Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/23/2009  (Read 51716 times)

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/23/2009
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »
Opening: Drew came through the Big Doors without his glasses! For a moment, I thought he'd had surgery to correct his vision. Guess I was wrong, though.

Drew has had LASIK surgery to correct his nearsightedness, which in turn made him somewhat farsighted, so he has the glasses to read things closeup.  Same thing happened to my brother.
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline mswbwi024

• Outside in Line
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »
I agree that Bonus Game was botched. I'll cut some slack because it has been a while since it has been played. And that first showcase was... lacking.

I noticed that the light border around the doors was green during Grand Game today (it was still blue on Wednesday).

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »
With the Bonus Game screwup in mind, while I agree it shouldn't have happened, perhaps a friendly reminder before the show airs (e.g., "Do you remember how to play this game with the contestant?") would have helped.

Or maybe, again — and I've suggested this before, and I've gotten resistance with this idea — a stopdown to correct the problem. Yes, it frustrating to stop tape (yes, I do understand the argument of keeping it as close to real time as possible), but better to spend a few extra moments getting it right than have what we apparently got today ... an embarassing mistake that should not have happened.

Hey, in the WWE, on the pre-taped programs, they re-tape matches that were especially bad. Why not do apply the same concept here?

Brian

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
Drew was fair today.  He wasn't outstanding, and he seemed like his mind was somewhere else half the time, but at least he tried, and there were points when it worked.  That's still not as good as he needs to be, but it's more than could have been expected from him a few months ago.

The music today was awful.  The cue used in Eazy az 1 2 3 was particularly bad; it might have been the worst piece of music I've ever heard on the show.

Speaking of Eazy az 1 2 3, I wonder what made Drew let Britney take the blocks one at a time, the way Bob used to.  It was a nice throwback.

Still speaking of Eazy, Drew did something right today that I wonder if he even realizes he did:  At the end of the game, he pointed out in a disapppointed voice that Britney had had everything right and then changed it because of the audience.

BONUS GAME!!!  And spinning on the Turntable, no less!  That's the first time the game has been revealed properly in about five years!

Speaking of Bonus Game, I wonder why Drew didn't leave out the panels for the prizes Brian won.  It's probably got something to do with the game not having been played in almost five months.  Ironically, he handled the "Bonus" reveal the best he ever has.

Dang, they had the stopping point in That's Too Much! at the second price again.  I said it the first time that happened, and I'll say it again now:  Roger would consider that cheating.

The first showcase was...um...short.  Seriously, after all the goofy scripts earlier this season that intentionally made it sound like they weren't going to have a third prize, actually not having one beyond that $1,500 was pretty stupid.  It didn't even feel like they'd finished writing the thing.

The glasses bit derailed the opening of the show a bit. Sort of sapped the energy and momentum of the opening. The audience was taken aback by it, it seemed; still doing the opening cheering and already confronted by this. How to react? They just sort of kept cheering, which I guess worked. Kinda.

You know, I got the impression that he didn't do that on purpose and that he really had forgotten them.  It kind of reminded me of the times a few years ago when Bob declared that he couldn't go on with the show because there was static electricity all over his pants.  Still, it speaks to how bad an idea it was to do all the unfunny scripted "jokes" earlier this year -- now Drew can't even make an honest mistake without us accusing him of going after cheap laughs, and he doesn't really have anyone but himself to blame for it.

Maybe drew got a talking to after his bonus game performance or realized he messed it up..

when he knocked into the giant price tag later on and said "its been one of those days..." you could tell he was feeling like nothing was going right, but he kept a pretty good attitude about it.

He certainly handled it better than when he fouled up Safe Crackers a few months ago.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »
Is this the first time Mike Richards was seen on camera since he started working at the show?

One thing I'd like to point out today that was interesting to me was that Catherine did the "Shame on you!" motion with her fingers after she found out her daughter or whomever was wrong about 20 being the last two numbers of the Jeep.

Drew really was bad during Bonus Game with the windows, but he got the rules down pat, in my opinion.  We also got to see an interesting shot of Brian walking up the turntable steps and seeing Bonus Game coming around on the turntable for the first time in years, let alone the first playing in months.  I really wondered why Drew went into hurry-up mode about halfway through the game. 

I really like how Dig We Must plays after the first showcase showdown again.  It's a throwback to the old days and it makes the showcase showdown segments consistent with each other.

I wonder why Drew picked up the 3 in Pick-a-Number near the end of the game.  It does provide viewers with an idea of how the numbers are loaded into the prop, though.

It's been quite some time since the Blue Star ointment appeared in a GP game and I wonder how long it has been since fire logs were on the show in a GP setup.

I kind of liked how DiPirro zoomed out as Drew was pointing to That's Too Much's title while Janet was saying "They told me to stop" or something like that.

Drew seemed indifferent during Money Game and Grand Game when it came to revealing prices, but he hosted today like he actually gave a darn about the show, which is a good thing.  But I will say he needs to get his enthusiasm up there more; he's capable of it, as evidenced by exciting wins, but he needs to unleash it to keep the game moving along.

Dang, they had the stopping point in That's Too Much! at the second price again.  I said it the first time that happened, and I'll say it again now:  Roger would consider that cheating.

Is there some psychology behind always putting the stopping point between the third and ninth prices and never the first, second, or tenth?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 05:34:37 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »
Money:  Wow, two consecutive playings where the correct numbers were front and back of each other on the board.  Plus, the two correct numbers were found dead center and center right both times... except that on Wednesday, the back half was dead center and the front half was center right.

EZ:  Shoot this music cue!  And oh yeah... thanks a lot, audience!

Bonus:  Yay!  Bonus Game! :P Spinning on the turntable... just as it should always be shown.  Yay!  Half-Off cue, too! :P OK, we all know that Drew messed up in this game by not sliding all captured prizes to the front of the Goodson marks... but please cut him a little slack.  Bonus Game hasn't been played since 1975 1993 October.

PA#:  WTF?!  The three choices were 6, 7, and 8?!  Did Roger ever offer choices like that?  Would Roger consider that cheating?

Grandy:  "Well, of course this game is winnable, Drew.  Come to think of it, all games are winnable." :roll: "Actually, Mariah, you're not on TPIR only once... at least, not anymore."  I would've lost today.  I thought that log was over $6.  I've never lived in a house with a fireplace, so I wouldn't know how much logs cost.

TTM!:  Once again, the correct price was in slot #2.  I don't know about that PA# setup earlier, but we know that Roger would never be mean enough to pull something like this even once, let alone twice, in a season.

SC #1: ... is that it?  That has to be the shortest showcase in history.  Even the one-prize showcases have lasted longer than this one.

My showcase bids:
Cannes--$17,507
Car--$20,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 06:24:41 PM »
Nick is going to have a field day on this: Drew messed up big time on Bonus Game. He pushed the CORRECT choices back into the game during play! See what happens when you don't play a pricing game for five months?! Heck he pushed ALL the choices back!

Alfonzo, I never would have expected you to make such a statement about me.  Meh, yeah, it was irksome that Drew didn't handle the game as well as it should have been, but perhaps playing it much more frequently, which it ought to be, would correct that problem.

I may have been more bothered by the fact that DiPirro didn't have the camera set up to shoot the Bonus Game board head-on as it spun around.  Nice that we did get to see it, but it would have been much more awesome to see the proper shot of it coming around.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 06:31:07 PM »
Is there some psychology behind always putting the stopping point between the third and ninth prices and never the first, second, or tenth?

There is a mentality that the price "couldn't" be close to the beginning or at the very end of the line.  It's not really based on anything logical; it's just the way people think when they go into this sort of thing.  Roger knew this and presumably realized that putting the stopping point in those particular spots would be very, very mean, so he never did it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline sesasheep

• Outside in Line
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 06:39:13 PM »
Good Show Today, here are my comments

Money=NICE! good win, thought it was 54 as well for the back
EZ=She had it, i would have lost as well thinking that was a pricy stove
Bonus=YAY WE SEE IT. Nice playing, Drew messed up the windows but i think that is just because it hasnt been played in 5 months
SCSD1=Solid, no complaints
PAN=Could have been any of the 3, total crapsgoot, i would have picked the 7 and lost
Grand=nice win, thought she would get tripped up by the batteries and thought she lost on the log
TTM=EVIL!
SCSD2=Ditto SC1
SC1=THATS IT, thought 4-5000 for the  game and $10,000 for the trip.
SC2=Nice, Kind of hard to price(Sad for me because i went over in css by $48 on this one)
Results=Just what I felt would happen

OVERALL=Nice show today, lineup was good and drew was decent
8.80/10
-sesasheep

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 06:58:19 PM »
Has there always been a brace at the top of the Big Wheel?  Usually the shot avoids the very top of the wheel, but it was visible today.

I may have been more bothered by the fact that DiPirro didn't have the camera set up to shoot the Bonus Game board head-on as it spun around.  Nice that we did get to see it, but it would have been much more awesome to see the proper shot of it coming around.

In fairness, Brian leapt onto the stage and up onto the turntable so fast I think they'd have had a very difficult time getting the camera in place in time.  It was impressive enough that they caught everything enough and still got the full turntable reveal (complete with a view of the curtain behind the turntable that I didn't even know was there.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 07:22:03 PM »
In fairness, Brian leapt onto the stage and up onto the turntable so fast I think they'd have had a very difficult time getting the camera in place in time.

No, you could clearly see that the camera that would have shot the Turntable head-on was pointed at the audience and made no movements as Brian leapt onto the stage, and even if Brian ascended the stairs as you would expect a contestant to do, that camera still wouldn't have been used until you'd cut to the head-on shot of Bonus Game coming around.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 08:17:26 PM »
Pick-a-Number was about as evil as you can get. Talk about a pure toss-up.

The same can be said for That's Too Much. Come on... the second choice?!

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Catherine, but Stan picked many good contestants today, so props to him
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline yabbaguy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 08:28:16 PM »
-Opening: One note- it was awkward trying to get a shot of Rich at the intro... we only got 1 second of candid laughter in the shot. I have a feeling it was a joke... but the joke had great comedic timing, if that's the case.
-Money Game: 20 was a dumb choice... surely someone would've noticed that the 20-21-22 were reserved choices for the front 2 (until proven otherwise)
-Eazy: I think the way it was executed today was actually good... I think not overloading the contestants with the blocks is a bit of a cleaner way to go at it. And the Peanut Gallery is living up to their name today.
-Bonus Game: Easily two of the grandest entrances we've ever had on this show. [Insert obvious "Wuh?" reaction to Drew's manipulation of the price tags]
-OB 4: Backdrop's ugly. Throw it back!
-Pick a Number: Hate the setup. Throw it back![/quote]
-Grand Game: I love the camera-flash effect on the $10K graphic. I might've whiffed on the batteries if I did it a certain order...
-TTM: I thought she had UNDERshot that... wow. That's vicious.
-SCSD2: I smell the fire from a burning hot wheel.  :-D
-Showcases: Can-Can -> Cannes. Makes sense. (That's not a coincidence... to those historically "challenged", like me.) :)
We really need at least 3 prizes in a showcase... even if the value's high. ($1500 wad doesn't count, obviously)

Bids:
SC1- $15100 (Whoa... that's expensive. <$5000)
SC2- $25000 (Grr... OVER)

Hey, I liked it today. Brian's energy was awesome, looks like he's a hip-hop dancer in his spare time.  :-D

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 08:30:26 PM »
While I agree it is "mean" to make positions 1, 2, 9, and 10 the winning place to stop, there are 10 spots and any one of them could be the winner.   If #1 and #2 are never right, you may as well make the $1 and $2.    I think I would be funny if the price under $10 was something like $99,999,999   :)
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 08:47:21 PM »
Money Game: Nice win.
Eazy az 123: That was a tough loss.
Bonus Game: Welcome back to the rotation. I hope they got all of the dust off the prop!  :biggrin: It was also nice to see the turntable shot. I am loving all the shots DiPirro is bringing back.
SCSD: Good score to win with
Pick a Number: 6, 7, or 8? They must of wanted this game lost.
Grand Game: I was thinking the fish fillets as well. Excellent choice!
That’s too Much: It was nice to see a car game last. The six slot is usually relegated to a quickie. That was the second worst spot to place the winning spot.
SCSD: Another dollar!
Showcase #1: this one seemed kind of….short.
Showcase #2: I’m not too crazy about personalizing showcases, but if they are going to do that, then they should only personalize the second one. (Keep in mind: I’m not saying that they should keep personalizing them.)