Poll

Is it time to update the number of posts needed to get to a new level?

Yes
6 (35.3%)
No
11 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Ranking Updates?  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • 18-29 and female? Target demographic GET!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
Ranking Updates?
« on: July 20, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »
I notice a great number of people have been here for a long time, and have amassed well over 1,000 posts. Just look at the immortal Gavazzi, with over 11,000 posts. I realize rank doesn't matter here as much as other sites. However, I've been thinking for a while that we might need to update the system for posts required to move to the next rank, due to the number of people well beyonf what is required of a "double showcase winner" ranking. After all, this is something somewhat fun to look on, when seeing a poster's name, if nothing else.

Revised Rank System (personal):

0-249 Posts: Outside in Line
250-499 Posts: In the Audience
500-999 Posts: In Contestant's Row:
1,000-2,499 Posts: Walking down the Golden Road
2,500-4,999 Posts: Taking A Bonus Spin
5,000-9,999 Posts: Double Showcase Winner
10,000+ Posts: Exactaville (??? miles from Weedville, PA)

Do you agree it is time for a revamped system? Why (not)? If so, what should the ranking system be? If not, why not?
“Each mistake teaches you something new about yourself. There is no failure, remember, except in no longer trying. It is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Chris Bradford, The Way of the Sword

---

“It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt, Looking Forward

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Ranking Updates?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 08:07:52 PM »
I'd say scrap it altogether*.  The rating system is one thing that promotes an increase in stupid posts/PJTP just so a user can get to the next level.

Posts should always be based on quality, not quantity.

*Or make it 0 posts = inactive, >=1 is something else
So long!

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 05:32:05 PM »
Nah, either keep it as is, scrap it altogether or replace it with a thumbs up / thumbs down rating system.   Changing the number of posts will inevitably result in people being "demoted" which tends to not feel very good.   

It is kind of cool though to know who's been on the show, so keep the spinning stars! 

To channel  :clipboard:, we're a "nice" website, right?
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 05:33:46 AM »
*Or make it 0 posts = inactive, >=1 is something else

But since you wouldn't see any posts from the 0 post people, everyone would see the "something else" :P

When I was promoted to admin at another forum, I revamped the ranking system. Nobody noticed or if they did they didn't say anything.