Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/08/2009  (Read 25385 times)

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/08/2009
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »
I've seen this come up a few times, but how do you expect Stan do determine who and who doesn't know prices of prizes without giving a test.

He's got a pretty short timetable to make a decision on contestant.  What else can he do?
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »
I wrote (un)fortunately because of how many contestant pickers pick contestants only because of their hyper characteristics. I agree with jzion and a few others about contestants like that on DoND; it's actually one of the reasons why I don't watch it often anymore.

It seems like Deal Or No Deal, Family Feud, Wheel Of Fortune, and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? are picking contestants like the 1950's "rigged quiz" producers - they want somebody who will make good television, not clean out the show's bank account.

Actually, scratch that - they are picking contestants for personality instead of smarts...AND THAT NEEDS TO STOP, DAMMIT.

Only Jeopardy! actually picks contestants based on smarts, and sometimes even the contestants who scored high on tests can have a brain-fart in-studio. Completely understandable - audience, bright lights, and tension plus the need to respond quickly...that's going to lead to something not-so-good unless you can stay focused on the game and not worry about how well you're doing until a break (or, in the case of Jeopardy!, until a Daily Double is found).

Deal Or No Deal actually EXPLOITED its usage of personality over smarts by filling entire episodes with mind-numbing gimmicks revolving around the contestant's likes and dislikes. While I understand that's to help the contestants feel comfortable, it really smacks of gimmickry for the sake of ratings - and in reality is just padding out the hour-long slot.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:37:18 PM by WarioBarker »
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Online Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 05:49:12 PM »
Quote from: WarioBarker
Actually, scratch that - they are picking contestants for personality instead of smarts...AND THAT NEEDS TO STOP, DAMMIT.

Don't Wheel of Fortune and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? try for both?

Anyway, I completely disagree.  The Price is Right needs not to do that.  For one, it's impossible to truly test how well the contestants would perform on the show with the current contestant selection format.  And the current contestant selection format needs to stay the same:  there needs to be that feel that anyone who walks into that studio could be called to come on down.  We know that's not quite the case, but the general feel needs to stay there.

What kind of intelligence are you really looking for, anyway?  Are you looking for people who know prices?  Are you looking for people who won't get tripped up by overpriced fashion?  Or are you looking for people who know that the zero goes last, who know that the car is behind #1, and who know to save the cheapest product for last?

Aside from creating a contestant pool that's going to be too small to pick even a mere nine each day, it's going to likely give us a lot of dull contestants, and it's the personality, and not the intelligence, that should count most for this show.  Their personalities are what will shine through, and make for good viewing.  That's the way it is, and that's the way it should stay.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 06:06:32 PM »
Here here!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 06:21:43 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline notsoeasy

• In the Audience
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 06:57:07 PM »
All in all, I wouldn't be averse to seeing another couples show in the future. Just not too often.
Wanna bet it's gonna be June 19?

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 07:02:16 PM »
I woudn't bet on it, seeing as there has been no announcement of such a show, and the window of opportunity is nearly closed.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 09:27:40 PM »
I didn't quite get the problems Frank had brought up about the Valentine's Day show until I watched this one.  He's right -- there was much more interaction between the pairs today, and it made for a better episode.

Cliff Hangers is the only game that's fun to see people lose right off the bat. :)

There is no way anybody was going to get past the third prize in More or Less.

Sandra and Stephanie seemed like a couple of people that Bob could have had a lot of fun with.  Even without getting onstage, they were hilarious -- they seemed to have their own little game of Clock Game going on during the fourth Item up for Bids, which was only made better after they finally got a bid out only to have the overbid buzzer go off.

(...and as I read through the thread, I'm surprised to see some people strongly disagreeing with this.  I thought they were almost Samoan-esque.)

Drew completely telegraphed the last reveal in Grand Game today and took away any suspense that it could have provided.  He needs to learn not to do that.  (I don't expect him to at this point, but he should.)

Aaaaaaaaaand once again, Kathy screws up That's Too Much!.  I'm really getting sick of seeing that second price light up.

I still don't get why they won't offer two cars on one of the shows.  It seems like the most obvious thing in the world to do.

I have no idea how anyone was supposed to bid on the first, second, and fourth Items up for Bids.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 10:58:44 PM »
Wanna bet it's gonna be June 19?

Not likely. There is no Father's Day show scheduled. And, considering they usually announce these things six to eight weeks before they tape, it's not happening.

We might see a Father's Day Showcase, though.

Discuss further in The Talk s Right.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 11:44:55 PM »
Opening:  Yay for the return of pairs TPIR!

One-Bid #2:  Ouch!  Charla and Jennifer screwed themselves out of the wad by 2-upping instead of 1-upping.  I can't recall the last time that a contestant 2-upped another contestant and went over by $1.

Cliffy:  Epic.  Fail.

MoL:  Yay!  More or Less! :P With the Phone Home Game cue! :P Anybody else besides me notice that the price stands were situated differently than normal?  Instead of going stand1-prize1-stand2-prize2-stand3-prize3, it went prize1-stand1-prize2-stand2-prize3-stand3.  Very odd.  And the evil $3,800 step-up range strikes again!

TTM!:  Hole #2 strikes again!  I don't know about anybody else, but I was tempted to stop on the very first price.

SCSD #2:  Owwww!

SC #1:  $13,000 covers the trip to Australia, but that's it.

SC #2:  Yay!  Passing Lane! :P $26,000 is an even bigger garf than the SC1 bid.  There's no telling how sexy that safari is.  This showcase could be anywhere between $30,000-$40,000.

My showcase bids:
Aussie--$16,107
Safari/Jeep--$34,507

Result:  Whoa, what on Earth made SC2 so sexy?!  What prize went up $5,000 or $10,000?!
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
When I saw the Mother's Day opening, I immediately hit erase on the DVR.  Sorry, but Price is not about gags and gimmicks.  Using any kind of two person format is not how these games were designed.  The greatness of one person contestant/host interaction worked brilliantly for 35 years.

Price is bringing in change, and 2 people playing one pricing game is breaking tradition for no reason.  These types of episodes are killing the show.

I just cant get into the 2 people team shows. Its crowded and awkward. I channel flipped more today during price than i ever have before.

Amen.

Joe

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 12:50:28 AM »
Today's eposode makes me wanting my work schedule to be the way it was a month ago when my mean boss started cutting my hours and having Mon/Tues off and Wed-Fri coming in at 1:00pm. 

Everyday I watch the show, most of the contestants are getting more immature, hyper, and loud.   I hated to watch them do such behavior with Bob but this is getting more annoying every day with Drew.

Today's first contestants Stephanie/Sandra on the right confused Drew alot as far as placing bids on the items; and made fool of themselves with uncontrolable giggling!  I'm glad they didn't come on stage!! 

Otherwise, I sorta liked the show.
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline pianogeek

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 01:15:32 AM »
If you watch the show online at CBS.com, you may notice at the end-of-the-show credits that they've FINALLY changed the Price logo to the current version.

"Old School" TPIR logo on the daytime show credits: 1996-2009

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 01:17:58 AM »
1 Right Price: Damn, those trips just keep getting more and more expensive!

Cliff Hangers: A wipeout??? CRASH!!!

More or Less: Well, at least there were no losing horns this time.

Push Over: The only win of this show, and a great one, too!

Grand Game: Tricky setup there, with all those "use as directed" products out there.

That's Too Much!: You know, I'm sick and tired of seeing the second price be right all the time. Either put it somewhere else or lower the playing frequency.

Showcases: I had no idea that second Showcase was this expensive.

Miscellaneous: While this was a great show despite those five losses, I certainly could've done without the shouting duo, and thankfully, they never made it on stage. Makes you wonder what would've happened had they been able to do so. And one more thing: Happy Mother's Day to all! Be sure to do something nice for her!

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 01:21:54 AM »
BEST CONTESTANTS OF THE DAY: Paula and Scott
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 02:36:10 PM »
When I saw the Mother's Day opening, I immediately hit erase on the DVR.  Sorry, but Price is not about gags and gimmicks.  Using any kind of two person format is not how these games were designed.  The greatness of one person contestant/host interaction worked brilliantly for 35 years. ...

EXACTLY!!!!!

Only I don't have a DVR. I did watch and all I can say is this is the last god$#*n time I'm ever gonna put up my viewing (and recording) time on these f*&^ing gimmick-laden pair shows!!

Back to business on Monday, though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 05:25:01 PM by Joe_Capitano »