly in this sense.

I don't care if the "solution" to the personalised first Showcases are to include both contestants.  They shouldn't be personalising the Showcases period.  If the Showcase becomes a dialogue between Rich and the contestants in the Showcase, then that puts me, the viewer, as an eavesdropper and not actively included.  If it's done as a narrative, as it should be, then it's all-inclusive and I have every reason to watch as much as the contestants.

Also, it really kills the flow of a Showcase when you build to a climatic conclusion at the end of the final prize's description to go over some asinine recap of the prizes that were seen only moments ago.  They really need to stop doing this.  Drew also needs to stop bringing up the prizes before the Showcase prices are revealed.  It's purely redundant.

(a week's salary says somebody will tell me Bob's interviews with other people do not compare to [Drew's with Lou Ferrigno] for some absolutely, bent-over-backwards, ridiculous reason)

Well, I'll say this:  Bob's brief chats with the occasional walk-on star visiting usually had some kind of point to them.  I really didn't see any point for this, especially when what little bit Drew said that seemed to tie his presence together was cut so short.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 06:34:28 PM »
Bonkers! was absolutely evil.  I can't see how anybody was going to win it.

Not to mention that she hurt her chances of winning by polling the audience while the clock was ticking.

If the Showcase becomes a dialogue between Rich and the contestants in the Showcase, then that puts me, the viewer, as an eavesdropper and not actively included.

This is purely my opinion, but methinks you are watching this too deeply.  Even when I didn't start taping religiously many years ago, then a Joe Plinko, I didn't feel "included" in anything in the show at all.  I just sat there, watched Bob, the prizes, the games, and excited contestants, noticing any cosmetic changes to props along the way.  Even since I started taping every day and joined this site, I really don't feel "included" in anything on the show  Does that make my viewing of the show incorrect?
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »
Bonky:  Wow... sexed-up dude ranch trip.  That made me overlook Kristen's frustrating canvassing of the Peanut Gallery.

One-Bid #3:  Wow, the original Incredible Hulk!

1WP:  Yay!  Half-Off cue! :P Methinks this was a forced loss.  Only the LFATs would've suspected that the pirate bed and the Burberry coats were sexed-up and, therefore, priced correctly.

Any:  Good to see that Adam decided to dust off Any Number and bring it out for the first time in almost a month.  Now if only he would dust off 3 Strikes and Pocket Change.

SC #1:  I'm sorry, but you're not living in "the lap of luxury" if you have Ashley furniture.  Henry obviously made a :wotc:

My showcase bids:
:frts: --$28,007
Ireland--$25,007

Result:  Wow, I guess that huge bar set wasn't as expensive as it looked.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 08:53:04 PM »
I wonder if PriceHulk still watches the show... I'm sure she enjoyed seeing Lou Ferrigno if she does.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Sonia
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 09:00:24 PM »
I don't know if I'd have lost Bonkers, buts odds are that I would have.  I'd have needed at least nine chances to win that today... who expects a dude ranch outing to be $9000?

Quote from: Briguy
I've said before this is a purely guessing game, with the only strategy being to keep track of previous incorrect guesses.

And to go as fast as possible.  That's a pretty good one, too.  One contestant got eleven guesses before.

Quote from: yabbaguy
Trying to get in the head of the Price staff in Squeeze Play usually gives me a headache. Repeating digits? No? Maybe? I'm constantly feeling like I'm gonna get hit by reverse psychology every time I play along.

Actually, Roger was quite fond of this setup.  Whenever he used $x9y9z, y had to be removed 99% of the time.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 09:04:49 PM »
I sure do miss the old e-ticket plug.

PAST:  When the old ticket plug was replaced with the e-ticket plug, it was said "I sure do miss the old ticket plug."
PRESENT:  Now we hate the new Drew e-ticket plug and we love the old Rich e-ticket plug and miss it.
FUTURE:  The contestant will win the Showdown and Drew will just yell "TICKETS!!" and fade to black.  And then we will be saying "I sure do miss the Drew e-ticket plug."

My point being we all get used to things and just as you got used to the old e-ticket plug, you'll get used to this and other changes too.  They'll grow on everyone.

And deep down inside you know you're looking forward to the future Drew Ticket Yell Plug.  "TICKETS!!! <fade to black>.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline yabbaguy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
Ahh... but the crucial fact is that it's not Roger, Frank. The tradition could break at any point. (See, I'm naturally thinking in circles. I'm like that) :lol:

Wayoshi... it's mostly my fault, but that post wasn't intended to really disagree so much as express shock. What's interesting is how it seems as though a lot of times, Drew's "unusual" acts do seem to go down negatively most of the time. Albeit very arguable, some would say that no news is good news in terms of Drew's hosting.  I'm not passionately on either side of the argument, at the present moment.

(And someone... please smack me if I say "yowza" again. I hate that word.)  :lol:

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 10:12:53 PM »
This is purely my opinion, but methinks you are watching this too deeply.

No, sure, most of us wouldn't pick up on that, but the format of the Showcase itself pretty much requires that it be carried out as a narrative because it is a presentation, a presentation of prizes.  The prizes shouldn't be presented through a dialogue of Rich just talking with the contestants because you are then not properly setting up the presentation form that is the Showcases.  The prizes should be presented in a narrative format.

we all get used to things and just as you got used to the old e-ticket plug, you'll get used to this and other changes too.  They'll grow on everyone.

But the changes you compared are not the same.  When the e-ticket plug was first introduced, it was introduced along with continued use of the snail mail plug.  This cruddy new e-ticket plug was only done for time constraints and isn't necessary because they're wasting time away with needless bumpers that could be put towards more constructive things, such as full ticket plugs.

And deep down inside you know you're looking forward to the future Drew Ticket Yell Plug.  "TICKETS!!! <fade to black>.

No, and you and I both know that such a method would be inefficient, and I shouldn't have to explain why.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 10:37:17 PM »
Drew's final reveal in Grand Game today was wonderful.  He built it up without looking at the answer, and everything about it came off as completely sincere.  I really hope he doesn't think it was a failure just because the game ended up being lost, because it absolutely wasn't -- it was one of the best reveals he's ever done.

This has nothing to do with the show itself, but the weirdest thing happened today while I was watching it.  The signal died in the middle of Spelling Bee, and before it came back (and for a little while afterward, too), there was a channel search from my cable provider running over WTAJ.  On top of that, when it finally came back on right before Bonkers, it had somehow gotten set to broadcast in widescreen, which was pretty sweet for the two minutes it lasted before somebody at the cable company switched it back.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 11:25:57 PM »
No, and you and I both know that such a method would be inefficient, and I shouldn't have to explain why.

C'mon Nick.  Learn to take a joke.  You really do take things to seriously.  I was just kidding around.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 11:17:31 AM »
Spelling Bee:  Great win! :-)
Bonkers:  Rats! :-(  I have to admit that when I saw the wrong price, I thought for sure that the right combination was going to be all 4 of them lower.
One Wrong Price:  Curses! :-(  I thought either the coats or the bed would be the wrong price quicker than I did the fireplace.
Any Number:  Well, it could've been worse, and I think you know what I mean by that.
Grand Game:  There's no way in heck this should've been lost!  That was an easy setup!
Squeeze Play:  Good job! :-)

An okay show overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »

HA! ROFL!!

Yup. That's the stuff.

"TICKETS!!!......"