Author Topic: New-ish Set  (Read 65211 times)

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: New-ish Set
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 01:22:57 PM »
This sounds awesome...can't wait!
Seconded. :) These sounds like neat modern updates.

Offline TYaki

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 01:27:38 PM »
I am not the least bit excited about this. The contestants row podiums, from the pic, look like they'll have the same look to them - I probably won't notice them that much. As for screwing up the turntable area - NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do they have to tamper with stuff like that!?

It's called progress, PF14.

I remember when Wheel changed their readouts to LCD.  First reaction was, "You've got to be kidding me."  Then you grow used to it.  Same applies with Jeopardy!

Agreed with gsf87 - you might want to calm down a bit - it'll save you some undue stress.

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »
I'm going to stick with my original opinion and wait until I actually see this to pass judgment.

I still don't think we have anything to be worried about. ;-)

Tyler
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »
I believe Marc initially reported they would be LED, but I think he meant LCD.

LED, Eggcrage, LCD?  I never claimed to be the expert!  Sorry for the confusion.

Marc

Offline noobslayer88

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 01:50:59 PM »
I'm not worried. CR seems to look very similar to its appearance from the Barker Era, which is nice, and as long as the turntable still turns and is used for games, I'm not complaining. I'm looking forward to anything Drew posts on Twitter, his blog, or wherever.
Noobslayer88: a proud member of the "For Shiggles QSW" club. (6/12/09)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 01:51:13 PM »
I have a feeling that everything is gonna look all WEIRD now.

Speaking of which, why in the world is a monitor called "door 4" and why in the world are they calling the turntable area "door 5". These changes sound confusing more than anything.

I will say that this will definitely have the purists up in arms.

Goldroad, there is nothing wrong with being a purist. In fact i'm glad to be able to call myself a "purist." No shame in that.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 01:51:55 PM »
Couple points that I think should be noted:

- LCD/LED monitors in the Row is a change that I'm surprised took this long to change.  Those lighted screens have looked dimmer and seemed to take longer to appear, as well as have looked less and less crisp since inception in 1975.  It would also not surprise me if with these monitors you see ZERO change.  The only way we'd know they are monitors is because Marc and John posted.

- A Door 0/5 past the Turntable is a brilliant idea, and probably will be used a ton for 1/2 games so there is not a tape stop between acts (assuming it's like I think it would be, it would be able to conceal Switch/ORP/DP/SBS/etc easily and allow easy use of the whole stage.  And like someone said before, much of that area is now just backdrop dead space anyway and isn't really used.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »
Speaking of which, why in the world is a monitor called "door 4"
Because it serves the same purpose as the original three doors, to show a prize. (Although calling it "the screen" would work just as well.)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 01:53:06 PM »
Goldroad, there is nothing wrong with being a purist. In fact i'm glad to be able to call myself a "purist." No shame in that.

I didn't mean that in a negative connotation, sorry that you took it that way.  What I mean to say is that I think a large number of members here will not like that, not to laugh in the face of the community, but as a "I wouldn't be surprised if..." thing.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
I didn't mean that in a negative connotation, sorry that you took it that way.  What I mean to say is that I think a large number of members here will not like that, not to laugh in the face of the community, but as a "I wouldn't be surprised if..." thing.

I didn't, Goldroad, I just wanted to say I was proud to call myself a "purist" though some changes i'm fine with--though not wholesale. Sorry to have given the impression I took it in a negative way.

Offline hyhybt

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »
What would be "Door 4" then?
Well, Monty Hall wasn't using it anymore...

(For those who have trouble telling, that's a joke!)

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 02:03:44 PM »
See pic above

Uh oh. They'll have to get rid of that sportstype display at the top. It's much too dated. ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:15:17 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 02:14:11 PM »
These changes, no matter how small or large they are to become, should certainly be no surprise to any loyal friend and true of the show since before Barker's retirement.  Most of us would be of the opinion that there is no way these changes for the new season will help the show increase it's ratings or draw any bigger fan base.  All these events are expected from individuals in charge who have no prior knowledge of the workings of the show.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »
Door # 4 on LMAD excited me so much when I used to see it on the show lol.

This is an interesting twist and should be interesting to see what happens when the new season debuts.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 02:18:46 PM »
Most of us would be of the opinion that there is no way these changes for the new season will help the show increase it's ratings or draw any bigger fan base.  All these events are expected from individuals in charge who have no prior knowledge of the workings of the show.

Who said these changes are in the interest of ratings? Sounds to me like they want another place they can play games/reveal prizes. Maybe with widescreen HD, we can get a shot of the game and the prize at the same time if they're both on the turntable.

Looks like my prediction is ringing true... albeit, a bit late.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.