Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/18/2009  (Read 44259 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/18/2009
« on: March 18, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »
Before we launch into things, a reminder. Price is in reruns tomorrow and Friday for the NCAAs. Back to normal on Monday.

But for now, put down the brackets. On to business...

The Price is Right - March 18, 2009
Production #4673K - Taped Feb. 4, 2009

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right
Handoff: Lanisha

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Amber Lancaster and Rachel Reynolds
Wearing: LaFemme

1   (HP) Desktop Computer (A)
SHARON 2100 JOEL *2200 PATRICIA 1350 BRANDON 1400 ($3520)

Joel plays MONEY GAME for a Chevy HHR LS (Std., AT, Mats, Prot)(R)

7585-294-421-1
––75-32063
  ––  
$160$21 1 94   WIN!

2   Trish McEvoy Beauty Products (A&L)
+Sharon *601 SANDRA 425 +Patricia 575 +Brandon 600 ($1381)

Sharon plays GRAND GAME (Target: $8.50)

(3) Campbell's 98% Fat Free Cream of Celery (10¾ oz)$1.53$10
(2) Northland Cranberry Pomegranate Juice (64 oz)3.39100
(4) Hot Pockets (5 pk)5.251000   Goes on...
(6) Gold Bond Ultimate Healing (bottle)9.56LOSS
(1) Icy Hot Patch7.97
(5) Garlique Supplement (30)9.99

3   LA Dodgers Under The Lights Package (1B James Lodi & P James McDonald at bat)
JULIE 1700 Sandra 2500 +Patricia 2700 +Brandon *1 ($1000)

Brandon from Miami, FL plays RACE GAME

1st2nd3rd  Prices
(Trek) Urban Bicycle749––––1390($  749)
Trestle Table234515992345WIN
Ivanko Chrome Dumbells159923451599(1390)
(LG) Combination Washer/Dryer1390––––749(1599)
RIGHT[2][1][1]
TIME LEFT:35:25:00LOSS

Brain freeze. And he was doing so nicely.

SHOWDOWN #1Spinoff
$1,381Sharon90 stay.90
3,345Brandon95 stay.95  .20
24,874Joel95 stay.951.00*$1000*   Bonus 95   Through to Showcase Round

4   Napoleon Gas Grill (R)
Julie 1100 Sandra **1200** +Patricia 1 DANA 1395 ($1200)

Sandra lays claim on the $500 wad and plays ANY NUMBER

Picks: 9 7 8 6 3 4 0 5
Ford Focus S (Std., AT, Cargo, Prot)(A)$1 6,8 7 –($16,872)
Gucci Stainless/Sapphire Watch (L)$9 4 5LOSS
That Damned Piggy Bank$3.– 0(3.10)

5   (Panasonic) 46 Plasma HDTV (A&R)
Julie *1251 GLORIA 1200 +Patricia 1250 Dana 2895 ($1899)

Julie plays CLIFF HANGERS for an Ashley San Marcessa Dining Group and Noritake Meridian Dinnerware (L)($4777)

Recipe Box$15$172 for 2
Moen Nurture Shower Head25305 to 7
Ladybug Tea Kettle37458 to 15   WIN!

The NCAAs begin tomorrow (hence no First-Run Price for the next two days) and all over the place people are filling in their brackets. Mimi's been filling in hers, but right now she's got her attention on Patricia, who will be taking a spot at the "First Four" Breakfast Club if she fails to escape...

6   Kate Spade 4 pc Luggage Set (L&R)
CAROLYN 525 Gloria 700 +Patricia 1050 Dana *1051 ($2160)

Patricia heads off to the membership desk while Dana plays SIDE BY SIDE for a trip to Miami (6n @Beacon)(A)

$(40)←72   WIN!

SHOWDOWN #2
$2,645Sandra75 stay.75
6,232Dana  5 + 951.00*$1000*   Bonus 85   Through to Showcase Round
6,768Julie50 + 95OV

ROBIAR MACKEY SEMI-MEMORIAL STAG SHOWCASE ROUND
Joel has the honor.

SC1-Dana Groceries For A Year (A)
Thermador 48" Stainless Gas Range (L)
Richard Florczak Private Chef Package (with the man himself)
Trip to New York City (4n @ Westin)(R)
BID$25,250
PRICE29,140
DIFF–3,890
TOTAL$36,372
SC2-Joel THE L.A. DODGERS SHOWCASE
L.A. Dodgers VIP Suite Package
L.A. Dodgers On Field Package
Spring Training Trip to Glendale, AZ (6n @ Camelback)
Chevy Malibu Hybrid (2.4l, 4 spd, Seat, OnStar, Prot, BlkHtr)
BID$27,000
PRICE38,474
DIFF–11,474
TOTAL$25,874

Also appearing in that Showcase: Russell Martin, Delwyn Young, Mark Loretta, and former Dodgers Bobby Castillo, Kenny Landreaux and "Sweet" Lou Johnson - and Loney & McDonald from earlier. About the only thing missing from that second showcase: Hall of fame broadcaster Vin Scully.

Today's Pricing Games: 3 for 6
Total Winnings: $76,385

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/18/2009
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »
The LA Dodgers showcase was decent.  Not great by any stretch, but certainly not the horror of the hockey showcase from a few months ago.  It was disappointing that the car offered was a Chevy, though.  I mean, come on.  It needed a Dodge!  You know... Dodgers?  Would've just  fit better ending it with a Dodge.

So how did Rich and Drew know how to pronounce Joel's name, anyway?  It seems odd that they'd both just randomly guess to pronounce it as they did.  Did someone tell them ahead of time, or something?

It was a decent selection of games today, but the slotting itself was iffy.  Why was Money Game, instead of Any Number, played in the first half?

Why is Gold Bond so expensive, anyway?  It's hardly surprising that Sharon thought that would be cheaper than the IcyHot.

Brandon may have been moving fast in Race Game, but that third turn was an absolute mess.  I can only guess he'd gotten confused at some point there.  It's too bad, since he was doing fairly well before that point.

How the heck was the recipe box in Cliff Hangers $17?  It didn't even look $10!  Really, that looked like something you'd get in a cereal box!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 03:08:06 PM »
Opening: Another Drew & Lanisha moment...

Money Game: Great win to kick off the show!

Grand Game: Should've known that the lotion was $9.56.

Race Game: Looks like the Bonkers demo is here to stay! What an unfortunate ending to this game, though. At first he had two right, then he ended up with only one.

Any Number: She put up a good fight, and it just didn't work out.

Cliff Hangers: Well played!

Side by Side: I wouldn't mind seeing this game. Anything other than Pick-a-Number or Double Prices will suit me fine. I wouldn't have gotten that setup. $7240 looked awfully tempting, but glad he didn't go that way.

Showcases: Good to see the LA Dodgers on the show. They should've added Vin Scully and Tommy Lasorda to the list, though. Isn't it kind of strange that Chevy is an official sponsor of MLB, but the team from LA sounds like a certain Chrysler product?

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »
Relatively good conclusion to the week.

-Lineup: Only one quickie! But car games 1st, 4th, quickie was 6th.
-Money: There we go. 9/10
-Grandy: I figured she would fall for it. 8/10
-Racey: He played really well - switched back the two but switched the wrong two again. Even one unit of a washer/dryer being 1599?? 8/10
-SD1: 5/5
-A#: I'm a tad sad (new catchphrase I think :D) that after saying 3 and 4 she fell for 0/5. But was it me, or was she more excited about the watch than the car?? 7/10
-Cliffy: Finally, a normal playing! :P 9/10
-Sidey: Wow, Miami was quite cheap. 9/10
-SD2: 5/5
-SC1: The chef was OK, I guess. Full recap. 4/5
-SC2: A Dodgers showcase w/o Dodger camp...how can that be?? :D 5/5
-Results: I knew Dana had a good bid, I didn't expect SC2 to total out so high, though. Still, as expected. 8/10
-Drew: I think Drew was ready to talk about the Dodgers signing autographs, so he almost forgot the bonus spin. 8/10

PGs: 50/60
SDs: 10/10
SCs: 17/20
Drew: 8/10

85 --> B
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Demerolguy

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:39:10 PM »
I hated both showcases today.

#1 How in the world can any person bid on that showscase?  Food for a year for a family of four?? (how did the show calculate what that would cost---a family of four---little kids or teenagers?  Meat eaters or vegetarians?  dieters or obese people) And a Chef coming  to your house...I'm sorry, i haven't priced chef's lately.  This showcase required no skill,  just a lucky guess.

#2 Come on Los Angeles television producers, don't be so LA baseball-centric.  I hate the Dodgers and probably do most of the people in the cities that have their own teams.  Besides those players looked so awkward and uncomfortable on camera.

Offline yabbaguy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »
I'm kinda getting bored of the dancing between Drew and Lanisha/etc.

According to TPiR summaries (that's pretty much what I look up when I research stuff), only 4 times out of the 19 playings has the last digit been "5" or "0". Anyone who learns this at minimum mid-playing will be the only ones with a chance to win this game.

That lotion is going to kill practically every average player in Grand Game. Having watched the show a lot, it's obvious to me the lotion is priced that high, but f I were any more naive about the grocery items, I would've quit at $1000.

I can't put it any better than Mr. Capitano about Race Game. He was doing fantastically otherwise. I thought that bike would be a bit more pricey and the dumbbells would be the <$1000 prize.

Haven't heard Rich say "One Bid" before.

Cool... got to see the Big Door light border flashing when the dollar came up the first time today. It seemed that Drew momentarily forgot the fact that $1.00 = $1000, even on a spin-off. Did he really mention that a contestant had won $1000 either? He probably explains the intricacies of the SCSDs off-air somehow...

That was nice to have the item actually brought to the contestant during Any Number today. And dang... that was a good fight against it! Bummer she didn't win the car. I wouldn't have said 2 either.

Cliff Hangers... I was distracted because Drew was mumbling about stuff while Yodely Guy moved up the mountain... which kinda took the focus off of it for me today. On the other hand... that was a cool plug for the PiR slot machines.

Showcases: If you really want to see my bids... consult Tom's spreadsheet on CSS today. I embarrassed myself on SC1 playing blind. How do you price groceries for a year?
Like others have said, DODGEr.
Themes of the showcases were on the mark today. And funny, instead of Rich asking the questions, Joel provided HIS OWN mid-showcase commentary.  :lol:

Overall, I thought this was a good show. No complaints to declare. :)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »
I certainly hope Adam's not falling back into the "car game 4th, quick game last" rut again--that is simply a formula for disaster. Money Game 1st ain't a good way to start a show off either. I would have flipped Side by Side and Any Number around if I slotted the lineup today.

Race Game again?!? Should have played Credit Card, or even Step Up for that matter with the time alotted.

Side by Side should have been replaced with Coming or Going for the simple fact that at least we would have gotten to see it come around on the turntable at least.  :D

The LA Dodger showcase was pretty good!! It would have been better if "Man Ram" had made an appearance.  :D

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »
#1 How in the world can any person bid on that showscase?  Food for a year for a family of four?? (how did the show calculate what that would cost---a family of four---little kids or teenagers?  Meat eaters or vegetarians?  dieters or obese people)
I'm assuming it's the average amount of groceries in a month * 12.  It's just like when they offer donuts, pizza, or flowers for a year.  That's what persumably happened last time it was offered.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 04:55:14 PM »
Usually, if not always, when they offer doughnuts, or flowers, or whatever for a year, they state how much the contestant gets every week, or every month, or something like that.  Not the same as a vague amount of groceries.  Might as well just offer a Wal*Mart gift card and see how well contestants are able to bid on that :oldlol:!

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:18:29 PM »
The showcases were ok, but am I the only one who hates it when other people besides Rich are talking during them?  I dunno, I guess it's just a personal thing with me.  I don't like it.  At least the chef showed some sort of personality.  The Dodgers players seemed like robots.  That's a showcase that really wouldn't have any sort of value for someone who didn't live in L.A.  Maybe if they offered some sort of flight in the showcase for someone to get out there.  Didn't they used to offer Dodgers season tickets, or is it just my imagination?  At least it's somewhat more practical than THAT?

Offline mikebev25

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 05:37:56 PM »
OB1: That is an expensive computer.
Money: I wouldn't have guessed 21 for the first number with the 1 there as the third digit.
Grand: The evil Gold Bond strikes again. A Joe Plinko wouldn't know that costs 9.56, as the bottle looks like nothing incredibly big.
OB #3: Now, that's something I'd like to win. Nothing against the guy, but can't you get a more established player than James McDonald.
Race: This was tough. Surprised the washer/dryer was so cheap. I also had seen those dumbells before but couldn't remember the price for the life of me. As far as the gameplay, Brandon dilly dallied too much toward the end. Should have gotten in more than three guesses. Although I will admit, I don't think a sweater and gray slacks is necessarily the greatest outfit for this game, but I guess it's just luck of the draw. You know, as much as I like this game, it really is time to take out the other multiprizers (Step Up, Shopping Spree, Credit Card, Take Two, hello?) I know this has been said already, but we've now seen several playings of Race since the others showed up last.
Any #: Interesting that they bring the watch on stage like that. A little disappointing we didn't get to see this one spinning around on the turntable, but I think there was an edit there. Car was cheaper than I anticipated, but Sandra got off to a pretty good start and really should have won it.
Cliffy: SPs weren't bad here. Even though I do agree that card box thing should be worthless.
SBS: I think either could have been right. Now Dana can use that wildly expensive luggage on his way to Miami.

Showcase showdowns: Two dollars today! In the first one, it had to have frosted Sharon and Brandon, who spun very high numbers themselves, for Joel to get a dollar. In the second, maybe it's just me, but I can't remember the last time I saw someone use the 5 + 95 combo to get to a dollar.

Showcases: You know, I thought the Dodgers one would be worse. It was at least better than the Kings one. Nice to see these pro players taking time out of their schedules for Price. In the groceries/New York (which was on major GRECOIDS), I wasn't a fan of the chef talking. I really think that in at least most showcases, Rich should be the only one talking.

Lineup was fine. Only one regular quickie and a selection of games which are classics/games most people know. However, Money Game is a terrible way to start the show and we had a car game 4th again. I might have slotted today Any/Race/Grand/SBS/Money/Cliff. Would have been more interesting while still flowing well. And on a side note  (not that I overly miss either of these), where are Dice Game and TTM?

An OK show today. Had its moments at least.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline jhgis

• Outside in Line
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 05:41:12 PM »
After the 4th Game, Both car gams were played and the GP game was played, I had the feeling that the Bonus Game or Shell Game was next. Cliff Hangers was all right but Bonus or Shell would have been better.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »
That would have been a better idea in my opinion for the Dodgers showcase...
Vin Scully doing the announcing....after all Scully has done both sides of the game show asile before.
But,what do i know  :-D

Offline mikebev25

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »
Oh, and another thing I forgot that I dont think has been mentioned here yet:

Drew got kind of lost during the first SCSD. Joel got the dollar during the spinoff, and at first Drew wasn't going to give the bonus spin. I think someone probably told Drew from off stage. I don't know, that could have turned out to be a very bad mistake. Drew didn't sound like he knew what he was doing.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:53:55 PM »
In response to the comments about the "groceries for a year" prize in the Showcase:

OK, how does this sound ... How about, in the future, an arbitrary limit to the groceries (e.g., $2,500) ... and the voucher for the contestant's local store/regional chain (since there seem to be so few truly national chains other than Wal-Mart or Target)?

Brian