Author Topic: October 4, 1988: Master Key  (Read 1938 times)

Online goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
October 4, 1988: Master Key
« on: June 12, 2009, 09:01:37 AM »
The day after the final playing of Add 'em Up and three before Janice's camera incident, this clip shows up of someone playing Master Key.  This was the first playing of the game in Season 17.  Fans of old-school cues will be rejoicing here; there are several now-retired ones heard in this clip.

Credit goes to YouTubeuser masonmackenna

"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SolairWright

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: October 4, 1988: Master Key
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »
This was a painful playing of Master Key, despite he got two of the small prizes right. I'd thought the contestant, a member in the US Navy would win at least the truck, but he only walked away with the Clock. Roger is so evil with the key placements sometimes. (Though, it'd be no fun with the keys in the same place every time, now would it? :P) What's more interesting to hear is the Plagued Banana (my name for the 1983-1992 version of the Big Banana) instead of the typical truck/van cue despite a truck being offered. It's interesting it's a Toyota Truck, but it's unnamed and the backdrop looked a bit kooky in my opinion.

And the "sell the range" comment cracked me up. Which is why I miss Bob Barker's quirky comments after some IUFBs. (i.e. certain bids - see the $50,000 bid in Season 31)
"A friend is one who has the same enemies as you have." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »
I love the cues used for the range and the second small prize, although they admittedly would both sound a little out of date today.
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Online goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »
It's interesting it's a Toyota Truck, but it's unnamed...

In other markets around the world, it was known as the "Toyota Hilux" (it still is known by that to this date) and that was used in the US until 1976 until it was called "Pickup" probably because it was at the time, Toyota's only pickup truck offering.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."