Author Topic: Should they put a stop to the 1 up bids?  (Read 4561 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Should they put a stop to the 1 up bids?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 10:46:53 PM »
It may be unfair to some, but life wasn't meant to always be fair.  It's plain and simple strategy that is not guarenteed to always work out.

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 11:31:13 PM »
It may be unfair to some, but life wasn't meant to always be fair.  It's plain and simple strategy that is not guarenteed to always work out.

Not only that, but if the person after you successfully one-upped you, you bid last the next time (unless that was the sixth IUFB) which gives you an advantage.  Who knows?  You could one-up someone there and make your way on stage. 

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 01:55:45 AM »
Here's another way it falls flat. If such a rule is instated, you'd have to add an explanation to it "Oh yeah, you can't bid less than $X more than the previous guy."

It'd confuse the hell out of everyone, especially since I'm sure a lot of bids are lost in translation.

And it's one more thing for D.C. to potentially screw up.
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 03:04:41 AM »
And it's one more thing for D.C. to potentially screw up.

TPIR isn't taking bailout money now is it? :P

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 11:55:51 AM »
My reason for not having the 1-up bids is because you're bidding based on the other person, not based on how much you think it costs.  If you 1-up because you know that's the exact price of the 1-bid prize, that's OK, but 1-up just as strategy?

And as for $1 bids, Hmm...I can't really talk about 1-up bids without talking about $1 bids. 

I guess 1-up bids and $1 bids would take a little bit of "culture" out of the USA Price Is Right.  Still, IMO, it's just somewhat irritating.
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »
Here's another way it falls flat. If such a rule is instated, you'd have to add an explanation to it "Oh yeah, you can't bid less than $X more than the previous guy."

It'd confuse the hell out of everyone, especially since I'm sure a lot of bids are lost in translation.
It didn't seem too difficult for those players on the Cullen version, where such requirements were placed on bids with some regularity...

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 12:44:09 PM »
Why just stop at eliminating the one-ups and the one-$s?  Why not just get rid of contestants' row altogether? 

Besides, no one here would really ever need to use the $1 because everyone here knows every ARP anyway right?  So when it came time for you to guess the ARP of the PUFB which happens to be the Slinko Catchall Whizziwhig you'd know it exactly!

Not to mention that if you got rid of contestants row you'd, based upon recent weeks, free up what $15k at least every show to play for bigger prizes? 

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »
Besides, no one here would really ever need to use the $1 because everyone here knows every ARP anyway right?

Which I guess would eliminate the need for contestants entirely, right?  Because it sure doesn't seem like anyone who's bothered to learn any of the prices is welcome in the studio these days.

...of course, without contestants, they can't really do the show.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline yabbaguy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »
In the Davidson version... they overrode Contestant's Row and just had the contestants come straight up on-stage.

How did that go?

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 01:50:59 PM »
To answer the "Should they put a stop to the 1 up bids?" short and sweet

HECK NOOO!!!!
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »
...of course, without contestants, they can't really do the show.

Like the pencilheads at 7800 need anymore ideas!

Offline TPIRnostalgic

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »
http://www.qwizx.com/gssfx/usa/tpirmrrp.wav
And finally...
http://bombombombomwooooo.com/
This would take away one of my favorite elements of the show: The person who got 1-upped getting a $500 bonus for bidding exactly right.  Revenge is sweet!

Yeah, I admit, that does feel good when that happens.  Sweet sweet revenge.  :oldevil:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:37:30 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline TPIRnostalgic

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 02:53:01 PM »
My reason for not having the 1-up bids is because you're bidding based on the other person, not based on how much you think it costs.  If you 1-up because you know that's the exact price of the 1-bid prize, that's OK, but 1-up just as strategy?

And as for $1 bids, Hmm...I can't really talk about 1-up bids without talking about $1 bids. 

I guess 1-up bids and $1 bids would take a little bit of "culture" out of the USA Price Is Right.  Still, IMO, it's just somewhat irritating.

At least someone understands where I'm coming from, and it would take the fun out of it, but since people do that just to get the highest possible bid, it feels cheap. 

Okay okay, you guys have convinced me.  Bad idea on my part.  Perhaps what they should change is the elgibility for contestants who didn't make it up on stage.  (I posted more on that in another thread).  It's still unfair for the last contestant who only got one shot, but for those who didn't get up on stage after being there the whole show, I think the fault lies on them for not knowing their prices. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:38:34 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline joechopchop

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »
Hmmm...let me think about that.  NO!  I don't see the point of eliminating it.  I believe that there's some sort of excitement element to it, most especially when there's a perfect bid at stake.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 08:59:51 PM »
This is one of the dumbest TPIR questions/suggestions I've ever seen... and I've no doubt seen some real winners over the years.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16