Author Topic: Reading the wrong card  (Read 7240 times)

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Reading the wrong card
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 11:01:58 PM »
I believe Rich had his own "barbecue and a new car" moment in I think season 37, maybe season 38.

He read the prize for the following pricing game during a one-bid during a season 37 episode when I was in the audience.  The error was completely edited out of the episode, however you can see the audience (and Drew) laughing about the incident during the one-bid.  There's a good chance this happens far more often than we know.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline kesqchris

• Outside in Line
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »
In the last taping I attended in December 2015, George also read a contestant's name who was already in contestant's row. The whole audience was laughing especially after he repeated the same name multiple times and had no idea. However they stopped tape and reshot instead of leaving it in of course. George wasn't in a great mood that day which sullied the moment a bit.

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 01:47:14 PM »
I actually just thought of another one that's very similar to this years Oscar's "Lala Land/Moonlight" incident and Steve Harvey's Miss Universe incident last year. I think it was in 2008 or so, early in Drew Carey's run. They were playing Double Prices. What could possibly go wrong with that game, right? Well, as you know, usually when the contestant picks the price, the model removes the one that they DIDN'T pick, and so if the chosen price matches the ARP, the contestant wins. This time, the model removed the one the contestant DID pick, and I don't think Drew even knew it. Since the ARP matched the one still remaining, they considered a win. I believe this was the 6th PG, because the SCSD was right after it, and Drew explained what happened and they even showed a clip of what happened. I'm pretty sure they still decided to give her the prize.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »
Oh wow, I totally forgot about that. I remember Drew getting a lot of flak for it on here for messing up the simplest game on the show.

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 05:15:13 PM »
Not quite reading the wrong card, but picking boring contestants:   

I remember attending a taping sometime in the late 1990s,  as a guest watching from backstage. It was sort of a humdrum show.  As I was getting ready to leave, I remember overhearing Bob in the green room not quite admonishing but definitely expressing his displeasure to Phil Wayne about the lousy group of contestants he picked for the day. "For the life of me, Phil, I couldn't work with a single one of them" or something along those lines.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 11:45:33 PM »
In the last taping I attended in December 2015, George also read a contestant's name who was already in contestant's row. The whole audience was laughing especially after he repeated the same name multiple times and had no idea. However they stopped tape and reshot instead of leaving it in of course. George wasn't in a great mood that day which sullied the moment a bit.
Were they buzzing George like they did Rich? It would've been very funny if that had made it on air, particularly because George is much better suited to Drew's style than Rich ever was.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 12:24:12 AM »
Oh wow, I totally forgot about that. I remember Drew getting a lot of flak for it on here for messing up the simplest game on the show.

Then his Make Your Mark error should also qualify. It's why the game got retired.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
Not quite reading the wrong card, but picking boring contestants:   

How does this relate to the topic?
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Online WhammyPower788

• I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »
Wrong card?  How about forgetting the card?
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 12:40:37 PM »
I recall an incident long ago where instead of reading the one bid prize copy, Rod read "It's a brand new car." but he said it in a matter-of-fact tone of voice, then all realized he had goofed and laughter ensued.

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 01:50:26 PM »
Bob would then say "Rod, would you like a glass of water? Or a glass of something?"