30 (25.2%)
Jack Wagner cameos
48 (40.3%)
Hard pricing game setups
23 (19.3%)
Showcase exacta controversy
18 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Author Topic: Worst part of Season 37  (Read 12621 times)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Worst part of Season 37
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2009, 06:21:55 PM »
CBS isn't going to "take back" the title from Studio 33.  Not only would that just be senseless, it would be downright stupid to disrespect a television legend by doing that.  Remember, CBS had nothing to do with the removal of "Barkers Markers" or "Barker's Bargain Bar".

What about when the ending line changed from "A Mark Goodson Television Production" to "A FremantleMedia Production?" It's only a matter of time before they eliminate even further references to Bob Barker on the show.

Offline whirlwood74

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2009, 06:25:31 PM »
Can't we get back on topic?  I voted for the Showcase Exacta controversy, mainly because I found it absolutely unprofessional the way he read the Showcase bid of $23,743.  If you go back to the moment the contestant made the bid, Drew made this snide comment:  "Wow, that's a very exact bid."  After reading the ARP, Drew took the wind out of everyone's sails, as they had to investigate.

When Bob hosted the show, he was always amazed at contestants who remembered certain products, such as Michael's $2,148 bid on a motor scooter from 2003, or Ruphina's $449 bid on 30 sq. ft. of carpeting from 1975.  When Drew hosts the show, it's almost a given that people who watch every day (i.e. Loyal Friends and True) are discouraged from ever setting foot in the 'House that Bob Built'.

I watch TPiR whenever I can, but when someone nails a Showcase bid on the nose, Drew should at least acknowledge that it was a 'historic moment'.  To Drew's credit, he did mention that it didn't happen since 1972 or 1973 (although it probably was on Dennis James' watch--with the $2,200 bid).  As I finish putting in my '95 cents' worth, Drew's reveal should have been more suspenseful and upbeat.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2009, 06:29:27 PM »
 When Drew hosts the show, it's almost a given that people who watch every day (i.e. Loyal Friends and True) are discouraged from ever setting foot in the 'House that Bob Built'.

And in place of them are these moronic contestants. I found myself yelling at my television set more often this season than last season. If they want to pick contestants, go for those who have at least seen the show enough to know what's going on (Remember Alicia who wiped out in Golden Road?).

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2009, 06:31:11 PM »
When Bob hosted the show, he was always amazed at contestants who remembered certain products, such as Michael's $2,148 bid on a motor scooter from 2003, or Ruphina's $449 bid on 30 sq. ft. of carpeting from 1975.  When Drew hosts the show, it's almost a given that people who watch every day (i.e. Loyal Friends and True) are discouraged from ever setting foot in the 'House that Bob Built'. When someone nails a Showcase bid on the nose, Drew should at least acknowledge that it was a 'historic moment'.  To Drew's credit, he did mention that it didn't happen since 1972 or 1973 (although it probably was on Dennis James' watch--with the $2,200 bid).  As I finish putting in my '95 cents' worth, Drew's reveal should have been more suspenseful and upbeat.
You are exactly right. I can guarantee that if Bob were still hosting right now, he would have been very excited about the showcase exacta. Even if I was the host myself, I would get very excited about a showcase exacta.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 06:33:59 PM by leafsfan17 »
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline Fwakes

• In Contestant's Row
    • Dumbledore's Hogwarts
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2009, 07:46:06 PM »
It would certainly be Fremantle's prerogative if they wanted to take it out of the opening, though.

That's true. Let's not give them any ideas.

Offline SamtheBravesFan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2009, 11:19:53 PM »
It would certainly be Fremantle's prerogative if they wanted to take it out of the opening, though.

What do they gain from it?  An ego trip that says "This is our show now"?