Author Topic: One Away Questions?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
One Away Questions?
« on: September 24, 2006, 01:40:47 AM »
Guys,

Who were the gentlemen and who are the ladies who do the technical set ups and horns for numbers correct in One Away?

Also, when were gentlemen replaced with ladies as techs during this game?  I am sure that Roger and Kathy assist, but are there more people involved who do the sound effects for this game?

Joe

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: One Away Questions?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 10:58:36 AM »

MrPlinko wrote:
Guys,

Who were the gentlemen and who are the ladies who do the technical set ups and horns for numbers correct in One Away?

Also, when were gentlemen replaced with ladies as techs during this game?  I am sure that Roger and Kathy assist, but are there more people involved who do the sound effects for this game?

Joe

As per our bee-u-ti-ful FAQ:

"The people that the contestant must ask for horns changed from “gentlemen” to “ladies” early in 1995 (possibly on March 8). "

I'd assume that's when the lady that is the SFX person now took over.  She's on a clip from one of the CBS at 75 specials...her name is escaping me right now.

EDIT: Found the clip here..
http://tpir.tv/priceless/12/priceless12.htm ... located at the start of the bordered table.

And that doesn't add up though...her name is Denise Palm Stones, and is stated as being the SFX person for 14 years (clip was from season 30)...so I guess I don't truely know for sure why.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 12:28:33 PM »
Recently, there have been two different sound effects operators, but they're both ladies, so no matter who's doing it, it's correct to say, "Ladies, do I have at least one number right?"

Actually, they're training a new person on sound effects right now, but she's also a lady, so there will be no change in the line.

(The sound effects operator is not technically an employee of Price or Fremantle, so whoever is doing it that day is dependent on however the unions determine such things.)

Specifically, the line, "Ladies, do I have at least one number right?" refers to two ladies -- whichever woman is on sound effects that day, and the woman on the Price staff who is telling the sound effects operator whether or not to sound the horn.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 12:33:44 PM »

MSTieScott wrote:

(The sound effects operator is not technically an employee of Price or Fremantle, so whoever is doing it that day is dependent on however the unions determine such things.)

Okay, I'll ask: why is that position determined by a union-based employment while other jobs are hired by CBS staffers?
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 12:45:54 PM »

The Big Wheel wrote:

MSTieScott wrote:

Okay, I'll ask: why is that position determined by a union-based employment while other jobs are hired by CBS staffers?

Most of the CBS technical crew are union members.  That position, if it isn't hired by Price or Fremantle, is a CBS tech position, but it also would be a union position.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 02:00:30 PM »

CBSpromoman wrote:

Most of the CBS technical crew are union members.  That position, if it isn't hired by Price or Fremantle, is a CBS tech position, but it also would be a union position.

That makes sense, thanks Patrick.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!