Author Topic: YouTube Copyright Policy  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
YouTube Copyright Policy
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:18:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure that you're all aware of all the videos availabe on YouTube.  You're probably also aware that some of them are probably infringing copyright.  I can type in something on YouTube (like "Jack Wagner"), and the first video after Jack Wagner's appearance on Price is one of his songs in concert.  (Did the guy who uploaded it get permission by Jack Wagner to post that on YouTube?  Seemingly doubtful.)

(BTW, the Jack Wagner on Price video is totally legit since CBS uploaded it themselves.)

The point I'm trying to make is...why?  Why so many copyright infringing videos out there?  Doesn't this sound like piracy?  Shouldn't we stop this?
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
Re: YouTube Copyright Policy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:54:59 PM »
Shhhhhhh! You're not supposed to tell anyone.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:10:19 PM »
Quote from: Bluescreen_ODeff
Shouldn't we stop this?

No.

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:32:28 PM »
Doesn't this sound like piracy?  Shouldn't we stop this?

Yes, it sounds very much like piracy.  Even if we try to stop it, do you think people will listen?   Youtube can remove videos even if you record a kid dancing and put the TPIR song., and people can still be under the impression that it is not piracy.

Offline yabbaguy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 11:54:48 PM »
Youtube actually in some instances disables the audio of the video (the equivalent of jamming the mute button down).

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 01:51:21 AM »
Youtube actually in some instances disables the audio of the video (the equivalent of jamming the mute button down).

Such is the case with a lot of videos either being pulled or having their sound disabled because of copyright claims from WMG (Warner Music Group)
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 02:08:33 AM »
Cheryl, my Video Production instructor, and I were talking about this the other night.  I think that the "fair use" guidelines should be made a bit more clearer than they are now.  Here's my beef with these copyright claims:  We, as YouTube users, are NOT making money off our videos--no profits, not a dime.  In fact, we are essentially advertising songs on YouTube so that people can legally download them from Amazon, iTunes, etc.  The artists make the money because their fans enjoy their songs on YouTube videos, and they go to Amazon or whatever and legally buy them.  This is why WMG loses money, because songs from their catalog get muted from a video, preventing loyal listeners from purchasing songs from their favorite acts--especially when most YouTube users give the proper credit to the artist who performed the particular song.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 09:00:19 AM »
I think that the "fair use" guidelines should be made a bit more clearer than they are now.  Here's my beef with these copyright claims:  We, as YouTube users, are NOT making money off our videos--no profits, not a dime.

Whether you make money from a pirated video or not is irrelvant to fair use, and always has been.  You can argue that these copyright claims are unwise on the part of the owners, but that's another issue.  It's also worth remembering that the vast majority of copyright holders are not going to great lengths to punish infringement.  If they did, about 90% of the videos on YouTube would be gone tomorrow.

That said, I always find it amusing when people who have posted a video of an old show like The Price is Right get all up in arms about other people "stealing" their videos by reposting them without permission, yet they have no concern for whether the people who actually put their time and money into the production wanted it posted into the first place.

Offline Trevtpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 11:07:52 AM »
Besides, it's obvious Fremantle and CBS know what goes on on Youtube about TPIR and they don't care because Drew brings up about Price being on Youtube.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
If they did, about 90% of the videos on YouTube would be gone tomorrow.

And I'd say this is one of the major reasons YouTube turns the other cheek in many cases.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
Besides, it's obvious Fremantle and CBS know what goes on on Youtube about TPIR and they don't care because Drew brings up about Price being on Youtube.
CBS posts clips of TPiR with Drew on Youtube ...  And Fremantle posts clips of its other productions on Youtube as well (Family Feud, for instance).