Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/12/2009  (Read 30222 times)

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/12/2009
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 11:05:34 PM »
I've never heard it pronounced that way before.  I've always heard it pronounced ga-lə and sometimes gä-lə, but never gā-lə.

I can assure you that it's a pretty common pronunciation.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 11:07:16 PM »
It must be.  A quick check of Webster's shows it's actually the preferred pronunciation.  That still doesn't change the fact that I've never heard the word pronounced that way before today.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:27:18 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 11:32:14 PM »
These past few shows, Drew has been on the ball. I'm hoping this continues.

:headbang: This was my reaction after Ten Chances. It started out really good, then it went downhill really fast.

I've always heard it pronounced ga-lə and sometimes gä-lə, but never gā-lə.

It sounds like a "to-may-to, to-ma-to" (hopefully that's the correct spelling/pronunciation) kind of thing.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »
Just as long as they don't start offering Ford Locusts and Chevy Crackers. :)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 11:37:49 PM »
No, they shouldn't even be using those darn things the ways they've been using them.  Animated backdrops are just distracting.
The Wacky Tube men behind the car the other day were distracting. Flowing water behind a boat is perfectly acceptable. (Now, behind a truck...)

Offline yabbaguy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 11:47:25 PM »
But Chad, the thing was, the water was ridiculously weird. It's almost like the boat was at a right angle to the plane of the water... awkwardly.

Here's the shot, again.

The water "on top" of the boat looks like it should be submerging it, but it's not. It's visually disorienting, and appears to defy physics.

(Can someone describe that better?)

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 11:57:03 PM »
I think what you're trying to point out is, it lacks a horizon line..
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline ClassicG

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 12:05:07 AM »
Besides, doesn't S&P not allow "giving" hints for free in a game such as 10 Chances?

You might want to add Clock Game into that question.

Offline JasonA1

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 12:07:48 AM »
Question, how did they pull off that water effect in the old days?  I've seen a clip from the April 7, 1998 show where, when viewed on TV, it looked like the boat was on water and Kathleen was swimming in it

They actually did this without the effect once when Bob noticed a lot of people laughing in the studio. Screengrabs of it were in that day's Jeff Parsons update (to show you how long ago this was :)) A model acts like she's swimming while being pulled across stage on some sort of scooter. The water reflection was simply a graphic laid over top of this. When pulled off real well, it can look amazing. To the audience, obviously, it looks ridiculous. :)

While this line up may have been short (I haven't bothered to check) I found it okay. The first game had that "ooh, what a big prize" thing going for the casual fans/studio audience, and didn't harm the overall fun of the show. The audience's groan was more of "so close!" than of "how unfair!" in my opinion.

So glad Dipirro put the main camera in Ten Chances back in its original place. Bart always took a too-wide shot from the left, and it looked goofy. Also glad somebody managed to "stop the designer!" in Most Expensive, although I still REALLY dislike how they choose to place the fancy items on TPIR. The cost is so random for it to be used as IUFBs all the time. I may have said it before, but as a "wow!" item in Danger Price, or part of a showcase, or part of a Bullseye/Shell Game/etc. type prize package - fine. Having contestants' fate sealed in their exact price? Boo.

-Jason

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 01:35:09 AM »
Ten Chances was painful to watch.  It's been a long time since someone's played it that badly.

I think the last time it was played this badly (or close to that bad) it resulted in a win and a near-death experience for Bob.

Am I the only one who wasn't rooting for Sabrina to win Lucky Seven? There was something about her that rubbed me the wrong way when she got up on stage, but I *really* started rooting against her when she told Lanisha to "beat it", as in get out of her car. She was trying to be funny, but I found it plain and simple rude and uncalled for.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2009, 02:38:44 AM »
Thank you!!!

This was one of Drew's very best performances!  Now if he could only be like this all the time!  This is what Price is about!  I for one liked the water with the boat presentation, and that BMW showcase win was fantastic!

This demonstrates that Price can still be "Right" when the staff and Drew really make a quality effort.  Well done!

Joe

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2009, 10:15:58 AM »
Range: Talk about an awkwardly-looking green screen backdrop. A little interesting, though. Too bad.

10 Chances: ..and once again. Quick start followed by a major downhill. Oh, Jennifer. That's a Mercury Milan!!!  :headbang:

Most: Is it obvious why have a major dislike to this designer crap being offered in games like this one? Even I wasn't fooled by the setup, either. Nice.

PickPair: I knew about the Juice being 3.39 and it's a good thing Sharon dissed it for the Pecans. Good job.

Lucky 7: Me and my grandmother were quite amazed at Sabrina coming back to win that car after losing three bucks. Very nice.

CoG: DiPirro Rides Again!!!!!  :-) :-) :-) Great turntable shot. Evil setup.  :evil:

Showcases: As far as the mini-bit with Drew involved, The first showcase was pretty much okay. The 2nd one blew me away when they revealed that BMW!!!  :-o :-o :-o My bid would've been around $42K. WOW!!! Did Sabrina have a heck of a day or what?

A 3.50-star show.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »
Replying to a statement I made about not allowing hints in 10 Chances, ClassicG wrote:

You might want to add Clock Game into that question.

Huh? Sorry if I misunderstand you, but I thought Clock Game was a binary search/logic game, and that part of the long-standing structure of the game was giving the "higher" and "lower" hints to help arrive at the answer.

Brian

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »
I think he means saying things like "You said $979, then $989. It's between those two."

...I think.
-Daniel
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
I think he means saying things like "You said $979, then $989. It's between those two."

...I think.

Actually, he meant "The price is between $1,000 and $2,000", in regards to 4 digits Clock Game Prices.