Author Topic: Johnny Olson  (Read 3654 times)

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Johnny Olson
« on: May 22, 2009, 09:35:20 AM »
If he were alive today, our beloved TPIR announcer (1972-1985) Johnny Olson, would be 99 years old, born on this date in 1920.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOHNNY!!!   WE MISS YOU!!!

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
Re: Johnny Olson
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 09:39:06 AM »
If he were alive today, our beloved TPIR announcer (1972-1985) Johnny Olson, would be 99 years old, born on this date in 1920.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOHNNY!!!   WE MISS YOU!!!

I'm no Math major...oh, wait, YES I AM!  I think that would make Johnny 89 years old, not 99.  Unless his year of birth was 1910?

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:08:30 AM »
It was 1910.

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
I made a typo. in my original post. Johnny was indeed born in 1910 and not 1920.   

Offline plinkoplus

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 02:00:56 PM »
Hey Johnny.

Me Chris Kennedy here.

I just wanna give you a BIG SHOUT OUT!!!  and wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!.

Johnny, you always inspired me to become an announcer and host.  Something I already am doing locally.

I wish I could've met you my man and you would have been impressed by my sounding like Charlie O'Donnell, Don Pardo, and most of all, you.   

You would be proud of me.

I hope you are enojying life in the afterlife.

You will always be loved by me very fondly.

I remember seeing and hearing you during my first few years of life.  I will always cherish these memories.

But remember. you still live on, as I see and hear you everytime I put on the tv and see shows online.  I love that.

Well you take care Johnny, and to you Penny as well, a sweet woman.

Johnny, you're very kind.

Take care and bless you.

Wishing you nothing but da best,
Chris Kennedy

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 09:22:12 AM »
Happy Birthday Johnny!
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline StoxMan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 08:18:35 PM »
Happy Birthday Johnny. You were one of Game Shows very best announcers, and we miss you !

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:15:42 PM »
Happy Birthday Johnny!!! We all miss you and love you so much!!!  :-)

Offline X54321

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »
I was born in the 90's but I watched retro eps and you were good
Grocery Game fan 125356921

Offline brian1975

• Double Showcase Winner
  • hi there
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 09:31:06 PM »
long live the legend, happy birthday mr. olson.
all of this can be yours, if you can afford it.

Offline Rlotpir1972

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »
One more year and Johnny would be ONE CENTURY OLD  if he's still alive.  I'm sure he's up there somewhere doing his thing, along with other game show announcers like:

Gene Wood -- Family Feud ('76-'85 and '88-'95), Card Sharks, Classic Concentration, Password ('79-'82, '84-'89), Beat the Clock ('70-'72), Win, Lose or Draw, Child's Play, Baby Races
Rod Roddy -- Whew!, Battlestars, Love Connection, Hit Man, Press Your Luck, The Price is Right ('85-'03)
Kenny Williams -- Hollywood Squares, Gambit, High Rollers, Magnificent Marble Machine
Johnny Jacobs -- The Dating Game, The Newlywed Game, The Gong Show, The Joker's Wild, Break the Bank
Jack Clark -- '60s Password, $10,000 Pyramid, Wheel of Fortune ('78-'88), Cross-wits (hosted)
Bob Clayton -- Shoot for the Stars, Pyramids ('76-'81)
Jay Stewart -- Let's Make a Deal ('72-'77), Scrabble, Sale of the Century

...and other game show hosts like:

Allen Ludden -- Password, Password All-Stars, Password Plus
Jack Narz -- Now You See It ('74-'75), Concentration ('73-'79), Beat the Clock '79 (announced, cameo)
Gene Rayburn -- Choose or Lose, Match Game ('63-'69, '73-'82), Break the Bank '85
Jack Barry -- Twenty-One, The Joker's Wild, Break the Bank '77
Bert Convy -- Tattletales, Super Password, Win, Lose or Draw
Art Fleming -- Jeopardy! ('62-'74, '79)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:56:31 PM by Rlotpir1972 »

Offline jharvey79

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 12:58:12 PM »
Johnny Olson was definitely a class act, and a great announcer that fit in perfectly with the show...Come on Down!!!
Will Plinko ever be won???

Offline pentellit

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 02:38:09 AM »
Here is something that Holly Hallstrom wrote to a fan about Johnny Olson.  I hope you like it.
....................................... ........

I consider myself so fortunate to have worked with Johnny. He was such a fine man and human being. Did you know that he almost single-handedly funded a summer camp in the south for underprivileged boys? He never talked about it, never bragged. He was as humble as he was generous. And he never said an unkind word about anyone. He was such a sweet, kind, big hearted man who definitely was The Greatest Announcer in the business.

I remember one day watching Johnny have the flu during taping, vomiting into the wastebasket next to his podium, and the director was telling Johnny to “push it” because we were running behind. Johnny, sick as he was with the flu, throwing up into the wastebasket, was spitting out copy like a machine gun, and it was flawless! He truly was The Best in The Biz. And he loved his work.

It always bothered me that Barker introduced Johnny to the audience as “One of the world’s truly great announcers, Johnny Olson”, while Johnny introduced Barker as “The world’s greatest game show host”. I hated that. I always thought Barker should have said “THE world’s greatest announcer, Johnny Olson”, because that’s what he was.

Johnny said something to me that has stayed with me to this day. He and I were hurrying into the studio at the same time, we were both late (Johnny flew in every taping week and his plane had been delayed landing). He said “Whenever I’m running late I always say to myself ‘Uh, oh, I’m late, I’d better slow down.’” It was a funny, “opposites” kind of thing to say, and for some reason it stayed with me. I can’t tell you how many times I have said it to myself over the years, whenever I’m running late. I say to myself “Uh, oh, I’m late, I’d better slow down.” And I slow down, and I think of Johnny, and I miss him. Funny how a simple thing like that can stick with you.

I really admired Johnny, he was a twinkle-in-the-eye kind of person, special, a generous and gracious humanitarian who epitomized professionalism. I feel so blessed to have worked with him.

Thanks for letting me ramble, it’s been really nice remembering Johnny. Warm Wishes, Holly Hallstrom
Quote from: price_authority
Bob Barker seems to have little regard for testifying truthfully under oath.
Quote from: SteveGavazzi
I really have no desire to sit through another round of this.
      Then don't.
*Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION. (TY p_a ;))

Offline MarkS

• Outside in Line
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
I would have loved to meet Johnny Olson. Everything about him was first class. And no voice could generate excitement like his. We miss you, John.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »
Quote from: Holly Halstrom
I remember one day watching Johnny have the flu during taping, vomiting into the wastebasket next to his podium, and the director was telling Johnny to “push it” because we were running behind. Johnny ... was spitting out copy like a machine gun, and it was flawless!

And this is because Johnny refused to miss a taping, ladies and gentlemen. I kinda wish we could possibly narrow this down to a specific timeframe, though...

Quote from: Holly Halstrom
It always bothered me that Barker introduced Johnny to the audience as “One of the world’s truly great announcers, Johnny Olson”, while Johnny introduced Barker as “The world’s greatest game show host”. I hated that. I always thought Barker should have said “THE world’s greatest announcer, Johnny Olson”, because that’s what he was.

I'm really not surprised. Bob was never one to give titles like that to anybody but himself.
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.