Author Topic: Your thoughts - GSN's "Big Saturday Night" and the two new shows  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Your thoughts - GSN's "Big Saturday Night" and the two new shows
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 10:46:07 AM »
I'm just a huge cynic (but trying to get better about it), so if you guys say these shows are actually good, I must be way off base.

I honestly can't blame you. We've seen the damage that can be done to Sale of the Century, Password, and even The Price is Right. What kind of chance does an entirely new show have?
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 08:18:51 PM »
...and Heidi Bohay (who is pretty good-looking for her age)

I think Heidi Bohay is a very sweet lady, and her clothes and hair are very pretty. As for the shows themselves, I didn't see them last Saturday, so I can't comment until I see them.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 08:20:31 PM by howierules86 »

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 10:07:12 PM »
I saw 'em both when they were re-aired yesterday.

Would saying Cat Deeley is a babe (might have to change my avatar!) and Fred Roggin is an exceptionally good host be acceptable thoughts? ;-)

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 10:55:24 PM »
Yes.  I don't want to find Cat all that attractive...but I do.  I just can't help myself, lol.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline nowhammies11

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The blood of angry men, the dark of ages past
    • The Whammy's Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 11:27:29 PM »
===MY REVIEW OF GSN'S "BIG SATURDAY NIGHT"===

20Q:  I found this actually enjoyable, and it was executed a lot better than I thought it would have been.  Hal Sparks as "Mr. Q" had some good one-liners and comebacks.  Perhaps change the name of the computer from "Mr. Q", but to what, I'm not sure.  $25,000 and an HDTV is pretty nice for GSN, and it's good that they're breaking away from the $5,000 prize.

The Money List: Excellent show, really well-executed.  Fred Roggin is quite good as a serious host.  My one gripe is a lack of sound effect, both positive and negative, for the result of an answer being given for the final list, or any list for that matter.  $50,000 as a top prize, PER PLAY, with the post-S20 Jeopardy! champions rule in place, means a lot of money can be won.

BIG Saturday Night: Really, the less said about this, the better.  Keegan Michael Keys was passable at best.  Blonde #318420370013D(R) was just there, and Ross the Intern brings me to a quote from one of my favourite TV shows;
Quote from: Everybody Loves Raymond
After 15 minutes, I wanted to take the officer's gun, and end my misery.

The gameplay segments were poorly executed, especially the one with Tom Green describing the pictures, with Keegan screaming "NEXT PICTURE! NEXT PICTURE!" every 5 freakin' seconds.  The Whammy interview from the slammer was just horrible.  The "making fun of game shows whilst sitting in a large armchair, whose segment's name I can't remember" segment was awful.  The one thing I did like was the line from the "Game Show News" segment;
Quote from: Keegan
An excited contestant [on The Price Is Right] won a car this week, started jumping up and down, and kneed [Drew] Carey right in the Plinko chips.
YOU CAN NEVER STOP :clipboard:

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 01:33:08 AM »
Yes.  I don't want to find Cat all that attractive...but I do.
Are you like anti-British or something? :P

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »
... Blonde #318420370013D(R) ...

I thought she was #082319882358D(B)... Oh, wait...
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
I was watching 20Q last night, and I recognized some of the sound effects used (think music and the beeps). I noticed they are the same ones from 1 vs 100.
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline RCPlanes59

• Double Showcase Winner
    • YouTube
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 03:11:46 PM »
Games - WIN
The actual BSN part - FAIL

The RC has spoken!
Season 8 (2011-12) CSS 3rd Place

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 07:36:08 PM »
My take:

20Q-Very challenging game with elements only I could've thought of if I was in 4th grade (OK, Not in the gameplay of the actual show, I took the whole "20 Questions" things literally  :roll:). Cat Deeley does get credit as well for her unique hosting skills. "Mr. Q" as much as his one-liners can be a bit unpleasureable is also a neat touch to it all.

The Money List-A magnificent team show of challenging proportions and big money. Fred Roggin is such a BLAST at it!!! It's amazing that he can go well at this (and co-hosting GSN Live) after years as the sportscaster at KNBC in Los Angeles (Is he still with KNBC BTW?).

The mini-games- Ridiculously short games for big money??!! Mmmmmkay.

Don't get me started about the hosts, the skits, and any of the special guests, either.

Offline gshowguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 10:21:45 PM »
I was watching 20Q last night, and I recognized some of the sound effects used (think music and the beeps). I noticed they are the same ones from 1 vs 100.

Considering they're both from Endemol, I'm not surprised. (BTW, Cat is a pretty cute Brit. ;-))

And to edmojautis-- yes, Fred is still with KNBC, according to the station's website. (Speaking of KNBC, I sure wish I had that station back on Dish Network, just for Fred [and Fritz Coleman, too].)