Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/10/2009  (Read 14041 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/10/2009
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 09:15:28 PM »
But they've done this for years, though admittedly they're able to do it with more prizes now due to the show's effort to offer more of a variety of prizes.  For example, luggage as a one-bid almost always meant a trip was going to be offered. I think Stan even points this out in his book...

True, but it's being done far too often now.  I never remember it being this frequent.

Except for the fact that you're able to see that ugly curtain behind the turntable.

Ugly curtain?  I don't see how that plain white curtain is "ugly," though that issue could be solved if DiPirro shot the Turntable head-on instead of from an angle, which I would prefer he would do.

Eh, for all intents and purposes, yes. I guess there could be a couple of differences (for pricing purposes) - boat gas doesn't contain ethanol (it'll ruin the motor when combined with water), and they might be pricing it based on the average price of gas at a marina, which is usually considerably higher than a normal gas station.  Additionally, a year's worth of gas for a boat... most people aren't using that boat year 'round - a "year's worth" could actually just be "a spring & summer's worth".

Good points.  Those kinds of specifics really ought to be spelled out in the prize plugs.  They don't have to mention any unsponsored names, just what the package includes.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 09:46:34 PM »
How do you figure out a years worth of boat gas?   Here in WI, the lakes are Ice for 1/4 of the year :)   Not a problem in the south.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
Switch?: I knew those designer handbags were expensive, but higher than a 65' TV? Just evil.  :evil:

Any #: I would be scared to call a 1 if I lighted up the first two digits in the piggy bank Cutlery is no better that a Car, but it'll have to do.

Check-Out: Is this is how it gonna be done for this game from now on with these bigger-like prizes being offered? I would've won it, too. I added all 5 up to be over $25. Those Soft Scrub pads so didn't look like they were six bucks.

MoL: Always great to see this game!! Even I had a feeling that DVD system was more than $1100.

Push: $4959??!!  Why would Ashley think that?  :roll:

Magic #: While Debra did excruiate the heck out of me with her playing, It's OK she stopped the skunk. Nice.

Showcases: Boat Gas for a Year? Meh. Another NY themed-showcase. What was up with that?

A 3-star show.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:54:39 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 10:31:37 PM »
Wow, what a great show!  Drew was nearly flawless, More or Less was played for the first time in four months, and Magic # showed up for the first time in three and a half months!  This was the kind of episode that made me fall in love with Price in the first place.

Incidentally, there's no way More or Less should have been lost the way it was.  They clearly wanted to at least get to the third prize.

I really can't get over DiPirro's directing.  Seeing Any Number come around on the Turntable was awesome, and the closeup of the scoreboard in Check-Out almost made it feel like the calculator was back.

The trip presentations just keep getting goofier and goofier.  The display for New York today actually looked like a 3D version of the trip skin with two video screens shoved in front of it for no reason.  It would have looked much better if they'd left the plasmas out entirely.  Is all this trouble they're going to just because one guy didn't like the skins really worth it?

Ahh, yes, that's a good observation, Joe. I forgot to mention this earlier. I had a friend watching with me who had never seen the game before, and finally, she said, "What a boring game." I had to explain to her that it's really not boring, but when Drew fails to move the show along, it does tend to bog things down. Same with the guy taking forever to bid on his showcase.

Yeah, that's about the one thing he did wrong today.  I'm sure he doesn't want to rush people, but sometimes, he's got to -- like Bob used to say, "This is just an hour's show!"
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 11:37:12 PM »
Switch?- Yay! First! That Versace was EXPENSIVE. 8-O

OB#2 - There goes the suspense...

A# -  Like Nick said, the turntable spins would look much better shot head-on.

OB#3 - Fiberboard = cheap pool table.

Checkout - Yay! Temptation Cue! Those are some cheap scrubby sponges.  How many were in there, two?

MoL - Yay! Adam finally remembered that More or Less exists!  :biggrin: I knew that entertainment system was MORE.

Pushy - Tricky setup, but no way that waverunner was THAT cheap.

Geezmo - Yay! magic # for the first time in a bazillion episodes!  :-D Debra saves the show, but not without over-manipulating the leever.

SCSD#2 - Drew, you should really work on your math skills.

SHOWCASES
#1 - $26,600 (-204)
#2 - $20,200 (OVER)

SC1 - That sounded like a variant of that keyboard cue used in the PUFBs.
SC2 - Oh noes! The hot dog cart is back!

OVERALL - I found this to be one of the more enjoyable shows of late.  The lineup was great, with two MIA games showing up.  The only quibble I have is the slight conflict of SWITCH? and magic #, but, other than that, I liked it! :laugh:
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.

Offline ABBA

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 12:27:15 AM »
I went to the CBS website and i saw the picture of the game of the day which was Magic #,and the picture of the full episode which was More or Less. And i said "I'ts about time these games showed up".Hopefully we'll see Bonus Game, Credit Card and Shopping Spree very soon.

Offline TPIR Fan 1979

• Outside in Line
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 02:53:14 AM »
Another great performance by Mr. Richard DiPirro. 

On Switch, I was so surprised when Versace Accessories were more expensive than a 62-inch tv!

On Any Number, well, at least she now has some knives to slash the tires she has on her own car.  Then she can put on those new tires and wheels that she won on The Price is Right!   :-P

I added up to almost $30 on Check-out.  A definite "LOSS" for me! :D

It was so great to see More or Less back in the mix again.  I saw so many people out in the audience with their thumb up in the air; signifying (to me) MORE.  I was with the majority on that decision.

On Push Over, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned this.  Did you notice how Drew almost replayed an incident that happened when he first started?  He extended his arm towards the turntable and he quickly pulled it back.  I hoped that he learned his lesson the FIRST time.

I almost fell asleep watching this lady play Magic #.  However, just like More or Less, it was a wonderful sight to see it back.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 09:53:01 AM »
Yay for More or Less and Magic Pound Sign!

And the directing is still so amazing.  Regarding the turntable shot...I like today's shot better than the direct head-on shot.  To me, the straight head-on looked really weird.  I still would love the original shot where the camera pans from host to the turntable.

I'm sure he doesn't want to rush people, but sometimes, he's got to -- like Bob used to say, "This is just an hour's show!"
"Hurry it up!  We don't want to piss off Jack Wagner again by pre-empting his show because you can't make up your mind!"
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Beware my red pen....
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 12:33:58 PM »
Several comments on today's show:

Switch: I knew Brilliabeth would Switch, because no one would think those accessories would be more than the TV. However, when I saw the prices, I knew they should stay the same, because $2998 was more logical for one item than for several lumped together.

Any Number: I knew whoever won the one-bid would play for car, thanks to the wheels. Melinda started out strong and then went down flaming.

Check Out: From the look on Sharon's face when they revealed the prize, I never thought she really wanted to win, anyway. She did not seem excited about a trip to the Amazon. As someone said earlier in this thread, "Who wants to go there?" I mean, you have to get a vaccine for Yellow Fever, among other things, before you can travel to the Amazon!

More or Less: It was great to see the game, disappointing to see it lost so soon.

Pushover: Some hard choices in this setup, but the one she chose was not among them.

Magic Number: With the exception of a couple of playings of 10 Chances, I've never wanted to reach through the screen and strangle a contestant more than I did Debra. Did she EVER look at the number on the screen, or did she simply stare at the Peanut Gallery the entire freaking time she played this? God, that was awful.

The showcases were fun today, though I feared Debra would need a week to make a bid.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
Drew really, really needs to be more attentive during the showcase showdown.  Basically telling Debra she had lost, then realizing "oh, you won!"  That's the second time very recently that he's done something like that, though at least this time it was much less of a downer.

Anyone notice how ridiculously often in More or Less, everyone in the audience will know the answer, yet the contestant on stage inexplicably goes with his own gut and be wrong?  It really should not have been lost the way it was.

Why have Magic Number contestants just recently starting bizarrely caring about setting the number very specifically?  In the past, almost everyone was happy just getting it in a general area.  Now, so many are so picky, taking forever just to try to land it on $1900 exactly.

Really nice to see More or Less and Magic Number again, anyway!  And the Buy or Sell cue with More or Less!

Quote from: Cartboy
They should either put a time limit on setting the magic number or just have Drew stop the contestant at some point.

I don't like the time limit idea, and I like the idea of Drew flat-out stopping the contestant at a random point even less.  Drew just needs to encourage her to settle on something, and just naturally try to hurry her like Bob would have.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:10:42 PM by Frank15 »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 01:57:48 PM »
I don't like the time limit idea, and I like the idea of Drew flat-out stopping the contestant at a random point even less.  Drew just needs to encourage her to settle on something, and just naturally try to hurry her like Bob would have.

There were a few times last season where Drew said "It's only an hour's show" and once hinted at Ten Chance's 10-second rule, but he did this in a goofy fashion and not in the commanding way Bob would have.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »
What did today's Magic# playing time at?

Joe

Offline godard

• In the Audience
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »
In addition to all the great turntable shots, that was a pretty badass dolly at the More or Less reveal. The directing has a lot of energy.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 02:58:10 PM »
BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Brillabeth
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 08:36:26 PM »