Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/11/2009  (Read 33561 times)

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/11/2009
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »
So i hear we have our 4th DSW graphic of the season.   Could someone post a screencap.. Look like the vote is 1-6 in favor of it.. Guess I'll leave the 3rd gen in my game

ANOTHER DSW... man these are some players this season......
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Very odd opening.  I was surprised that Drew didn't say anything when he looked down, but this was probably for the best as they were able to stop tape and clear things up. 

The new DSW is just OK, but it's just not bold or special enough. 

Love the small screen of Rich for the call-down. 

Also, great direction during Master Key.  The contestant was clearly blocking the shot, so the left-hand angle worked much better.  Also some neat views of the entire stage, and a great crowd reaction here.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 04:54:01 PM »
I just saw this on YouTube.  I think the DSW graphic is AWESOME!!!

And the fireworks and the new $ graphic, I know it looks like they took a page from Wheel of Fortune, but it still looks AWESOME!!!
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »
Grand Game: Evil Hot Pockets...  :evil:
1 Right Price: This has to be the most inspirational wins in the history of TPIR! First, Ana gets hurt very badly in an accident, then she completes her amazing comeback with a huge win!
One Away: What an unfortunate ending to the game, and it was played well, and Drew was at his absolute best here, as he usually is.
Freeze Frame: I knew there was only one reasonable price for the bed, and good thing it was picked.
Master Key: When was the last time that both the bad key and Master Key were picked? Plus, those were the clumsiest price reveals I've ever seen in this game!
IUFB6: First, the full Turntable reveal of games played there, and now the little calldown square returns??? I hope they do this more often, as they did in the good old days of Barker and Roddy, and if the new director has his way, chances are, they will!
Pick-a-Number: I thought 7 as well.
Showcases: Uh-oh, first mistake for Mr. DiPirro. While I like the fireworks in the background of the new DSW graphic, the text itself could use some work. I'm actually disappointed that the word "Double" is half the size of the other two words. I didn't mind the old "More-or-Less font" graphic at all, since it added flair and pizazz to the occasion. Oh well, there's always room for some improvement. Because I'm sure that no one would've expected Rich DiPirro to be a directing wiz on his first day, and I certainly never did.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »
Great show today, but I really must ask did was the lineup really that long warranting 1RP, Freeze Frame AND Pick a Number all being played?

Rachel was a great contestant. She played One Away about as quickly as i've ever seen. Even Drew couldn't keep up.  :-P Too bad she lost. Speaking of which, that Vibe better have been loaded.

Master Key was just flat out awesome. I just love it when the contestant has both the Dud and the Master Key--it just makes the win so much more exciting. Drew did an awesome job with the reveal.

Speaking of Key, we sure saw some awesome angles when they went to the locks didn't we?

What in the world was that DSW graphic? That looked weird/pathetic. . Let's not see that again.

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »

Too bad we'll probably never find out about the 5th wheel at the opening.

Why never?  Was anyone there for the taping to report what happened to that guy?
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »
I see some people are hard to please on this forum.

Yes, I understand the new DSW logo might not be everyone's favorite. That's fine. To me, I'm neutral on it — I can live with it, but I wouldn't shed a tear if it were replaced.

To me, there's much more important things about this show to worry about than some silly DSW logo. That's just my two cents worth.

Brian

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 05:33:40 PM »
Great show today, but I really must ask did was the lineup really that long warranting 1RP, Freeze Frame AND Pick a Number all being played?

Well, I could see if something like Race Game, Switcheroo or some other multi-prize game had been played that day (which didn't happen here), but I doubt that even Master Key would've taken long enough to necessitate three quickies. I always thought that two was the cutoff point for the shortest games, which would allow more of the longer ones to be added to the lineup.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »
I liked today's ep. especially when Drew gave a shout out to Rich and he was shown on camera. Speaking of which, I have read that he was shown calling a contestant to come on down....um, I taped the show and did NOT see him in a window calling a contestant's name, what half did this take place in?

I just re-watched the tape and seen it was before the 4th pricing game

Actually Joe, the come on down box was before pricing game number 6.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 05:49:55 PM »
Opening:  I have no idea why there was five people in the row.  Who was that dude with Jacqueline, anyway?

Grandy:  Grandy is getting overplayed in the first slot.

1RP:  Ana should definitely be a COTY nominee.  Such a charming lady with a moving life story.  Congratulations to her on fulfilling two of her dreams:  walking after a tragic accident and being a Price contestant.

OA:  Yay!  A car game in the third slot! :P (Although I really wish this has been Pocket Change instead of another damn playing of One Away.)  I'm not surprised this game would be lost today, but I'm surprised that it was lost the way it was.  I didn't think there was any way a Pontiac Vibe would be $23,000+.  Rachel #1 was actually right about that... but she shouldn't have doubled up on the 3s.

One-Bid #4:  The return of the pig barbecue.  Honestly, I really could've done without the pig squealing SFX.

Key:  Yay!  Master Key! I would like to know why the car is not a platform or turntable today, though.  The setup just doesn't look right without it.  Wow, Travell!  What an emotional roller coaster!  First, you just found out that you're going to see all of your brothers for the first time in 30 years... then you pulled the dud key... then you pulled the master key.  I like that Drew went ahead and stuck the master key in the art supplies lock.  I love seeing all three WIN placards up.

One-Bid #6:  Yay!  The calldown window for the first time in 7 years! :-D Richard Brian DiPirro... I love you, man!

PA#:  Perfect second half!  And the first show with a .500-or-better record in a month!  I do believe that there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.  Now if only Adam would buy a clue and end the mini-retirements of the rest of the PGs.

SCSD #2:  The new $1,000 graphic is OK, but I wanted something... flashier.

SC #1:  WTF are those things behind the Prius?  They gave me a migraine.

My showcase bids:
Hybrid--$26,907
Room/trip--$17,107

Result:  No way!  Another Stage DSW!  This is the fourth one in the past month.

Undoubtedly, this is one of the best episodes of the season.  Hard to believe that just five days ago, we got Wagnered.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 06:11:44 PM »
To me, there's much more important things about this show to worry about than some silly DSW logo. That's just my two cents worth.

And to others, the more detail-oriented things are just as important. Surely you realize that by now when dealing with this board.  :P

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 06:21:46 PM »
Very excited about seeing this show!  Just goes to show how good things can be when Drew and the staff do their best to keep the traditions of the show intact. Looks like a great line up as well.  Thank you!

Joe

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »
Wow, this was a pretty decent show.  Drew moved things along fairly well for the most part.  There were still many of the usual problems, but there weren't many added ones today.

One of those said problems that needs to vanish is this continual dance number from Drew and the model handing off the microphone.  It wasn't funny the first time, and it isn't getting funny.

One Away was nice.  It really was.  With Drew's high demands in the asking for the number of correct digits, Rachel fit the bill perfectly.  It's quite unfortunately she lost, though I was very pleased she went with her own decision instead of being swayed by the audience, even when Drew brought up their negative reaction.

Did I hear oinking sounds during the fourth One Bid item's description?

The directing in Master Key was absolutely beautiful.  There's no way Bart would have made the effort to get a shot of Trevell's face when he wasn't making it easily visible to the camera.

Speaking of Master Key, interesting that the car wasn't on the riser today.  I like it being down on the floor with the other two prizes.  I think it actually looks better.

DiPirro, you are best!  Finally!  We see Rich on camera during a calldown not because of any special incident that got him on camera just before the calldown.  Never did I think we would actually be seeing this again.  DiPirro, you are very literally the best thing that's happened to the show in years!

And funny, I can't think of anybody who's been displeased with anything DiPirro's done, and most of what he has been doing is favouring the Breslow style of how things used to be done, but nobody's complaining there.  There's a surefire testament that the old ways are definitely the best ways for the show.

Did I hear Dig We Must playing after Trevell went over in the Showcase Showdown?

Yeah, the new double Showcase winner graphic isn't as fancy as the previous one; however, I wasn't too fond of it either.  Now would be a nice time to resurrect the original graphic...

Too bad we'll probably never find out about the 5th wheel at the opening.

Yeah, that was really weird. 

What we saw of Rich today was all we really ever asked for

Yup, I wouldn't expect anything but greatness from Mr. DiPirro when it comes to doing things right. :)
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 06:31:26 PM »
The way they showed/used Rich today was PERFECT.   A quick shot in the begining, and the box with the Come on Down.   We haven't seen that since before Rod passed.

One Away was Great!!

Master Key was also Great!!

Drew's "well" during the SC reveal was kind of cool too.

Lorna, you passed a CAR, what were you thinking?!   Then again, you got a DSW so what the heck do I know.   That turned out perfectly too.

Got to say one thing negative though.   Someone please lock Pick A Number into a secured vault for the rest of the season--please!!
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »
Got to say one thing negative though.   Someone please lock Pick A Number into a secured vault for the rest of the season--please!!

I actually disagree with that, we are up to 16 playings this season, I hope to see 10 more and that will break the record of 25 playings in one season, set back in Season 22.

"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."