Author Topic: Card Game question  (Read 5149 times)

Offline SolairWright

• Walking the Golden Road
Card Game question
« on: April 02, 2009, 02:08:54 AM »
I had a question about one of my favourite car games, Card Game. What was the most expensive car they offered on both the daytime and Million Dollar Spectacular?
"A friend is one who has the same enemies as you have." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Card Game question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:57:25 AM »
The most expensive Card Game car I know of was a $24,790 Dodge Challenger played for just a couple of weeks ago.

I don't think it's ever appeared on the Specials.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 03:15:36 PM »
Why does Drew never emphasize that the ace as a Wild Card, can be held for play at a later time, like Bob did? Was thee a rule change that says you have to play the ace immediately?

Joe

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 03:26:50 PM »
Card Game was played for a $66,225 Land Rover during Dream Car Week in 2014.

Why does Drew never emphasize that the ace as a Wild Card, can be held for play at a later time, like Bob did? Was thee a rule change that says you have to play the ace immediately?
He does say it can be used later, and does allow the contestant to keep playing after the Ace is used.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 04:49:32 PM »

Joe

Cause it's kind of a confusing rule, and I don't blame Drew at all for wanting to simplify his description. He usually does allude to it though.

Even when Bob did it, he explained that you could play the ace later, but even for years and years it never entered into my mind why anybody would want to play it later.

Apparently Roger believed that it's easier for a contestant to hear "Go on" or "Stop" from the audience than it is to make out all of the different prices they're shouting. So if they wanted to keep getting audience feedback and continue trying to slowly zero in on the price with the audience's help instead of pulling a price out of thin air by themselves, they could.

I don't think it's a strategy that would occur to your average contestant though.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 08:41:59 PM »
While we're here, can somebody answer this: Can an ace be used for a price below the amount showing? Example: The contestant's current bid is $22,000. If an ace is subsequently drawn, can it be used to bid, say, $18,000, then stop?
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 09:25:22 PM »
While we're here, can somebody answer this: Can an ace be used for a price below the amount showing?
No.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 09:37:47 PM »
Cause it's kind of a confusing rule, and I don't blame Drew at all for wanting to simplify his description. He usually does allude to it though.

Even when Bob did it, he explained that you could play the ace later, but even for years and years it never entered into my mind why anybody would want to play it later.

Bob, it seemed, preferred contestants using the ace right away, and this could lead to some issues with the game.  I'm reminded of the January 17, 2007, playing of Card Game.  A contestant drew an ace and Bob urged her to make a final bid for the car.  However, the contestant was unsure what to bring her bid to, so she put it aside.  Bob questioned why she wanted to do that since she could end the game right there with a final bid for the car.  Eventually, Bob let the contestant hold the ace. 

Later on, Bob reminded the contestant she had the ace to use, so she set a bid for the car.  However, she immediately wanted to increase her bid a little more, but Bob effectively told her she finished bidding (even though she was allowed continue drawing).  The contestant lost by $5, and many of us wondered how the show continued without acknowledging Bob's mistake and giving the contestant the car.

Unless I'm mistaken, by the time Card Game's current set came out, the "hold the ace" rule was dropped; contestants are now forced to give a final bid or a positive dollar amount for the ace.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:42:03 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 03:52:01 AM »
Do you all realize you're responding to a 10 year old thread?  ;-)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 03:56:15 AM »
Bob, it seemed, preferred contestants using the ace right away, and this could lead to some issues with the game.  I'm reminded of the January 17, 2007, playing of Card Game.  A contestant drew an ace and Bob urged her to make a final bid for the car.  However, the contestant was unsure what to bring her bid to, so she put it aside.  Bob questioned why she wanted to do that since she could end the game right there with a final bid for the car.  Eventually, Bob let the contestant hold the ace. 

Later on, Bob reminded the contestant she had the ace to use, so she set a bid for the car.  However, she immediately wanted to increase her bid a little more, but Bob effectively told her she finished bidding (even though she was allowed continue drawing).  The contestant lost by $5, and many of us wondered how the show continued without acknowledging Bob's mistake and giving the contestant the car.

Good gravy, what a trainwreck. Did nobody in production want to correct Bob? How on earth did they get away with that?

Unless I'm mistaken, by the time Card Game's current set came out, the "hold the ace" rule was dropped; contestants are now forced to give a final bid or a positive dollar amount for the ace.

I dunno... I seem to remember Drew saying something like “Aces are wild, you can even end the game on an Ace if you want to.” Which would imply that you can choose to not end the game on an Ace if you don’t want to.

But it makes sense to not explain the Ace rule in full unless one comes up. There’s already enough of an info dump going on without it. Unless a contestant specifically WANTS to hold on to the ace, there’s no reason to even bring it up.

IMO in an era where the smallest possible range is $1000 it makes absolutely no sense to try to hold an ace and fine tune your bid later. That rule is a vestigial organ clinging on decades after it would have been needed, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it were axed. But it never seems to come up, so I dunno for sure.

EDIT:

Huh. Nope, honestly. Speaking of vestigial organs...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 03:59:58 AM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 11:22:06 AM »
I did not, although there is a new answer to the original question since the thread was made.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 08:33:10 PM »

Hee hee...can I do it? Just for today?

BUMP!!!

EDIT: Just realized I was one of the original posters. Oops!  :embarassed:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:36:00 PM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 04:44:56 PM »

WOW!

She should have been given the car on a technical win.

Joe

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 10:35:09 PM »
WOW!

She should have been given the car on a technical win.

Joe

It's even worse than that, she never drew any more cards at all.....Bob pushed her into using it right then and stopping.