Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/26/2009  (Read 14033 times)

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/26/2009
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 11:39:13 PM »
Spelling Bee: Again, this is one of those times where I am brushing my teeth in my bathroom, listening to the television and correctly predicting this game is on. I also wondered if and when was the last time a CAR card was picked. Oh, whatever; we got a win.

Double Prices: Drat! The Alakazam did NOT work for me.

One Wrong Price: Being a LFaT, I can only think of two prices for the riding lawnmower: $980 and $1450. When I saw that $1750, I had a feeling that would be the one to pick. Since I only play classic video game systems (like Atari 2600), I don't have a knowledge of how expensive current video game packages cost these days. $1100 for two PSP 3000s? Okay.

Squeeze Play: Oh, the second number and having 0 as the second-to-last number. I think I would not realize the whole 0 thing until after I pulled a number.

Stack the Deck: I've had a few close crapshoots such as what numbers to pick and choosing between 0 and 1 for the second number. Then hoping Carlos picked the right number. I let out a scream.

magic #: oh, too low, too low.

Well, I can agree with leafsfan. It's great to attend a taping, despite the outcomes, but sometimes when you just watch it, it may seem blah for some.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 11:50:46 PM »
Spelling Bee was just odd with the model.   I'm undecided, but the moments where Bob used to "sneak up on it" aren't possible this way.

But were they really any more possible with Drew than they are with Rachel?

I'm with Frank -- as goofy as it is to have a Beauty operating Spelling Bee, it's actually an improvement.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 11:52:38 PM »
leafsfan17 wasn't the only member in attendance for the taping of today's episode -- I was there, too!  If only I had known...

My friend Patrick and I got in line around 5:45 AM or so and were #125 and #126 respectively; we had our first priority numbers by 6:30 AM or so, and were told to be back around 8:30 AM, IIRC.  I seem to remember being in Studio 33 by Noon or so, and the taping started earlier than the posted 1:15 PM start time; indeed, during the warm-up, Rich had commented that they were starting an finishing tapings earlier in recent days.  A few other changes from when I attended my last taping in Feb 2008:  While waiting in line, you're given a white card to fill out with your interests and "anything else you would like the producers to know about you", though we were told that the info on this card would not "make or break our chance to be a contestant".  The warm-up seemed shorter than in previous years, as did our wait inside the studio, and they showed clips from Drew's previous shows to get us laughing. 

Patrick and I didn't have much luck with our seats:  we were in the section to the right, behind the producers' desk, and up toward the back, so the turntable was pretty much out of view for us.  Also, the surprise if I would be called or not was ruined:  I saw a chart of the audience seating on back of one of the cameras, with marks where the contestants to be called were sitting (the pages, no doubt, were watching where we sat by our numbers).  Better luck next time, I guess!  Now, onto the show...

SPELLING BEE:  Ironically, what most of us considered to be the height of the show was the one game I couldn't see at all from my seat, as the producers' desk had the little door/window closed!!  That said, it was an exciting finish going down to the 5th and final card.  Obviously, I have no idea if I would've won or not, but I would have won all three small prizes -- and three cards -- as I would've guessed $25 for that yoga mat.

In case anyone was curious, there is no break in taping between the 1st pricing game and IUFB #2; they just keep on going, keeping with the tradition of taping it as if it were a live show...

IUFB #2:  Carlos's T-shirt was a send-off of "Now...or Then" with Bob's pic on it; the wedges had the names of past and present (or "then" and "now") models and announcers.  I believe some of the others in his group had similar tee-shirts, albeit with Drew's pic on it.

DOUBLE PRICES:  $7194 looked much more logical than did $8205 for the price of the hot tub, namely the "94" ending.  As for John, I remember seeing him in line, but he was quiet out there, so I wonder what he did/said during his interview.  He was much more energetic after getting called down.  Then again, I would be, too!

1 WRONG PRICE:  My pick would have been the riding mower, but only because I thought it was more expensive than $1750; I was a bit surprised to see the ARP of $1450.

Drew talked a little bit about his time in the Marines during one of the breaks, commenting that he was glad he never had to "do that in real life" (i.e. a war).

SQUEEZE PLAY:  By now, they had opened up the front "window" on the producers' desk, so I was able to see some of the Squeeze Play board, including the little plexiglass compartment where the extraneous digit is dropped.  For me, that 0 stood out like a sore thumb, so I would have been 3 for 4 (maybe 4 for 4?) by this point.

Patrick and I were finally visible on camera during this act...

STACK THE DECK:  Carlos had 0, 1, and 5 as choices to complete $2_974 for the car's price; just as Drew was pushing the button for the reveal, I turned to Patrick and said "But maybe it's the 0!", and sure enough...During the following commercial break, Drew asked Carlos if he had considered the 0 and/or 5 as possibilities for the 2nd digit, or if he ruled these out thinking that they would only be the last digit.

MAGIC #:  I agree with jharvey79:  this was indeed a forgettable show (I'll probably end up deleting my recording, despite the fact I was in the audience!), and the lineup was far from being my favorite:  until I saw that Magic # was up as the last game.  I've always been dying to see how they do the optical illusion for this game, and I'm there in person to see it, but then disater struck:  from my seat, I could only see the side of the prop! NOOOO!!!  :-x I wonder if leafsfan17 had a better view of the game's innards...In any event, I usually know to set the Magic # high, but I would have lost had I been up there:  my guess would have been $2000, and I would have fallen short!  Of course, being there in person on May 11, I didn't have the advantage of seeing Magic #'s last playing, in which a similar situation took place with regard to two high prices.  I have to say that those "ladies' accessories" were a lot more expensive than I would have expected (not that the 'fridge was cheap!).

SHOWCASES:  I was screaming $15,000-$16,000 for both of these showcases, and it was painfully obvious that we had a Double Overbid on our hands...So now we had a forgettable show with a sad ending!   :cry:

Fifth time wasn't a charm for me, but I'm not giving up...

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 12:31:40 AM »
Either Ginger hates Mini Coopers or really, REALLY needs $5,000. There's no other excuse for her taking so long to decide whether to play or not.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Ginger
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline Eddie

• Walking the Golden Road
    • #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 03:01:47 AM »
Stack the Deck was pretty tough.

Heavy on the trips on the Showcase Road, both had two.
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline trustno1

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 04:14:35 AM »
I was disappointed that there was a Double Overbid, particularly when one of the trips was to Kangaroo Island, a place I actually visited when I was staying in Adelaide for a weekend.
BTW I hope that Rachel wasn't wearing a short skirt when she was on the trampoline.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »
Opening:  There was an obvious skip during the playing of "Walking"... right around the time that John got called down.

Bee:  Nice change of pace to see Rachel turn over the cards.

One-Bid #2:  This may be the first time that a contestant has worn a picture of the Now or Then prop.

One-Bid #3:  Nice new camera angle for the overhead prize platform.

Stacky:  The GPs were easy, but the car price wasn't.  $21,974 looked just as good as $20,974.

Magic:  Yay!  Magic Number! :P

SC #2:  Ugh... epic failcase.

My showcase bids:
NOLA/Nile--$17,107
Vegas/Aussie--$19,107

Result:  I think those ARPs got reversed.  There is no way that Australia could be that cheap... even if it is a NWA trip.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:44 PM »
Spelling: I'm mixed on Rachel turning the cards. She turns them better than Drew, though. Last card comes through for Ginger. Victorious!!!  :-)

Double: Very nice.

OWP: I had a hunch it would be the lawn mower as well.

Squeeze: $5132??!! Are You serious?  :oops:

Stack: Remember my comment after the previous 1/2 Off playing? Another example.

Magic #: Too.............Slow..............and.. .............Too................Low.  :-P

Showcases: Boy, were the trip showcases just asking for us to be fooled!!!  :evil:

A 1.50-star show.

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 12:22:36 AM »
Opening:  There was an obvious skip during the playing of "Walking"... right around the time that John got called down.

I don't recall them doing any editing during this portion of the taping; however, they were having some trouble with the sound system during the first one or two acts of the show -- the audio as we were hearing it in the audience would go quiet at times.  They did have to stop and reboot the audio during one of the commercial breaks; not sure if this was related or not.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 11:14:33 PM »
Game #168 (#7,090)

Showcase #1
Kayak - $2,899
Trip to New Orleans - $3,191
Tour of Egypt - $13,791

Showcase #2
Trampoline - $929