Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/27/2009  (Read 23610 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/27/2009
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 11:43:44 PM »
How many 0-6 shows have their beem this season?

Eight too many - three this month. (Anything over zero is too many)

This is out of hand!

Amen.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:46:31 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 12:23:29 AM »
Quote from: JayC
I'm starting to think that they're going to give contestants the 0 at the end of each guess for free by having it placed on each square at the start of the game.  Goldenroadfanatic brought up a good point- Bob made losses in the game more fun since he would always get annoyed with contestants and chide them.  Drew is a little too mild-mannered.

Yes, but Goldenroadfanatic's point was being made to address the 10 second "rule", not the ZERO rule.  With today's playing, the 10 second rule didn't really apply, as Jonathan was pretty good about writing down his guesses fairly quickly.

I don't see any reason to mess with the game, when it comes to the ZERO.  Some contestants know it, and most figure it out quickly enough.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 01:25:06 AM »
BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Chandra
SHOW GRADE: 1

Offline Rlotpir1972

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 01:37:34 AM »
Ten Chances:  Another clown NOT knowing the 0-rule.  The judge was no angel, zapping the contestant before Drew hit the buzzer.  On the other hand, he didn't waste a lot of time writing the bad prices.

Offline Celso1982

• Outside in Line
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 07:55:53 AM »
Eight too many - three this month. (Anything over zero is too many)

Amen.

Joe, would this be considered a record numer of skunking in one season?

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 11:25:24 AM »
Someone will have to dig deep into the archives for this one, but when was the last time Ten Chances had a prize's price end in something other than zero (0), or even five (5) for that matter? It HAD to have been in the early 1980s at the latest that non-zero ending prizes were used.

You know the producers are just sneaky enough to revert to the trick of abandoning the "zero" rule to make the game "more challenging" (and because of guys like today's contestant, who don't catch on to this simple rule, or think it exists, or the audience must be consulted or have no concept of binary search, or whatever).

I chuckled when Jonathan so bluntly exclaimed he had no idea what to bid on his Showcase.  How are you supposed to a personal trainer for a year, a personal chef for a day, and maid service for a year?  Throwing in one of those isn't such a big problem, but when you use those vague prizes to fill up a rather inexpensive Showcase, then there's a problem.

OK then, Nick, what do you propose adding to an inexpensive Showcase such as this to fill it out and make it desirable to the contestant ... but then keep it within the show's budget at the same time?

Brian
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:32:53 AM by Briguy »

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
I chuckled when Jonathan so bluntly exclaimed he had no idea what to bid on his Showcase.  How are you supposed to a personal trainer for a year, a personal chef for a day, and maid service for a year?

They keep being offered over and over again on the show, and they're sponsored (bigcitychefs.com, findmytrainer.com, The Maids). If you've watched the show, and prepared, you can find out the costs of those items.

Personal Chef for 2 - $350.
Personal Trainer for a Year - $65/session, about 45 sessions in a year
The Maids - I'd have to make a phone call, which requires too much effort for this post. :-P
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 12:07:16 PM »
A few things popped into my head today:

1) I absolutely hate Pick-a-Number for a car. It seems too "cheap" to be played for a car and it has been played way way too much this season. If I were ever lucky enough to come on down and get on stage, I would cry if Pick-a-Number appeared. The set itself is just awful.

2) Rich's descriptions in the showcase were rambling at times. I'd take less description about the depth of the whatever in Belize in exchange for longer pricing games earlier in the show.

3) I do not like how the show is occasionally going to more than 3 prizes in a showcase (bedroom/matress, dining room/placesettings, living room/carpet counting as 1). It wastes time that could, again, be better spent on longer pricing games. There were 6! prizes in SC#2 today: personal trainer, home gym, stove/range, cooking lessons, maid service, trip to Belize. This is not the 1970s and time is limited - don't waste it on describing 6 things!

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »
I do not like how the show is occasionally going to more than 3 prizes in a showcase (bedroom/matress, dining room/placesettings, living room/carpet counting as 1). It wastes time that could, again, be better spent on longer pricing games. There were 6! prizes in SC#2 today: personal trainer, home gym, stove/range, cooking lessons, maid service, trip to Belize. This is not the 1970s and time is limited - don't waste it on describing 6 things!

OK, how is time "limited" now compared to the 1970s — aside from the long, rambling commercials selling scooters for the mobility limited and life insurance to the elderly? If it were me, I would stick with commercials for household products and food, and the occassional promo for soap opera or prime-time show ... just like the 1970s.

Brian

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 03:12:46 PM »
OK, how is time "limited" now compared to the 1970s — aside from the long, rambling commercials

You just answered your own question.  The show consists of about five minutes less of program and five minutes more of commercials than it did back then.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 03:33:43 PM »
You just answered your own question.  The show consists of about five minutes less of program and five minutes more of commercials than it did back then.

Well, then it ought to do away with the "long, rambling" commercials. Less program equals a less appealing product, IMO.

Brian

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »
Well, then it ought to do away with the "long, rambling" commercials. Less program equals a less appealing product, IMO.

It's not the show's call -- the time was taken away by CBS.  In a warped way, it actually shows that they had confidence in TPIR's ability to sell things (not that that makes it any less annoying, of course).
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »
Yes, but Goldenroadfanatic's point was being made to address the 10 second "rule", not the ZERO rule.  With today's playing, the 10 second rule didn't really apply, as Jonathan was pretty good about writing down his guesses fairly quickly.

I don't see any reason to mess with the game, when it comes to the ZERO.  Some contestants know it, and most figure it out quickly enough.
I know, but I don't think the 10 second rule would make the game any more winnable.  I wouldn't want to see a 0 placed for free at the end of each item for free in a million years, but I have to think the show may do it if there continues to be players like this who don't get to the car or only get 1 or 2 guesses at it.

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 01:35:58 AM »
Has anyone noticed something about Chandra if it's not mentioned yet?  What I saw in her from being jumpy and excited when she went up on stage to semi grumpy when she went from $500-$100 in the punchboard and the same thing shen she lost the Shoucase.>>?

Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2009, 09:51:37 PM »
Punch-a-Bunch-Finally, a normal looking bill.  I wish they'd use this one from now on, but I highly doubt they will.

Bullseye-I think that's the 1st time ever Drew explained and hosted the hidden bullseye part well; very nice.  1st loss since October 8th.

1 Right Price-These designer products are seriously getting old.  And another contestant underprices them, causing a loss.

10 Chances-That was really unnecessary for Drew to make that comment at the beginning of the game.  Jonathan actually played the game reasonably well, but took too long to win the grill.

Another 0-6 day; this is just pathetic. :-(
All Hail Sinfonia!