Author Topic: Good hotels to stay at in Los Angeles  (Read 8911 times)

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
Good hotels to stay at in Los Angeles
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:43:43 PM »
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but what are some good, cheap hotels to stay at in Los Angeles? I ask because my family and I are planning to go to LA in May to see a taping of TPIR.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
Re: Good hotels to stay at in Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:19:41 PM »
http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,5166.0.html

As John suggests, the Farmer's Daughter is a good bet because of its love of having potential TPiR alumni, hung up on the walls for any visitors that have become contestants that have stayed there. John also suggests a cheaper alternative, the name escapes me at the moment, but it's at the link above.

The above link gives hotel suggestions near the BBS, for your information.

Hope it helps,

Prizes
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:41:44 PM »
I believe the less expensive alternative is the Bevonshire.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:15:26 AM »
That's where I was last week. You would really be taking a big risk there because despite being only around $65ish a day, there is not too many amenities. Plus, you would walk 2-5 blocks to the studio, depending on which side of Beverly you are walking on. And, on a few days, there were some people working in the room next to me. They were so loud that they literally woke me up from an post-taping afternoon rest with their very loud hammering and sawing. Also, I saw a roach-like insect twice during my stay. I can only think of two pros about that place: price and complimentary morning coffee. Sometimes the housekeeping might do a little too much work; they thought one of my white towels were theirs and one of my empty glass souvenirs was gone (the housekeeper may have thought it was garbage).
A far cry from Farmer's Daughter, but if you want to not spend a lot, give it a try.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline SecretChip

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 3/26/24 C.N.A.O.S Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:23:07 AM »
My hotel was the Hollywood Studio Inn at $52 a night on Sunset Blvd. Its a 1.7 mile drive from CBS. Courtesy of Hotwire.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:31:04 AM »
That's where I was last week. You would really be taking a big risk there because despite being only around $65ish a day, there is not too many amenities. Plus, you would walk 2-5 blocks to the studio, depending on which side of Beverly you are walking on. And, on a few days, there were some people working in the room next to me. They were so loud that they literally woke me up from an post-taping afternoon rest with their very loud hammering and sawing. Also, I saw a roach-like insect twice during my stay.

I never saw any roach-like anythings, but it would not surprise me in the least if they were there.  I thought it was fine, but my mother wasn't impressed at all.  I'd say the Bevonshire is fine if you don't care about the place being not-the-world's-cleanest (and if all you're going to do there is sleep and shower, it should suffice for that), but don't bother taking the family there.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline westcanpirfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 01:35:09 AM »
I have done the journey to PIR two different times. I have stayed at the Rodeway on Beverly Blvd (was called Beverly Guest house Inn - or something like that); the last time I stayed out of Hollywood in one of the beach cities- however I had my reasons.  Basically if you want to be close by, you're going to have to likely pay good money OR be prepared to put up with "inconveniences".

My stay at the Guest house was "OK" - meaning it served the purpose, but I wouldn't recommend it to friends/family unless they were on a really tight budget - which I was the first time around (when I stayed there).

What I liked:
close to CBS (note though, that you have about a 5 or 10 min walk to the lineup for PIR - the pics on the hotel site show CBS across the street, but you don't line up at that entrance; I knew that at time, but it could confuse people)

It was a bed to sleep in, had a bathroom, and was fairly quiet

reasonable walk to Farmers market and stores in that area

They did have a small microwave and fridge in the room, and it was airconditioned as I recall - e venthough not that hot (went in Jan 07).

What I didn't like:
Questionable on vacuuming when I first got there - there was someones old plastic shaver cover (from disposable shavers or something on the rug)

Bathroom window was clear so anyone could see in - I had to cover it over with newspaper and bought some tape at a store to make it stick - they finally did put something over it (cardboaard).

I had do not disturb up in afternoon to rest, and they came and banged on door to give me towels

Noisy from above - floors seem to need insulation

Breakfast was misleading - what they appeared to serve didn't look appealing and coffee seemed like it was left on for like 6 hours -that burnt smell.

Not really any restaurants near by that I could see (plus I didn't have a car and didn't want to wander too far); I ordered in.

It did the job (the hotel) but I just didn't feel "comfortable" there, lets just say

Farmer's daughter does seem nice; when I checked the prices for 2nd trip, I recall it being like $170.00 per night or something; was just too expensive, and as I recall though they do seem to book up! I did tour the place on trip 1 and the rooms are nice; If you can afford it, I'd probably stay there - if you want to be in Hollywood/that area for most of your stay.

If you want to be out of Hollywood and save $ and are comfortable driving - thank goodness for AVIS navigation system (Garmin) - then stay maybe in one of the beach cities and commute in. It was funky getting up at like 4am and driving in, but the navigation worked like a charm. Plus on days I wasn't going to PIR, I was out of the area and able to do other things - go To Disney land, went to an Angels game etc.[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Offline N105UA

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
Sorry for bumping this thread up, but what I have to say is important.

When I went to the tapings of TPiR, I stayed at the Farmer's Daughter.  Granted, it was expensive, but if you have AAA, they knock the price down a bit.  I've forgoten exactly what I paid per night, but considering the proximity to everything, I felt it was worth it.

Now the real reason for this bump.  There is a 11am-7am desk clerk at Farmers Daughter is a HUUUGE fan of the show.  He claims to have been to countless tapings.  He usually comes in at 10pm and has a small "class" for people going to TPiR.  Some of his schtick is informative, and its pretty entertaining.  Here's the catch...Stan knows this guy by name.   Stan asked me where I was staying and I mentioned The Farmers Daughter, not knowing anything untoward with staying there.  Stan asked about this deskclerk and called him by name and asked that I convey greetings to him if I saw him later that night.

I'm not sure if Stan is "keeping an eye out" for people staying at Farmers Daughter, but if I ever go any more tapings, I'm going to lie to Stan and say I'm staying at a different motel....even though  I will continue to stay at Farmers Daughter.

In short...two things I won't mention to anyone on the property at Television City:  1)  I'm on Golden Road   and   2) I'm staying at Farmer's Daughter.
Aircraft: "San Francisco Ground, United 863 request taxi."
Ground Controller: "United 863, hold position, you'll be following a Virgin with a tight slot."

Offline NickMurphey

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 04:36:03 PM »
I called the CBS studios and confirmed the airtime for the Season 38 season finale.  I was told so far the plan is for the Season 38 Season Finale to be taped at 1pm on May 27.  They then told me the Season 39 Season Premiere will be taped May 27 at 4pm.
  I have my tickets for the finale and WILL be the first in line. I have been to the price is right once before and I had a blast. I went to the episode where Bob Barker came on to promote his book. I actually got to give him a hug. He said he is pretty sure that that episode will be the last time he will be on the show. An amazing show.  They even brought out his microphone with the long cord.  His trademark.  Oh, and in between sets, Drew is extremely fun and really a down to earth guy.
  So anyone else going to the 1 pm taping on May 27?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 04:38:26 PM »
Uh, sir, are you a traveler from the year 2010 or did you hit a few wrong keys in typing the season numbers?
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline NickMurphey

• Outside in Line
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
Wow, thanks.  I meant season 37/38.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
Farmer's Daughter is definitely on the expensive side, but I enjoyed it there. The TPIR shrine is pretty cool, with all of the pictures of TPIR contestants that have stayed there. The room was kind of neat, too... I know this is a random thing to notice, but I thought the clock by the bed was really cool. :-)