Author Topic: CSS Leaderboard - after 36 weeks  (Read 1483 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
CSS Leaderboard - after 36 weeks
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:17:03 PM »
Some movement amongst the top 10 in points, as players battle for the important playoff points.  3 days of regular season last.  I'll post standings on Wednesday night and have the bonus points ready to go. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: CSS Leaderboard - after 36 weeks
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 02:28:33 PM »
Doesn't look like I'm gonna make the top 10 in points this year, but I still have a shot at top 10 in monies...just gotta keep cashing (DSWing helps, too :D ), and I should be top 10 in cash for the second straight year.

With my considerably better bidding over the past week and a half (with numerous three-digit differences), that shouldn't be a problem. All I gotta do is make sure that all of those three-digit differences are in the right direction! :D
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• Loyal Friend and True
  • -This space for rent-
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »
Hmm...looks like I have no chance whatsoever on points (which isn't surprising at all), but I can overtake Ezno's cash total if I can swing one showcase next week. 

Yeah, I might have to go for broke.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:17:08 AM »
If I'm doing my math correctly--not my strong point this year, admittedly--I theoretically could get in the top ten for money if I QSW all three days and get lucky that the showcases are fairly expensive.

...why do I even pretend that could happen :P?

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 12:38:50 PM »
This is GRBC: Golden-Road Brodacasting Company.

Hello and welcome to the coverage of the Golden-Road.net CSS Hunt for June and the Playoffs. I'm Jordan F./UniquePerspective, providing you with the best almost sportscaster like coverage. Well, we're at an exciting time folks. Three days until the 2009 Playoffs begin, and the battle for the CSS 2009 title commences. With the wacky ride that Season 37 has brought us, has brought us a rollercoaster of CSS for many folks. But the journey is now at an end. And although the line is set in stone, nobody can move above or below it, there are still some battles for bonus points for both points and cash to be had. Let's check them out.

Points: At the moment, sideshowPA appears to have his regular season points title in solid shape, with an 11.29 lead over current second place, goldroadfanatic. And right below sidey is our first battle. goldy, rodroddyfan in 3rd and TPIRSteven in 4th are all within 1.12 points of each other. All it will take is a good week from one and a bad week from the others for someone to take the number 2 spot. Even Chad1787, currently in 5th has a shot if he plays and gets himself a good week, or the others fall and let him sneak on in. Moving on down, number 6 in points GoldenBulldog and number 7 BRB_TheFireball may have a harder time creeping into the top 5, but they do appear in solid position to be in the top 10 and get those points. And right below these guys, lies the most intriguing battle for points. Between 8th place Flerbert419 and BuddyTom all the way in 13th are a mere 1.8 points. So Flerb, 9th place dh027, 10th mikebev25, 11th JokerFan, 12th Chief and Tom very well may be in a heated battle this week for three spots. Who will have the good weeks? Who will have the good weeks to be able to protect or climb to these crucial spots? And who will falter under the pressure of those bonus points? We shall have to see. And with Tom's surprise on Wednesday (I'm banking this one on triple points and cash), will someone come out of left field to rise to the top?

Cash: At the moment, BRB_TheFireball appears to have his grasp on the cash title in firm grasp, with over a $150,000 lead over current second placer pathfinder20. And with the fall of early season favorite and current 3rd lace Enzo Aquarius to below the line, the gap between pathy and his competition is further, yet with PriceFanArmadillo a mere $64k behind pathy, all it may take is one or two of those DSW's, especially on Wednesday, and it may be enough. But Army better watch his heels too, because right behind him at 5th and 6th are goldy and Sidey, with 4th and 6th separated by just $47k. We then go down to spots and see 7th place Kev347 and 8th place GoldenBulldog separated by only $24k, with one game going either of their ways possibly deciding the battle, And only 24k behind Bully is our fearless host BuddyTom, maybe a good show his way will get him some higher points. Even yours truly at 10th is less than 50k behind our host, maybe good things my way can get me up a couple spots if I have a good enough few days. But I have to be on the lookout too. Because right behind me by only 13k is JokerFan, looking to reclaim that 10th spot that's been switched around many times this season. I'm by no means safe. And even besides Joker, Chad at 12th, visualbasicwizard at 13th, tpirfan28 at 14th and WhammyPower788 at 15th are all within 100k of me and even closer to Joker, so one good day could completely change this. And again, could a good day on Wednesday from someone on the outside elevate them up? We'll see.

For more coverage of the 2009 CSS Hunt for June and Playoffs, stay tuned. I'm Jordan F, have a good day everybody.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 01:53:12 PM »
...why do I even pretend that could happen :P?

A couple of seasons ago, the only way heelsrule1988 was in the playoffs was if he DSWd and cashed on the last day, which was triple values. And he did. So never say never!

Though in this case I'm sure you know it's pretty darn unlikely. :biggrin:
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 01:54:57 PM »
I'm in second place, tied with Sidey for the bonus points each of us will receive in the playoffs, and hopefully I will rise to the top.  May the best player win!

*Cues "Gonna Fly Now."*
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »
*Cue the old WWF/E "Saturday Night's Main Event" theme*

[ESPN]

Two years ago, John "GoldenBulldog" Gillmen had a 58.56 point average, putting him near the bottom at number 26 with the 3rd most overbids in the league at 66.  With just three DSW's to his credit and only one win, his cash total that year was a paltry $65,547.  Flash forward to one year ago, where Gillmen nearly quadrupled his money total from the year before with $475,384, putting him at 9th in cash, but a 2nd-worst 68 overbids throughout the season caused him to slip to 2nd-to-dead-last with a meager 56.75 point average--just a shade over tpirfan28 for the cellar spot.  Last season, he only had three wins and three DSW's--the most notable of which was an exacta on January 24, 2008.

That was one year ago.  As the sports experts always say:  what a difference a year makes!

After Week 36 of the 2008-2009 CSS season, the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi student has made perhaps the most improbable and unlikely turnaround in this game's five year history.  Sparked by a newfound confidence in his Showcase bidding, he has risen from near the bottom to a solid 6th in overall point average with 75.15 points--nearly 20 points better than last season.  His cash total of $502,853 is just over $25,000 better than last year's total, placing him in 8th position in cash.  That is not the end of this remarkable story by any stretch; Gillmen has six wins during the 2008-2009 season, which is more wins than his previous two seasons COMBINED.  He has nine total DSW's, which puts him 3rd in the League in that category; he now has more DSW's than his previous two seasons COMBINED.  His overbids have dropped by a staggering 20--from 68 last year to 48 this year, and his total points--10,821.77--put him 2nd in the League just behind BRB_TheFireball, who's had a not-so-Fireball-esque type of season this year.  It is also worth noting that Gillmen went a career-best ten games without going over; his previous best no-over run:  only three games dating back to last year.

Even though most experts at Las Vegas pick goldroadfanatic to win the 2008-2009 CSS Championship, several oddsmakers place GoldenBulldog as a close second-place finisher when the playoffs come to an end on June 24th.  However, should Bulldog pull off the upset, one source tells me that "Hell will instantly freeze over," which is exactly the type of chaos that has been rampant throughout Bulldog's improbable season.  However, Bulldog released a statement which simply said:  "The magic carpet ride is only beginning."  You're watching the Golden-Road Broadcasting Company. 

[/ESPN]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:30:03 PM by GoldenBulldog »
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 03:08:33 PM »
I'm definitely in the playoffs, no matter what.  But can I get back my championship title?  That's gonna be really hard, considering my recent run of overbids.  Plus, I'm heading for Cashville this Friday, so I won't be here to play CSS on that day.

We'll see what happens.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 03:31:33 PM »
*ESPN National Hockey Night theme*

Last year, cu2010 made his debut in CSS on October 30th, in the middle of the third week of the Drew Carey Era.  His career started out a bit rough, but eventually became a fairly good CSS player, raking in tons of dough to finish in the top 10 in monies in just his first season. During the course of the season, cu became known as the "King of FRATS", becoming one of very few players who could actually price trips, a very rare feat to pull off. Though he fell short in the playoffs, mostly due to several unexpected roadtrips that prevented him from playing, he still left even more prepared for the next Season.

In September 2008, the rollercoaster that is TPIR Season 37, also known as cu's second CSS year, began, and things did not go well. For one, he was unable to play as often as he was in his first season due to a more demanding school schedule which often prevented him from watching the show when it aired.  However, he still sought to make a mark on the field this season, however, more and more random and often impossible to price prizes in the so-called "Drewcases" often caused him to either majorly garf...or go OVER. cu also had troubles moving up the Leaderboard, especially on Double Values Fridays, when he went OVER on eight Friday games in a row.  He got his first DSW of the season during Christmas week, however, things would only continue to go downwards from there.

In March and April 2009, cu was only able to play once a week due to an even more demanding school and work schedule. This, coupled with even more randomness, did not help matters one bit. He looked to fall short in making the top 10 in cash, and looked to finish somewhere near the bottom of the Leaderboard. However, in late May, things began to look up. Suddenly, he was able to actually price the Showcases, with many three-digit differences (although several were in the wrong direction), and two wins in the span of three weeks, along with another DSW, and looked to actually make a threat in the 2008-09 CSS Playoffs.

Will the good bidding continue? Or will cu epically fail with a nice, long string of overbids once the playoffs begin? Find out, only on Chatroom Showcase Showoff!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 03:34:57 PM by cu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• Loyal Friend and True
  • -This space for rent-
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 04:02:58 PM »
A couple of seasons ago, the only way heelsrule1988 was in the playoffs was if he DSWd and cashed on the last day, which was triple values. And he did. So never say never!

Though in this case I'm sure you know it's pretty darn unlikely. :biggrin:

You're forgetting the Plinko doubler.  :)

EDIT:  Yeah, looking back at it, he didn't DSW.  It was a Plinko doubler.  Still, it was pretty amazingly unlikely.  :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:06:38 PM by PriceFanArmadillo »
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 04:58:51 PM »
It's really kind of a double-edged sword for me and everyone else fighting it out for those last top 10 spots. I know part of me wants to bid aggressively to get as many points as possible and beat the others. But, at the same time, part of me wants to be conservative, making sure that I avoid going over, knowing that even one big fat 0.00 could easily drop me from the top 10, especially if just a couple of the others do well that day.

I'll probably bid relatively normally and let the chips fall where they may. Should be an interesting final 3 games.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 10:39:53 PM »
[SportsCenter talk]

Steven has proven to be a legitimate contender in his rookie year in CSS, as he is currently in fourth place heading into the final games of the regular season before the playoffs begin.  Plagued by bad luck the first half of the season, Steven didn't reach the $100,000 mark in cash until April.  Despite the bad luck though, Steven maintained a low overbid percentage to keep himself consistently in the top ten in points average.

In early April, Steven's luck reversed, sparked by an incredibly lucky EXACTA on a random trip showcase on April 9th, and he has been on fire since then.  Since the beginning of April, Steven has built his cash total to a respectable 17th place, and he has increased his points average to 81.52, good for 4th place.  Steven snapped a personal-best 14-game no-OVER streak on Wednesday, but hopes to get a new one started this week just in time for the playoffs to begin.

This week will be a showdown between Steven and rodroddyfan for third place, as the two are currently only 0.05 points apart.  He also has a shot at second place if he can DSW and/or if goldroadfanatic overbids a couple of times.

[/SportsCenter talk]