Author Topic: Can we get rid of the ignore feature?  (Read 14057 times)

Offline TPIRViewer

• Walking the Golden Road
Can we get rid of the ignore feature?
« on: April 25, 2009, 01:40:20 PM »
I really think the ignore feature is going against the whole point of this forum. It's really silly how someone puts someone else on ignore just because they don't like something that person said. The purpose of this board is to discuss. If everyone has everyone on ignore, then what's the point? I've had 4 people put me on ignore in the last 2 days just because people didn't like my opinion in that thread I made. There are other good posters that have the same problem. I think that's really unnecessary. I think it's damaging to the forum.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: Can we get rid of the ignore feature?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 01:43:13 PM »
It is also a semi-glitch in chat to acknowledge someone is ignoring you.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 02:02:51 PM »

I guess I never noticed the "Ignore" button...but I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense in a forum.  I can see the need for it in chatrooms, particularly if someone is causing a distraction.  But in a forum, you can easily navigate around static posts without such a feature.  And if you're only looking for people who agree with you, you're not really out to "discuss" anything.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 02:04:30 PM »
Why is this in "The Talk is Right" section when it deals with the website?  I think it would be better in either "Technical Support", since that is for questions about this site.  "The Talk is Right" is about the show itself.

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »
The ignore feature is available for those who wish to use it.  I have no intentions of removing it.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 02:36:14 PM »
I really think the ignore feature is going against the whole point of this forum. It's really silly how someone puts someone else on ignore just because they don't like something that person said. The purpose of this board is to discuss. If everyone has everyone on ignore, then what's the point? I've had 4 people put me on ignore in the last 2 days just because people didn't like my opinion in that thread I made. There are other good posters that have the same problem. I think that's really unnecessary. I think it's damaging to the forum.

First off - in full disclosure, I don't have you on ignore.

Secondly, it may not be because somebody doesn't like your opinion, but because of the way you express it. I don't know - I haven't really noticed your posts or your opinions, so it may not be.  But there are a few users on this board that have been ignored simply because they express the same opinions every day - it gets annoying.

As to the issue of getting rid of the ignore button - no way. Just like I can choose to not answer the phone when somebody calls, I should be able to choose not to listen to somebody's post if it is incoherent, annoying, or something I just plain disagree with.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:25:52 PM »
It's better to have the ability to ignore a poster because if you are reading a consistently annoying member post (in your opinion) stupid stuff, would you rather have:
1. Reader hits [ignore user] -- problem solved.
2. Post a reply and/or flame which will escalate out of control detracting from the original topic.

While it's not perfect (i.e. there's still a message saying that the ignoree has posted and there's a great temptation to click [view post] and the fact that you know how many ignorers you have), it's better than scenario 2.
So long!

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 07:09:48 PM »
I don't like the ignore feature. But, I do agree that it should only be used in chat, not in the forums
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline X54321

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 08:50:55 PM »
I hate fact that the ignore button exists but it should only be used in chat like 88 has stated
Grocery Game fan 125356921

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 09:02:26 PM »
I'd love to use the feature myself.  Being a mod, and it being important that I'm able to see what everyone is up to, I can't, but there are legitimate reasons for ignoring something that aren't simply because you disagree with the person.  So I can't say that it's a feature that should be removed.

Having said that, I don't agree that the ignore feature should be used simply because you disagree with a person, but if someone's going to do it, someone's going to do it.  Their option.

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 10:53:51 PM »
I always felt that if you feel the need to use it, use it. If you don't feel the need to use it, don't use it.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 01:04:22 PM »
Yes, this is an old bump. I realize that, and I try to do so as little as possible. However, I feel like I must say something here. I got ignored, and quite frankly, I don't know why. I know it's a small thing, but it still is bothering me to no end. I try my best not to offend anyone, or, if I disagree, I put it kindly. Sure, the ignoree (Could it be Mrs. Eskander?) won't be able to see this, but, ugh. I worked hard to keep a clean 0 up there. That's discouraging to me.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline Prizes

• Director
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »
Up to 2? I know I shouldn't worry, but, I take this as in insult.

Finally made it in life!

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
Some people will ignore you for complaining about being ignored, which I feel is a perfectly reasonable reason to ignore someone.  It's annoying, seriously.  I really think we need a rule against complaining about being ignored here.

Offline Prizes

• Director
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »
Some people will ignore you for complaining about being ignored, which I feel is a perfectly reasonable reason to ignore someone.  It's annoying, seriously.  I really think we need a rule against complaining about being ignored here.

Fair enough; that's certainly a good point. I'll try not to complain any more, but, I'm just getting discouraged and what I said or did wrong. Sorry for the inconvience.

Finally made it in life!