Author Topic: January 28, 1976: FULL EPISODE  (Read 2026 times)

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
January 28, 1976: FULL EPISODE
« on: June 05, 2009, 02:09:45 PM »
Well, I've been gone for a while - my recent acquisition of the All-Star Family Feud DVD set (why no Ray Combs episodes?) and my seasonal allergies causing the problem.

But I'm back with ANOTHER FULL EPISODE! This time it's Episode #1783D from 1/28/76 - nearly three months have passed since the transition to the hour-long format, so let's take a look at how the show was coming along by this point...

(I shall post my personal observations later. For now...ON WITH THE FREAKIN' SHOW!!!)

====

Opening and Game #1 - Includes GSN bumper, a brief Cullen clip, a shot of this episode's origin, and...wait, are those titles PINK?

Game #2 - Revealed by the Magic Gold Curtain, plus a technical snafu. Note Bob's detailed rule explanation, as well.

Game #3 - The second of three playings I have (in chronological order) where suckiness is evident.

Showcase Showdown #1 - Note how barren the Big Wheel is... (part of the ongoing fulfillment of a request by YouTube user "Julius121081" for complete Showcase Showdowns from 1975-1990)

Game #4 - Not yet, folks...not yet. (WARNING: If you are prone to epileptic seizures, PLEASE SKIP THE PORTION FROM 5:15-5:18)

Game #5 - Usually, you don't consider this too bizarre, but... Includes a nice exchange before the One-Bid, with a possible joke about Bob's age!

Game #6 - I'm pretty certain this is the earliest playing I have in my collection.

Showcase Showdown #2 (see above)

Showcases - "A Bicentennial Salute To Mack Sennett" (the original "Pie-Fight" Showcase) & Results

====

And as a special bonus, here's the first minute of Segment 7 as I originally recorded it -- very badly, so it's the first part of my "Blooper Reel".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:04:19 PM by temptation1979ga »
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: January 28, 1976: FULL EPISODE
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 06:06:44 PM »
Oh thanks for this Danny!  :biggrin:

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
So, I see the 1972 come on down music was still being used into 1976.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 10:18:56 AM »
That's the first time I've ever seen a nun as a contestant. Has anyone seen one on another episode?

Wow, Card Game: painful. Card Game for a sub-$4000 car seems unnecessarily hard with the ranges they had then, doesn't it? Lucky Seven wasn't played too well, either.

What was up with that sewing machine in Most Expensive? $800 in 1976? Does that little table really add that much value?

They were in a hurry by the end. Don't quite see what caused it.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 07:09:37 PM »
I must say...the Big Wheel looks really bizarre without the green spaces around the dollar space. :D
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 11:44:12 PM »
You know, this show made me wonder something that I'm surprised I never thought of before -- I wonder if Card Game was conceived as a way to control the budget.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 04:30:56 PM »
(I shall post my personal observations later...)

It's later. :-) These are my observations and wonderings regarding the events seen in Segments 1-5; Please note that I wrote these while viewing the videos in Windows Media Player, and may not be entirely accurate.

SEGMENT 1
* 0:06-0:15 -- "HOUR POWER" flashes eight times...in PINK.
* 1:03-1:06 -- The superimposed logo transitions to Door #2...and is nowhere near overlayed.
* 1:25-1:29 -- The vanity shows the back of the door as the latter opens!
* 1:36-1:38 -- Just WHAT is the vanity showing us in the top-right corner? (The bottom-left corner is part of the door border.)
* 1:38-1:42 -- The main door pops open!
* 2:35/2:41-2:42/2:46-2:47 -- Look, up in the rafters! It's the Giant Price Tag and some other IUFB cover!
* Lucky Seven -- Didn't the logo's light border start doing its "game win" chase (as the board was revealed) at some point?
* 5:17-5:23 -- Why do a rotating camera shot like that? Never mind - it's Breslow, so who cares?

SEGMENT 2
* 2:22-2:24/2:30-2:36 -- The portable TV is reflecting the Big Door's border.
* 3:24-3:29 -- Bob states that the contestant must pick the five numbers to use in his poker hand, a rule which had supposedly been abandoned by October 26, 1975.
* 3:45-3:54 -- Bob explains the different hands possible, however forgets to mention Full House (Three-Of-A-Kind + One Pair) between Three-Of-A-Kind and Four-Of-A-Kind.
* 5:10-5:26/5:37-5:57 -- Bob describes the House as being himself, something he would later do in Hit Me.

SEGMENT 3
* 0:08-0:12 -- Damn, that's a big sign...
* 0:26-0:28 -- I've always wondered...how do they open the Clam, anyway?
* 1:26-1:36 -- Another cameo by the Giant Price Tag, plus Hi-Lo being pulled out.
* 1:32-1:36 -- See? Even Bob counts the grocery products!
* Grocery Descriptions -- How do Borateem, Epoxy Fast Glue, and Hefty Trash Bags count as GROCERIES?!
* 2:39-2:40 -- Only $999?
* 3:24 -- SEVENTY-NINE CENTS for 30 trash bags? Was this set up for a loss or something?
* 3:39-3:45 -- Bob doesn't even bother putting the other two prices in the "LO" row...

SEGMENT 4
* 0:09-0:26 -- The Price is Right is a brig? And there's prisoners? In regard to most of the staff, this is called "foreshadowing"...
* 0:35-0:37 -- BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!
* 0:39-0:42 -- Boy, the Big Wheel feels naked...no wall design, no green sections, a huge space to the left of the Wheel itself, huge handles...
* 0:58-1:15 -- SHA-HEEN! And the top SHA-HEEN! flashes to the boops...which are rather deep.
* 1:16-1:17 -- Get it in frame, Breslow!
* 1:21-1:23 -- That split-screen arrow is larger than I thought...and the "fake" arrow is just below the "real" one for this spin ONLY. Apparently Breslow realized how it actually pointed to 25 instead of 90.
* 1:27-1:28 -- Boy, it really DOES look naked...
* 2:23-2:31 -- Bob adds 75 to 95, then has to correct himself when the pointer goes to 50. She's still over, though.
* 3:42-3:45 -- A nice FULL shot of the Big Wheel at this point. It traded in its gold suit for a pink (red?) Pricedown dollar-sign one and splashed some green paint on the 5 and 15, both during Season 7.

SEGMENT 5
* 0:20-0:24 -- FINALLY! Our friend the Giant Price Tag actually does something!
* 0:44-0:47 -- Nothing like scoring some Baskin' Robbins with Anitra...or Janice. Or Dian. ^_^
* 1:33-1:34/1:41-1:47 -- Dian + Sofa-Bed = ...Well, that was rather generous of somebody.
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.