Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/10/2009  (Read 22448 times)

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/10/2009
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 05:52:56 PM »
If Drew just squeaks out, "lower!" after a bid of $650, who wouldn't think he's implying $649? 

Not necessarily $649, but somewhere in the range of close. I don't know if that has the same effect in your mind, but it wouldn't trigger just one price with me. Sometimes he'll also use similiar intonations though when someone is bidding the same direction but getting no progress, as if to imply WAY lower or WAY higher. So I do get what your'e saying but I think there's a lot more analysis to it than you think. Also, Bob did it on occasions more than you think, even if a bit more subtly.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 06:03:35 PM »
Speaking of Swap Meet, the logo made for a terrible background behind the camcorder.

I don't think it was just used for the camcorder, I think it's nailed to the center backdrop.  We shall find out sometime in Season 38 if this is true, barring they play Swap Meet again before the season's out.

Standards and Practices should really check out today's playing of Clock Game.  Drew downright cheated, plain and simple, giving way too much suggestion with the intonation in his voice...

By that logic, you should tell S&P to check every Clock Game.  Even  Bob made inflections in his voice in response to particular bids; even he said higher or lower in a particular way whenever someone was close to the ARP.  Not as squeaky as Drew, mind you, but in a way that can tip someone off as to how close or far away they are from the price.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
Not necessarily $649, but somewhere in the range of close. I don't know if that has the same effect in your mind, but it wouldn't trigger just one price with me.

Except there was a very distinct difference between how Drew responded to $670 and $660 to $650, and he was nowhere near implying proximity as he did with that third response.

I don't think it was just used for the camcorder, I think it's nailed to the center backdrop.

I thought that at first, but it looked so perfectly squared behind the camcorder that it must have been attached to the stand it was on, but then again, I don't doubt DiPirro's abilities as a director to square the shot up so well to make it look like it was attached to the stand when it was on the wall.

By that logic, you should tell S&P to check every Clock Game.  Even  Bob made inflections in his voice in response to particular bids; even he said higher or lower in a particular way whenever someone was close to the ARP.  Not as squeaky as Drew, mind you, but in a way that can tip someone off as to how close or far away they are from the price.

True, but Bob usually only did that for bids over $1,000 or extremely low bids, so low that no prizes would ever fall within those amounts.  He might do it for more general amounts, but generally when a contestant was making unfitting bids after not correctly acting on one of Bob's responses.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 06:27:39 PM »
True, but Bob usually only did that for bids over $1,000 or extremely low bids, so low that no prizes would ever fall within those amounts.  He might do it for more general amounts, but generally when a contestant was making unfitting bids after not correctly acting on one of Bob's responses.

He did shout "LOWER!" or "HIGHER!" whenever an outrageously low or outrageously high bid was made, but he did this "low-er" or "high-er" (try saying that by emphasizing 'LO' and quickly saying the 'wer' to get what I mean) whenever someone was close to the price, and this happened in quite a few playings.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Drewfan2008

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 06:49:07 PM »
Standards and Practices should really check out today's playing of Clock Game.  Drew downright cheated, plain and simple, giving way too much suggestion with the intonation in his voice.  If Drew just squeaks out, "lower!" after a bid of $650, who wouldn't think he's implying $649?  Absolutely uncalled for and unprofessional.  If Drew would quit making such a scene and fretting over concentrating on what the contestant's bids are, he might be able to put in the effort to actually handle Clock Game properly.
From my standpoint, it looks like your digging in deep to find something to complain about. As the others have said, Bob did this quite a few times. But Drew does this, and you want Standards and Practices to be called in. Sorry, not going to happen.

Offline res0xn12

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
From my standpoint, it looks like your digging in deep to find something to complain about. As the others have said, Bob did this quite a few times. But Drew does this, and you want Standards and Practices to be called in. Sorry, not going to happen.

Nick has a point, though.  Sure, Bob has done this, quite often, as has been said.  But, some call it cheating, others call it assistance.  I say let S&P take a look and either put it in the clear, or have Drew watch the intonation.  The intonation is the key to it all.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 07:16:35 PM »
Drew did nothing wrong in Clock Game.  God forbid we actually get a winner once per show.  As mentioned, Bob lead contestants with intonation frequently--and completely stopped game play when the bid was ridiculously off.  Kudos to Drew for not being a stick-in-the-mud just saying "higher" or "lower" plainly without emotion or enthusiasm toward the game.

I think--to me--that the Logo in Swap Meet is a part of the background prop.  It looked like its focus was slightly different than the camcorder.  Regardless, it needs to go.  Wrong place for the show's logo.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline pricefan1991

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »
Personally, I kind of liked the logo behind the camcorder. It made the area look less boring then a normal backdrop would.

For the clock game issue, I don't see that much of a problem with it.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 08:19:43 PM »
PA#:  First again!  Wow, the one number up that was obviously wrong was the 5, and Teresa actually picked it.

One-Bid #2:  What a bunch of dumb bids.  Especially the one from Justin, who thought he was hot ham hocks when he bid $1, thinking that those lamps were $299 or less.

Grandy:  Yikes!  Deluxe mixed nuts claims another victim.  Different brand from Fisher, but same result.

TTM:  Yeah, when the prices start at $22,990, there's an excellent chance that the second price is the one to stop on.  But once again, I thought the first price was too much.

Swappy:  I'm getting really sick of this game, Adam.  Seriously.  I mean it.

Key:  But here's a game (and a cue) that I will never get sick of.  Yay!  Master Key and ! :P

Clock:  We've seen contestants model prizes in the showcases before, but this may be the first time that a contestant has modeled a prize during a PG.  Nakia got her wish to be a Carey Cutie. :-)

My showcase bids:
Portugal--$16,107
Greece--$20,107
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 08:25:22 PM »
Pick-a-Number: This game just does not go well first.

Grand Game: The mixed nuts = loss.

That’s too Much: I’m starting to get to the point where I cannot stand this game anymore. :oldevil: I have never felt this way about a pricing game before. These evil setups are getting out of hand, not to mention, too predictable.

Swap Meet: Why not Clearance Sale, or any of the other MP’s that are just begging to be played?

Master Key: Yeah, Drew did kill all the suspense there.

Clock Game: I like the new rules for this game. I still think they should get rid of one of the bonuses though.

Showcases: Decent showcases.

Decent show today, despite the Clock Game and Master Key issues. The lineup left a lot to be desired though.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 08:43:32 PM »
Standards and Practices should really check out today's playing of Clock Game.  Drew downright cheated, plain and simple, giving way too much suggestion with the intonation in his voice.  If Drew just squeaks out, "lower!" after a bid of $650, who wouldn't think he's implying $649?  Absolutely uncalled for and unprofessional.  If Drew would quit making such a scene and fretting over concentrating on what the contestant's bids are, he might be able to put in the effort to actually handle Clock Game properly.

Plus not only that, but sometimes it gets the contestants flustered and confused.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline TVLubber

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 08:53:40 PM »
Clock Game: I like the new rules for this game. I still think they should get rid of one of the bonuses though.
If so, the other should boost by around $1,000-$2,000, depending on what's removed. Either that or, both should be removed or both should stay.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 10:06:21 PM »
Pick a Number is a bizarre way to start a show off. They probably should have put Swap Meet first and Pick a Number 4th.

Y'know, when is the last time Swap Meet was played first?

Clock Game last!! :-D

Y'know it seems weird to say this but.........Clock Game's on a winning streak!!! Whoulda thunk it?

Even though we got a lineup of games that have been played a "billion" times (it seems) already this year (excluding Key and Swap and to an extent Clock) overall it was a good lineup and the slotting (after Pick a Number) was good. I will say this, at least Grand Game wasn't first again.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 10:26:14 PM »
I just don't even know where to start today.  Pick-a-Number first...That's Too Much! having the right answer at the second spot for the gazillionth time...yet another Showcase bloated with bloated trips...I'm still amazed every day how badly they're capable of screwing this show up.

Pick-a-Number was set up horribly.  Having the last digit missing only works if the game is blatantly set up for a win; this playing had two obvious choices for it, and they were both wrong.

I wonder if that TPIR logo in Swap Meet is a permanent addition.  It looks really odd.

I love Master Key, and I was glad to see it today...but if Drew's gonna keep hosting it wrong (and yes, having a contestant try to unlock the car before the first prize is wrong), they might as well just ask Bob to come in for a couple minutes whenever they see it in the schedule.

Today's lineup would have made far more sense if the whole thing had been reversed -- Clock Game, Master Key, Swap Meet, That's Too Much!, Grand Game, Pick-a-Number.

I think Nakia is the first person I've heard use the term "Beauties" on the show since Bob retired.

Did anyone notice Darryl saying hello to his husband during the second Showcase Showdown?  In a way, it's a shame that that's even noteworthy...maybe a few years down the road, we won't even give things like that a second thought.

If so, the other should boost by around $1,000-$2,000, depending on what's removed. Either that or, both should be removed or both should stay.

Dude, please don't start this again.  Repeating it over and over isn't magically going to make it any less illogical.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 10:29:46 PM »
P-a-N: Blah!!! Awful 1st game choice!!!! 8 was definetly the right choice. Teresa didn't see that.

Grand: The key word is "Deluxe". Why can't others see that?

TTM: All I can say is that I think it's about time they "fold the shack" on this damn game (and Pick-a-freakin' Number) for this year. I sure had enough of it.   :oldevil::headbang:

Swap: The same with this one. Good win, though.

Master: I just hope Victoria's school is still proud of her for her efforts.

Clock: Excellent playing from a great player in Darrell!!!  :-)

Showcases: A very close ending with  two wonderful bids on very lame showcases.

A 2.50-star show.