Author Topic: Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien  (Read 9004 times)

Offline TPIRfan222

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »
Funny you should mention that...Because last night Conan DID beat Letterman. http://www.tvweek.com/tvmojoe/2009/06/ratings-obrien-off-to-a-strong-start-on-tonight.php

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 10:37:02 AM »
Funny you should mention that...Because last night Conan DID beat Letterman.

Well that's not a surprise...that was to be expected. People tuned in just to see what it would be like, many who are unaware of Conan's comedic style. A lot of them are probably Leno's old fans, too. It'll take a few weeks for people to determine whether they like Conan or not.  Some of Leno's old fans will like it and will continue to watch...others will either switch to Letterman or simply go to bed at or before 1130. It'll be interesting to see what ratings are like at the end of the month...
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 10:42:46 AM »
It dosnt surprise me that Conans debut would do well, but i think it'll become more even between him and Letterman once the new factor wears off.

The sound for the entire show was mixed poor.. Maxs band really didnt sound like themselves and Pearl Jams mix was poor (it kinda sounded like they had audience mics up too loud). Will Ferrells song to Conan even sounded poor.

The show was fun... way better than Leno but i've always been more of a Letterman guy.

Andys announcing is pretty bad and most of the time his added laughter is awkward.. it dosnt add to the jokes like Ed and Johnny. They should just save him for the sketches and banter at the desk before the guests segments.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »
It dosnt surprise me that Conans debut would do well, but i think it'll become more even between him and Letterman once the new factor wears off.

Exactly...in fact, I wouldn't even be surprised if Letterman overtakes Conan in the ratings...it would be the first time in 14 years that Letterman beat Tonight in the ratings.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 11:07:57 AM »
It was all right, though I'm likely going to switch back to Letterman.

I don't know. I'm a Letterman guy too. As far as I know, the 11:35 slot may now be a draw.

I do miss Joel Godard, though. Andy Richter as announcer just didn't do it for me.

Joel was enjoyable, but I guess if Conan had the opportunity to bring Andy back, he would. I thought Joel could possibly replace Pardo at SNL.....

The sound for the entire show was mixed poor.. Maxs band really didnt sound like themselves and Pearl Jams mix was poor (it kinda sounded like they had audience mics up too loud). Will Ferrells song to Conan even sounded poor.

I did notice. Pearl Jam in particular sounded terrible, and Andy's intro didn't sound great either [note to audio engineers: There's a reason announcers don't use lavaliers]. But it's a new room, and they've gotta work out the quirks. It's just like starting over, as Lennon said. :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:11:33 AM by Chief-O »

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 12:15:32 PM »
But it's a new room, and they've gotta work out the quirks.

Yeah, i forgot this was a brand new studio... everything other than Conan just really sounded distant and mushed together. I hope they get somebody to work on that.

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 01:28:19 PM »
Yeah, i forgot this was a brand new studio... everything other than Conan just really sounded distant and mushed together. I hope they get somebody to work on that.

Like Conan's attempt at humor? </sarcasm>

I watched the show, and did laugh, but then again, when Conan went out to LA about 10 years ago to do a week of shows, he was funny for that week, mainly because he had more material to work with. I'm wondering how long that base of new material will last and he's back to his old Masturbating Bear and bad jokes that got stale years ago.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
I'm wondering how long that base of new material will last and he's back to his old Masturbating Bear and bad jokes that got stale years ago.

i cant believe you dissed the Masturbating Bear!  :cry:  Whats next? talking smack about Preparation H Raymond?  ;)

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 03:27:02 PM »
I officially love late night TV now. :-D

I've always been a huge fan of both Conan and Craig, and finally I can see them both in one night! The set looked amazing, very awesome. I absolutely loved the open, that was quite funny. Conan was his usual funny self, and Will Ferrell was hilarious with his "Things to do in LA" list. Never been too much of a fan of Pearl Jam, but I digress. Overall an excellent show, can't wait for tonight's!
Signatures are overrated.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
CIRCLE!  CIRCLE!  CIRCLE!  CIRCLE!  CIRCLE!  CIRCLE!  CIRCLE! 

Sorry.  I couldn't resist.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 03:52:14 PM »
Many funny moments but my favorite had to be when he stopped at that doll shop in the opening video.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 03:59:01 PM »
which make it sound that it is a proven fact that every bands first album is what they should always be judged by for the rest of their career. But what do i know? I'm clearly not up to your standards of the human race.  :roll:
He may have phrased it poorly, and used too many pronouns, but I still don't think that's what he meant.  The 'their' in the second sentence does not reference the universal 'you' in the first, but goes back to refer to 'Pearl Jam'. 

The first sentence is a general case, and simply means that every band's subsequent albums will be compared to the first.  Not that they'll necessarily be judged unfavorably...just that they will by judged.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 04:03:37 PM »
I almost missed it, my wife told me just in time.

A lot of the jokes felt a bit forced, due to the fact that they were "first show" jokes. But besides that, the show was fine (as far as I can tell, at least. I only saw the first half). Conan at his best. Glad they kept the old music, though it'll take some used to with "Max Weinberg and the Tonight Show band". And the set looks amazing!

Damn straight!

Many funny moments but my favorite had to be when he stopped at that doll shop in the opening video.

The big "D" being destroyed through the doors (along with the concerned look on Conan and Andy's face) was very funny, too!

i cant believe you dissed the Masturbating Bear!  :cry:  Whats next? talking smack about Preparation H Raymond?  ;)

It's bad enough that they released Abe Vigota in the wild... :(

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 04:06:04 PM »
He may have phrased it poorly, and used too many pronouns, but I still don't think that's what he meant.  The 'their' in the second sentence does not reference the universal 'you' in the first, but goes back to refer to 'Pearl Jam'. 
The first sentence is a general case, and simply means that every band's subsequent albums will be compared to the first.  Not that they'll necessarily be judged unfavorably...just that they will by judged.

I understand Army, i woulda just dropped it, but the crack about underestimating the human race directly after quoting me was uncalled for. I thought the thread had a good back and forth going until that personal jab.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2009, 04:29:11 PM »

That was so hilarious when the studio audience started chanting it!! :lol:
Signatures are overrated.