Author Topic: Cars on TPIR  (Read 4537 times)

Offline tpirfan01

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Cars on TPIR
« on: March 20, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »
Why does it seem like they give away the same cars over and over again?  Is it because the dealers have a deal with TPIR to give away certain cars?  Or is it something else?  Here are some cars I would like to see get played for:

Dodge Ram
Dodge Durango
Toyota Yaris
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Sienna

and others.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Cars on TPIR
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 06:19:27 PM »
None of the car companies are direct sponsors of the show. Price goes out and purchases the cars from dealerships in their local area. Now, no doubt they get some sort of a bulk discount, as would a business or government agency that need to buy numerous vehicles. You'll see in the credits at the end of the show, they'll list the dealership, and not the manufacturer. Once the car is won by a contestant, arrangements are made with a dealership in their local area to pick up the car.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:20:42 PM »
I've seen Star Ford and Honda of America listed in the credits.  Does this mean they furnish the car free or discount it?
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:30:56 PM »
Honda is the only manufacturer who currently has a contract with the show to provide cars at a heavily discounted rate, compared to others which are purchased at dealer cost.

One thing I've often noticed is the lack of major SUVs offered on the show.  The Chevy Tahoe is an extremely popular vehicle (as is the Suburban) on the East Coast and in the South.  Very rare to see either one.

I'm not personally fond of BMWs and Mercedes being offered, because it's just not something that the average person drives/can afford -- which is something I always liked about The Price is Right:  Its focus on the blue collar worker and 'Average Joe.'
John

Offline Steve_Bier

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 12:29:39 AM »
But Mercedes hasn't been offered as a prize since 1978.....

Or has it?

Just out of curiosity, as you'd know this better than me, John......with Honda's contract, are they only providing two cars per show? I say that, because any time that a Honda is offered, there are no cars in the showcases.

Would Acura be part of this contract as well, since they're a subsidary of Honda?

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 12:41:05 AM »
One thing I've often noticed is the lack of major SUVs offered on the show.  The Chevy Tahoe is an extremely popular vehicle (as is the Suburban) on the East Coast and in the South.  Very rare to see either one.

They were popular until gas started costing anywhere from $2-$5/gal. :lol:
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 10:40:25 AM »
I'm not personally fond of BMWs and Mercedes being offered, because it's just not something that the average person drives/can afford -- which is something I always liked about The Price is Right:  Its focus on the blue collar worker and 'Average Joe.'

The only thing related to Mercedes-Benz that has been offered was the Smart Fortwo, and I suppose you're not suggesting that they offered a Merc recently, are you?

One thing I'm surprised that they haven't done since they introduced the Toyota Prius and Nissan Xterra on the show, offer more of those two makes' mainstream models like an Altima or Corolla.  Those are popular with your 'Average Joe' people and blue-collar workers.

The Bimmer at the end of the Golden Road was appropriate, in my opinion, since that game always had something your average blue-collar worker and 'Average Joe' normally couldn't afford, be it a motorhome, cabin cruiser, Corvette, Viper, and the like.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:44:00 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 11:41:25 AM »
Honda is the only manufacturer who currently has a contract with the show to provide cars at a heavily discounted rate, compared to others which are purchased at dealer cost.

Ahhh I didn't realize Honda was a sponsor these days.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 02:32:58 AM »
I've noticed the lack of SUVs, too.  The last one I remember seeing was the Ford Escape Hybrid on last year's MDS.  Is this because non-hybrid SUVs aren't "green" enough?
On a side note, would anyone like to see Pathfinder for a Nissan Pathfinder?  :hammer:  Drew would definitely have fun with that one.
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 02:34:29 AM »
I've noticed the lack of SUVs, too.  The last one I remember seeing was the Ford Escape Hybrid on last year's MDS.

Actually, there was a hybrid Cadillac Escalade at the end of the Golden Road earlier this year.  Also, the Escape Hybrid has been offered in this season as well.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 04:18:21 AM »

It's too bad that the show has forgotten about this. Unless Average Joe's wife started wearing Burberry and sleeping on $3000 bed sheets.

Offline Demerolguy

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 11:21:38 AM »
One's got to remember that Hollywood people are producing this show.  They have a whole different concept of what is wonderful and good and desirable.  They think what they like is what everybody else desires.   And it is this reason the prizes on the show seem to be getting off-kilter.

Drew (as I understand it drives a mini-cooper) and the producers put on designer goods which many people never heard of, put on high end snooty cars (BMW's), and trips to places (the Amazon) which most people don't have a hankering to go to. 

Personally, I, living far away from Hollywood, would rather play for an old-fashioned American-made Cadillac, win a large capacity chest freezer, and go to "plain and boring" Paris. 

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »
I don't believe for a moment that anyone, regardless of whether they are "the average American" or not, wouldn't take a BMW or an Audi if given the chance to win one.  Just because someone normally wouldn't (or couldn't) buy something doesn't mean they wouldn't want to.

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 04:27:25 PM »
I don't believe for a moment that anyone, regardless of whether they are "the average American" or not, wouldn't take a BMW or an Audi if given the chance to win one.  Just because someone normally wouldn't (or couldn't) buy something doesn't mean they wouldn't want to.

isucgv is exactly right.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline JLPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 10:55:27 PM »
isucgv is exactly right.

I thought the same thing too.... I'd love to have something BETTER , and pricier, than what I could normally afford to buy myself. I mean, if you are going to win something, I'd rather win the more valuable prize. Call me crazy, I guess.