Author Topic: New Pricing Game Idea: Make the Grade  (Read 1402 times)

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
New Pricing Game Idea: Make the Grade
« on: July 27, 2009, 03:22:31 PM »
Like my previous game, I've thought a lot about this one too, mainly because I go to school:

It is a cash game for $15,000. 5 grocery items are described. The contestant then must guess the price of the grocery items (I know, so far very similar to Check-Out.) Then, the prices of each grocery item will be revealed. The contestant will then earn money based on how close their guess was. Their guess will also be assigned a grade, from A to F, also based on how close it is (hence the game's name.) Here is the distribution:

Guess is within $.20 = $3,000 (A)
Guess is $.21 to $.50 away = $2,250 (B)
Guess is $.51 to $.75 away = $1,500 (C)
Guess is $.76 to $1.00 away = $750 (D)
Guess is further away than $1.00 = $0 (F)

So, if a contestant gets all As, they win $15,000. I picture the reveal being identical to the Phone Home Game, and with a similar set too.

What do you think?

I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: New Pricing Game Idea: Make the Grade
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 03:51:49 PM »
Not bad, but this game would be murder if they decide to play it with five grocery items over $5.00 .
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:53:46 PM »
Well, yeah, obviously. That's why if it was a real game, I would set it up "nicely." Unless, of course, things were over-budget.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:57:11 PM by sjd93 »
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »
To slightly modify this idea, maybe using a percentage within the ARP to grade the contestant would be better.  Examples might be <2% = A, <5% = B, <10% = C, <20% = D, anything else is an F.  Although it would narrow the winning ranges for lower-priced products, you would be able to use more-expensive products more freely.
So long!

Offline TPIRmaniac

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Have your human spayed or neutered.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:58:13 PM »
I like the idea a lot!

However the only thing I have to say if the it wouldn't be very climatic on the last guess. It would be "you have 12,000 dollars going for 3,000 more.

A way of fixing this is by making it so that if you get an F (I'm had to retype this in order to put a comma here... If you know what I mean...), you would flunk out and get nothing.

But I still like the idea.
SummerTIME!

Offline Factory Head Noland

• Walking the Golden Road
  • French fries.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
F (I'm had to retype this in order to put a comma here... If you know what I mean...), you
Ah, yes.

Maybe the amount of cash given out for each "A" should be adjusted based on the prices of the prizes (and thus, the difficulty of the puzzle). Or make it so that the grocery items are over $5, but award a car for a straight A result.
COUNTROUND
Only 2 Spots Left -- PM Me to Register!

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 04:42:56 PM »
However the only thing I have to say if the it wouldn't be very climatic on the last guess. It would be "you have 12,000 dollars going for 3,000 more.

Well, the Phone Home Game had the same issue. You know, "You have $10,200 going for $13,200." Same thing. Not saying it's a great scenario, but it's happened before.

-temptation1979ga