Author Topic: Would "real time" taping end with Bob Barker?  (Read 9932 times)

Offline logikreader

• Walking the Golden Road
Would "real time" taping end with Bob Barker?
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:31:29 AM »
I'll explain briefly:  Right now, the Price is Right tapes as if it were a live show.  Bob basically has to stay sharp for the entire hour, becuase the crew won't stop every time he makes a mistake (which he almost never does).

But will that continue once we get a new guy in for host?  I'm a little worried that no one will be able to maintain the standard of "taping live".  Other games shows I've been to seem to allow for "flubs", and every time a host makes an error, they just stop tape and reset everything.  I'd hate to see that happen to 'Price'.

So the question is twofold: 1. Would they end "live to tape"?  and 2. Do any other studio audience based shows tape without a large number of stop downs (beside commercial breaks)?

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Would "real time" taping end with Bob Barker?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 06:54:23 AM »
The short answer is "no," I'm sure they would still go more or less live-to-tape, just like nearly all traditional game shows do.  It's mostly a money issue... the shorter the taping time, the less it costs to produce.  They would not hire a host incapable of keeping up with the show's format.

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 06:51:52 PM »
I prefer not being live as it makes the contestant a bit too nervous.  Weather it be TPIR or any other game show, it is better to record it ahead of time.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 07:17:27 PM »

rn wrote:
I prefer not being live as it makes the contestant a bit too nervous...

Take another look... that's not what we were talking about.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Live To Tape
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 02:37:47 AM »
Isn't "live to tape" essentially the same thing as an actual live broadcast, except that the show isn't being broadcast live?

Yes, they have the ability to re-shoot if necessary, as well as to insert relevant overdubs (such as the announcement of the ineligible contestant on 5/8's show), but basically everyone on the show treat it as if it actually were going out live.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline TVFavorites

• Game Show Favorites
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 01:29:36 PM »
I am betting the TPiR Live shows are being done not just to capitalize on the franchise. They are being used as a "training ground" for potential new hosts to take over the CBS show when Bob leaves.  With all the new hosts, they can pick the best one (using their experience with TPiR Live as the audition).

How many years has TPiR Live been going now?  I'm pretty sure some of the hosts that have been doing it since the beginning have the format down pretty well now to do the real show with few mistakes.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 01:37:59 AM »

TV Favorites wrote:
I am betting the TPiR Live shows are being done not just to capitalize on the franchise . . .

Er, that's not exactly what this thread is about, either.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline TVFavorites

• Game Show Favorites
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 09:32:25 PM »
The whole point is that it is possible that with these other hosts on the Live Shows, that one of them could step into the real show with enough experience hosting that they still could do the show in real time.

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 04:21:12 AM »
In my opinion, it's not so much a host's name or their resume that concerns me, it's the ability to carry the show on successfully, although it should remain live to tape...

I have frequently said that the most vital ingredient to being successful on a show of this type is not how well you know the format, not how well you know the rules to the game(s), but how you interact with the contestants and make that special magic, in turn making us enjoy seeing the contestants and enjoy seeing them win, lose or whatnot.  As long as we have hosts to get us the great, memorable moments that successful hosts have given us, then the tradition of game shows will go on.

Granted, my opinion does not have much to do with live to tape other than a mere mention of it, but it's what was on my mind when I read this thread.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 10:45:43 PM »
I thin kthe only change would be taping three episodes per day to save costs.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 08:05:54 PM »

garffreak wrote:
I thin kthe only change would be taping three episodes per day to save costs.

I doubt that.  Remember, it's not just a matter of the host, it's also the crew.  Each show has to be rehearsed before the audience is inside.  That would be six hours of gaming and staging for the crew, and doesn't take into account the overage when they stop-down.  There's also the fact that it takes time to screen, seat, and then remove the audiences.  (And I haven't even mentioned union breaks... okay, I just did.)  That kind of taping schedule would either start early in the morning or last well into the evening.

I can see a lot more two-a-days in a post-Bob era, but three is really pushing it to the limit.