Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/01/2009  (Read 71647 times)

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 04/01/2009
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 03:31:05 PM »
I was in stitches the whole hour. My cat was looking at me as if I'd gone crazy. Simply hilarious.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline WhammyPower788

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »
Anyone get a screencap of the reversed TPiR logo?  PLEASE POST IT!!

If anyone else wants a screencap (except of the slanted opening titles, I didn't get those :-(), lemme know.

/I would post a video, but there's a few problems with it that I don't have time to fix
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 03:37:56 PM by WhammyPower788 »
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline yabbaguy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »
I must admit, I wasn't a huge fan of the intro... especially considering that Jessica's Come on Down must've been in Silentville language. Like the backwards logo though.  :lol:

Match Game cue!!! YES!!! I was expecting the theme music to play sooner than the end of the show, but I should've known that it was gonna come at some point. Good call!

*wheel spinning* Ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-YAAAHOO!!!  :lol:

Gas Money- yea, one should really be picking the prices farthest off their guess. Not sure why it wiped out today.

Pairs of prizes = even digit at the end. I overlooked that in Freeze Frame, but that's because I squashed motorcycle and motorscooter under the same definition. D'oh!

I think Most Expensive was okay today, but who actually thought it was the floor clock, like me? I mean, I can see how it's the floor clock, like today, but the fact that a friggin' FLOOR CLOCK would be the most expensive just absolutely flabbergasts me. I knew full well that the floor clock wasn't going to be the most expensive at all... but man... when I picked the floor clock, I thought I had it. I can't believe I didn't guess the floor clock.  :cry:

Grocery Game... I want to see the other two pricetags.  :-D

Showcases: 21500 (Evilest April Fool's Day Prank Ever!!! [WSD]) /23500 (Garf)

Best show in a long time. And I'd also shoot the current Cover Up cue for something like the old Match Game one. Great show today.  :-)

Offline TPIRnostalgic

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »
I wasn't that crazy about today's show.  Some of the stuff was funny (cliffhanger cue during the spinning wheel, Rich's opening, and the 666 bid), but it got old fast and like Jack Wagner, was distracting from the gameplay, and those glasses were ugly!

Pushover: I would have stopped there too and lost.  

Gas Money: Why does this game always show up in those 'special' shows?  Too bad it was lost on the first try.  I would have gone for 20005 and lost.  

Grocery Game: I would have thought the detergent would be more expensive then it was, and I'm usually good at this game.  Even though she lost, she played well.  

Most expensive: saved the show from el skunko.  THough I couldn't tell which clock was most expensive, I figured it would be the one mimi was holding.  8000 dollars?!  Wow...

Cover up: I would have gone with 23695 (only choosing for the first number ala the strategy).  The fourth number got me.  

Freeze Frame: Rule of thumb, when there are two motor vehicles such as scooters or jet skiis, the last number is likely to be 98.  

I couldn't hear the showcases because of construction going on outside, but it was obvious she overbid.  

Despite the over sillyness, the 666 bid made the show for me.  If Bob was there, would that have been a historic moment?  

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
-Lineup: I can excuse a non-SP today. Freezy made for a nice last game.
-Pushy: Just like last playing right? :O 7/10
-Gas: A great guess...if there wasn't paint protection. But I don't like it that, again like last time, there seems to be no strategy to eliminating choices. 18k should have been the first to go. 7/10
-Grocery: Valiant effort, but I think she lost after the Hot Pockets. 8/10
-SD1: 5/5
-ME: WOW, they really wanted to give those $$$$$ babies away! 9/10
-Cover: Using the strategy would have greatly helped here. Thanks audience for giving her no chance (although she misread it as an 8). 8/10
-Freezy: Those are SCOOTERS, not CYCLES. 7/10
-SD2: 4/5
-SC1: Alright-ish. 4.5/5
-SC2: :D You couldn't tell that was a Flex from the back. 5.5/5
-Results: Gah...she really did go crazy there. Anti-climactic just didn't suit this episode. 7/10
-Drew: Amazingly, he managed to host the entire show w/o any major sidetrackings. For that - 10/10
-All of Today's Antics: +1 for each segment

PGs: 46/60
SDs: 9/10
SCs: 17/20
Drew: 10/10

82 + 10 = 92 --> A-

Today's a day to look past the gameplay, even though it was a bit ugly with -98... :)
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Steve_Bier

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
I've never laughed as hard as I did today. Hands-down, this was one of the most brilliantly-scripted episodes of Price, EVER. I loved it so much, I'm going to watch it again after work.

Thanks, Drew and Company; you took a rather gloomy day for me, and brightened it substantially. God bless you!!!!

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »
Today's show was great! I was laughing throughout the whole hour! Hearing the Match Game music was awesome, and  I too think they should definitely consider using it as a think cue more often. Manuela spinning on the turntable reminded me of the April Fools showcase from 1983. Overall I think this show did what it was supposed to; it made me laugh! :D

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 04:24:16 PM »
I thought it was a fun show. I especially liked the Match Game music and the different wheel sound effects.  :oldlol:

I agree 100%.
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 04:27:59 PM »
This was great stuff, from the open to the end. You know what would have been funny though, is if they had Craig Fergurson walk out as Drew Carey at the open. It would have made sense to me anyway lol.

Incidentally too, was anyone else expecting a "Pig" reference from Mimi at some point in the show? I was a bit surprised there wasn't one myself.

I was wondering about the grocery game fonts, I thought maybe they had just changed them permanently, as I really haven't watched regularly in a while.

Most Expensive was hard with 3 floor clocks, but was nice to see a win.

I loved it today, great atmosphere and plenty of fun to go around!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 04:30:01 PM »
One other thing: I found ME quite easy. It was very clear by sight and copy that it was the most eloquent of the clocks.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline X54321

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 04:30:28 PM »
Sound FX from Cliffhangers during one spin of the wheel was funny.
About Manuela was she the 1st runnerup  in contest and invited back for today's show or was it a substitution for another unavailable model?
Grocery Game fan 125356921

Offline katrinka_ohio

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 04:31:31 PM »
This was great stuff, from the open to the end. You know what would have been funny though, is if they had Craig Fergurson walk out as Drew Carey at the open. It would have made sense to me anyway lol.

That would have been great!  Doesn't Craig tape his show one or more floors above BBS at CBS?
Go fellow Buckeye Drew!

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 04:34:51 PM »
I think the most important part of this show's success is that Drew was on the ball, didn't belittle anything, and the games themselves weren't tampered with.  The core of the show still shined through.

This show was absolutely awesome.

I did kinda hope for some other MG thinking cues.  And maybe a Whammy horn.

(I have pics of the opening.  Imageshack isn't being nice.)
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Robair

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Is this thing on?
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »
You know what kinda vibe I got from this episode? Anyone remember when "The Drew Carey Show" would do an annual episode filled with intentional errors and viewers would have to list them to enter a contest? Maybe they can do that next year.
We'll think of a signature. Don't worry.

Offline Roland

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 04:46:25 PM »
This show was hilarious! First off, the first four contestants coming on down in four different languages was hilarious. Second there was references to Bill Cullen, Wheel Of Fortune, and the Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson. Also, "185 minute price is right"?? And then there were the gag ways to model prizes. A winter setting for a waverunner, One of the models wearing a football uniform to model temmis equipment, An outdoor setting for the living room furniture and TV (that replayed a showcase showdown backwards), one model sliding off of a bed, a moon setting for the spa, and motorscooters hung in midair all gave me the giggles. That incident with the continuously spinning turntable with the Wii reminded me of that 1983 April fools showcase where they tried to model that painting. Of course, there was Mimi modeling cars with the wheels taken off, or booted with lots of parking tickets, and also modeling the lingerie and robes! (EEK!) I even noticed the abnormal fonts on the price cards in Grocery Game, the silly wheel sounds, and the Match Game PM music. (giggle) I could go on forever! I loved it! This episode definitely deserves an A plus!