Author Topic: New 1972 info!  (Read 54382 times)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: New 1972 info!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 09:12:21 AM »
This is awesome information. Thanks. Wow,

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 11:49:04 AM »
Ok...just from my quick calculations and figurings...here's kind of a possibility for the tape/air order situation in the first few episodes.

If you place the shows in order of slate number, you get the following:

#0011D     - Any/Bonus/Double
#0012D     - Grocery/Bullseye/Double
#0013D     - Any/Bonus/Double (the unaired one)
#0013D (R) - Grocery/Bullseye/Double
#0014D     - Any/Bonus/Double
#0015D     - Grocery/Bullsye/Double

Now we all know that wasn't the taping order...and #0013D (R) was the end of the week/start of the next week

NOW, if you re-arrange the order by the order the shows were taped, you get something really really interesting...

Tape 1 - Any/Bonus/Double - 0011D
Tape 2 - Any/Bonus/Double - 0013D (unaired)
Tape 3 - Any/Bonus/Double - 0014D
Tape 4 - Grocery/Bullseye/Double - 0012D
Tape 5 - Grocery/Bullseye/Double - 0015D
Tape 6 - Grocery/Bullseye/Double - 0013D (R)

Apparently, they wanted to tape shows with the same games together, then, when the bad contestant came up, they stuck it at the end of the taping set, and so they didn't have to truck out the other games, they gave it the Grocery/Bullseye/Double lineup.

Hopefully this makes sense to people.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Joe_Mello

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 12:02:06 PM »
Actually, it does.  Maybe it's me but the Dennis James episodes seemed to follow a similar pattern where a series of episodes would feature the same three games.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 12:29:24 PM »
Some more information about the original 72 shows:

- 0013D-R was indeed a replacement show.  0013D was taped and it was later found that one of the contestants was the common-law wife of one of the cameramen working on the show at the time and was deemed ineligible.  It is believed that the other contestants on 0013D were given their prizes but the show was permanantly shelved.

0013D-R was taped and added in its place.

- Double Bullseye:  Here's the story on that.  The name "Bullseye" (Not Bullseye I) was still the original name of the [1 player] game.  It was never won on the daytime show.  So, in order to "force" a win, the Producers decided to use it on the nighttime show and call it "Double Bullseye" and guarantee a winner.  Obviously it worked, and it migrated onto the daytime show.  I currently do not know exactly how many times it was played on the daytime show, but I hope to have that information in the very near future.

In fact, Marc & I should be able to provide a much more clear picture on the original Season and maybe a bit more shortly.

Next on the list - the Season 22 Premiere.  Screencaps anyone?  :-P
John

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 12:52:40 PM »
I rememer Bob commenting during an episode in the eighties that they "once had to throw out an entire show just because a contesant *knew* one of the cameramen. Of course, that camerman *knew* half the girls in the San Fernando valley..."
I paraphrased a lot there, but I always thought Bob made that story up.

Offline goodboy16

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 03:11:49 PM »
Wouldn't you just love  to get your hands on that unaired third episode? Up until now, I had no idea that there were any episodes that never made it to air on CBS. Are there any others that were permanently shelved?

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 01:30:59 AM »
ClockGameJohn wrote:
So, in order to "force" a win, the Producers decided to use it on the nighttime show and call it "Double Bullseye" and guarantee a winner.

So Double Bullseye actually premiered on the Dennis James nighttime show?  Incredible!  I wonder if we will ever see clips/screen shots of that first playing!

SteveGavazzi wrote:
It debuted on September 19, on the 12th episode. I can also confirm that the playing of Double Bullseye that reran on GSN was not its debut; the first playing offered a $2,494 Chevy Vega and ended after six guesses.

Just to clarify, this $2,494 Chevy Vega playing is referring to the first DAYTIME appearance of the game, not its first overall appearance (the NIGHTTIME one), correct?

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 05:11:44 AM »

goodboy16 wrote:
Wouldn't you just love  to get your hands on that unaired third episode? Up until now, I had no idea that there were any episodes that never made it to air on CBS. Are there any others that were permanently shelved?

I'm guessing there is, but very few.

Do permanently shelved episode(s) count towards the actual episode total? (6418 as of 9/26/06)

I would love to see that unaired episode from 1972 but I doubt Fremantle would allow it.

BTW, I love the "Double Bullseye" name.

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 10:23:29 AM »
That is some interesting information you got there. I'm a bit surprised they wouldn't air the episode with the ineligible contestant. Granted it was week 1, but I don't really see the harm in airing it myself (with the disclaimer of course).

Offline goodboy16

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 02:03:45 PM »

SteveGavazzi wrote:

We've always known that the first week's episodes were taped out of order; in fact, we now know that that order was 1, original 3, 4, 2, 5, and then replacement 3 as the second taping of the second week (the first taping was episode 7).  What we didn't know was that they were also aired in a different wrong order -- 1, 5, 2, 4, 3.
[font]

Wow! So you mean that the Boo-Boo episode was actually aired on Tuesday 9/5/72 rather than Friday 9/8/72?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 08:52:06 PM »
goodboy16 wrote:

SteveGavazzi wrote:

We've always known that the first week's episodes were taped out of order; in fact, we now know that that order was 1, original 3, 4, 2, 5, and then replacement 3 as the second taping of the second week (the first taping was episode 7).  What we didn't know was that they were also aired in a different wrong order -- 1, 5, 2, 4, 3.

Wow! So you mean that the Boo-Boo episode was actually aired on Tuesday 9/5/72 rather than Friday 9/8/72?

Yes, but that doesn't mean it isn't the 9/8/72 episode, just like the Season 30 premiere is still really the 9/17/01 episode.[/font][/size]
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Heidi

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 08:43:31 AM »
I'm always interested in reading new information about Price's history.  We always knew that the third episode aired out of order because of the normal showcase podiums being used, but we never knew the real reason until now.  Thanks for the info.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 10:36:42 AM »
Heidi wrote:
We always knew that the third episode aired out of order because of the normal showcase podiums being used

No we didn't.  We'd always assumed that it did air in order, on September 6, 1972.  Its taping order is irrelevent.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2006, 05:34:37 PM »
Wow, this stuff is SERIOUSLY weird!  This just woke up my day.

So, was it against CBS policy to air the 0013D show or was it just their (foolish) choice?  

Now about GSN Clock Game show:

I have a feeling that this show wasn't Clock Game's debut because Bob doesn't mention anything about a new pricing game, just that they'll be playing your "favorite pricing games".  Would everyone know all the games and have their favorites picked out in only a week?

Offline Hades1981

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2006, 10:53:58 AM »
I'd be inclined to agree with you OldPrice75. It's possible that the Clock Game premiere show had a fur coat, hence GSN never showed it. When GSN had TPIR I noticed a gap in shows particularly from fall 1977 and fall 1980. Again it is possible that these shows had fur coats in them.