Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/16/2009  (Read 21044 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/16/2009
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »
Well, someone's bound to slip by Stan occasionally.  It was looking pretty good that he'd be stuck in contestants' row the whole show, but no, he had to escape.  And win the showcase showdown.  And win the showcase.  Didn't really make for a very feel good show.

Hey, at least Drew seemed to be taking things seriously today.  The show's always much more enjoyable when that happens, even with a goofball like Timothy in the mix.

I said years ago, back around Season 32, that it was pretty much impossible for any one thing to completely ruin an episode for me.  I've since discovered that Drew acting like a moron is the exception to that rule...but he didn't today, and as a result, Timothy, while certainly annoying, was overshadowed by the good parts of the episode.

By the way, is anyone starting to wonder if these episodes are being taped farther out of order than usual, and not in the order listed on CBS.com?  This is the fourth time recently that Drew's randomly come out wearing those white glasses, and the last two times it's happened, his hosting has been noticeably better than on any of the surrounding shows.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 05:12:47 PM »
Stan makes about 2-5 "mistakes" most of us agree on a year. There are over 1000 contestants every year. Most often they acted differently in the interview than they do on stage.

There's NO WAY that Stan would have missed that wrestling belt. That would probably have given him a clue. Then again, maybe that's why he picked Timothy. Also, I don't believe that Timothy acted any differently waiting in line and talking to Stan than he did on stage. He acted like an ass, plain and simple. There have been many contestnants who I'm sure are different in line and on stage. You wonder why Stan sometimes picks the contestants he does. There are shows where some contestants chosen have no clue what they're doing and others, like Timothy, who should never be picked at all.

By the way, did Rich have a double shot of espresso in between the first and second showcases. He seemed like he was on a caffeine overload! It made him sound like he was on Spring Break after a few beers. It made him seem unprofessional.

Offline WhammyPower788

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
WTF was up with Stacky on waiting for all the picks and in SD1 on the spinoff? 8/10
Probably another one of those "time-saving measures."

There's NO WAY that Stan would have missed that wrestling belt.
Oh, I disagree.  His jacket had a zipper, so he could've zipped it up before he arrived, and then unzipped it when he got to his seat.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:27:22 PM by WhammyPower788 »
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 06:44:36 PM »
I have to admit that the only reason I even watched this episode was to get my own perspective on Timmy since everyone thought he looked like a jerk.  So please allow me to say that I think that he was only in "the moment" and that he took his chance to be a contestant in the way he wanted to.  I personally think there have been contestants that have been far more jerky over the years.  As for the continual "cover up" stuff, I don't know what to say to all of you except wait until you have your gold star and see how you play it out yourself.  Give the guy, and more importantly Stan a break.  The contestant pool has definitely taken a turn for the worse and I assure you that he was probably one of the "stars" of the day if Stan picked him.

Now, for two very important notes:

By far that was Drew's BEST hosting effort, especially for Cover Up.  A most excellent explanation of the game and hosting of that game ever, and that includes letting Timmy do the driving.  He did not get in the way of letting Timmy have his moment and that my friends is what hosting this show is all about. 

Also, as far as those of you who thought Rich poorly hosted SC2, all I can say is wow.  It was a "party" theme for God's sake.  Shouldn't he have turned it up a notch.  AND WOW!  Showcase Rock all the way through without a cue mix?  And prizes that actually reflected a "party" theme? 

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 07:12:44 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention -- it looks like they got rid of those goofy zigzag thingies that have been in Most Expensive for the last couple months.  Thanks goodness.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 07:17:07 PM »
Quote from: FPGWillyT
Give [Timothy], and more importantly Stan a break.  The contestant pool has definitely taken a turn for the worse and I assure you that he was probably one of the "stars" of the day if Stan picked him.

First, yes, give Stan a break.  I certainly agree with that sentiment.  The guy isn't perfect, and every now and then, someone may slip by him.  He certainly deserves credit for how seldom it happens.

And I don't really agree with criticizing Timothy for his Cover Up playing, as well.  Hardly anyone plays the game well, anyway.  He's just among that 99% who don't play it well, and I'm certainly not going to fault him for that.

However, I fully fault Timothy for his behavior on the show.  That was his choice, his doing, and what he chose to show to America.  I can't imagine Joe Plinko watching at home, enjoying his antics.  Dare I say he seemed like an extra over-the-top Deal or No Deal contestant, which isn't really what I want to watch when I watch The Price is Right.  Too many Timothy-like contestants would cause me to stop watching the show faster than any other factor.  I have no reason to believe Stan selecting Timothy was anything other than a simple a mistake on Stan's part, and not the conspiracy theory some others are stating, but I absolutely believe it was a mistake.  Stan isn't perfect, and I don't expect him to be.  Bob and Roger weren't even perfect.  That such contestants are as rare as they are ought to be proof enough that Stan isn't deliberately looking for such contestants.  But everyone makes mistakes, and that's that, really.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »
Was Timothy as bad as that "Joesph" dude from a while back?  He was one of the most obnoxious contestants of all time.  :-x

Joe

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 07:36:42 PM »
Not sure what to say about this episode - Timothy showed his belt off during one of the commercial breaks while he was still in the row, so I would assume he had showed it off to Stan as well.

Also, an overbid was edited out, and one of the contestants had bid over what they should have gone lower than.

Uh, yeah. That's it...for now anyway.  :P

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »
However, I fully fault Timothy for his behavior on the show.  That was his choice, his doing, and what he chose to show to America.  I can't imagine Joe Plinko watching at home, enjoying his antics.

My grandpa's a Joe Plinko-type.  I heard him use the terminology "this guy sucks" with Timothy today.  It was the second time I'd ever heard him say the word.

The first time?  During one of those God-awful Showcase skits earlier in the season.

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »
I don't think Stan should be blamed.  He may not have been that bad in line.

As obnoxious as Timothy was, Joseph from May of 2008 is still the king of all bad contestants.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 07:46:16 PM »
?Switch?:  Easy.

Stacky:  $27,xxx was obviously wrong.  That truck had no options in it.

One-Bid #3:  If Timothy wasn't quite possibly the biggest assberry to be a contestant since Joseph Burleson, I don't know who was.  I can't stand these obnoxious, self-aggrandizing contestants.

Balance:  Thanks a lot, audience!

One-Bid #6:  Girl on trampoline! :P

Cover:  I'm happy that Timothy lost.

SCSD #2:  Neither of the ladies deserved to lose to Timothy.  He should be stripped of his championship belt.

SC #1:  No, Timothy, you're not the champ.  You're the chump.  And I'm pretty sure that $9,999 doesn't even cover the play set.  Man, I would love to use certain words toward Timothy right now.

SC #2:  I'm pretty sure that $24,550 doesn't cover the boat.

My showcase bids:
Costa Rica--$22,107
Room/boat--$36,507

Result:  Why did Costa Rica have to be so cheap today?
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 08:07:20 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention -- it looks like they got rid of those goofy zigzag thingies that have been in Most Expensive for the last couple months.  Thanks goodness.

Did you also notice that Drew didn't do his little dance during Cliffhangers?
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 08:33:45 PM »
FINALLY! The wheel's funk is over. Although I'm not too pleased that Timothy was the benefactor... I didn't like him at all.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Omolara
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 08:39:53 PM »
One thing to mention - Timothy was a radio DJ, so a theory has been thrown around that he was picked so he could promote the show on his program. Not saying that's what happened, but it's interesting to note.

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 08:45:06 PM »
–   Switch?: IMO, this game seems like a good “lead-off” quickie for some reason.
–   Stack the Deck: I knew she lost when she picked the 7 as the second digit in the price of the truck.
–   Most Expensive: I knew it was the table the whole time.
–   Balance Game: I thought she was right when she changed it. Shows what I know.
–   Cliff-Hangers: Nice win.
–   Cover-Up: Timothy was just downright annoying.
–   Showcases: Good showcases. Random boat in #2.

–   O.K. show today. Timothy was just one of those over-the-top contestants.