Author Topic: Bob Barker to WWE?...No, seriously.  (Read 52316 times)

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Bob Barker to WWE?...No, seriously.
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2009, 09:43:49 PM »
Tell that to Darrin Drozdov, who 10 years later is still in a wheelchair because D'Lo Brown botched a powerbomb.

And as I mentioned earlier, tell that to Bret Hart, who's brother DIED from an in-ring accident in 1999.
I support The Price is Right.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2009, 11:38:29 PM »
Tell that to Darrin Drozdov, who 10 years later is still in a wheelchair because D'Lo Brown botched a powerbomb.

A botched portion of what was nonetheless a scripted match.

And as I mentioned earlier, tell that to Bret Hart, who's brother DIED from an in-ring accident in 1999.

And a botched portion of something that wasn't even part of the match and was even more blatantly staged.  For cryin' out loud, Owen Hart fell out of the ceiling.  That is not a situation that is even able to arise in most athletic exhibitions.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2009, 08:09:02 AM »
The problem is the word "fake"

Is it scripted, yes

Is what they do athletic and dangerous, yes

Is it "fake", I guess that depends on if you are talking about the result of the match or the athletic stunts that they preform.

Heck, they don't even call themselves wrestlers anymore, they are now sports entertainers.

Just stop using the word "fake", problem resolved....
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2009, 07:28:09 PM »
The problem is the word "fake"

Is it scripted, yes

Is what they do athletic and dangerous, yes

Is it "fake", I guess that depends on if you are talking about the result of the match or the athletic stunts that they preform.

Heck, they don't even call themselves wrestlers anymore, they are now sports entertainers.

Just stop using the word "fake", problem resolved....

Problem is, it's not inaccurate, as it applies to WWE as "wrestling."   If you're using "Sports Entertainment" as the moniker, then, yes, it's less inaccurate.    It is, however, stil thl WWE (World WrestlingEntertainment), not the WSE.   It's even spelled out on their website... :rollold:

To compare what you just suggested to another ongoing debate around here, it would be kind of like the following exchange:

"Drew's hosting is bad!"

"No it isn't."

"Yes it is!"

"Well, just stop saying it is.  He's getting better!"

Now, while I'm not of that persuasion, how many times has something like that been hashed out around here?  Things are what they are, like them or not.  If you don't like what I call it (which is based on a dictionary definition, see my prior post) then that's cool.  We can still be friends...

Sticks and stones, guys...

(Quoting fixed.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 08:22:11 PM by temptation1979ga »
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2009, 12:43:43 PM »
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2009, 02:11:05 PM »
My eyes! It burns!

Offline TheGoldenArcher

• In the Audience
  • Your 2009 Stanley Cup Champions
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2009, 01:22:09 AM »
Bob told the tube top story yet again.   ::)  At least he appears to be enjoying himself for this little... whatever you want to call what he's doing.  lol

I think he's getting a kick out of being a parody of his former self. I mean, he took himself so seriously for so many years!

I thought the show was great. But you know, pro wrestling is just so predictable. When Chris Jehricho got in is face in the opening segment, I turned to my buddy and told him that before the night was over, he was going to knock someone out a la Happy Gilmore.  :lol:
Still waiting to make the pilgrimage....

Offline chad1m

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »
Tonight, the WWE Slammy Awards were held honoring "excellence" in the company throughout 2009. One of the awards presented was for Best Guest Host. Against competition from nominees Shaquille O'Neal, Seth Green and Ozzy & Sharon Osbourne, Barker won the award and accepted via a pre-taped message shown with him standing with the award in front of his home. So, it seems that those within WWE feel that Barker's appearance was the best one they've had so far.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2009, 11:33:35 AM »
I would be curious if Barker actually gets a statue. It was mentioned in an interview once, with Chris Jehricho ironically, that the Slammy award was merely a prop, and they only had two or three on hand for television purposes. Jehricho said that he had asked the prop department for one of the statues as a soveigner, and was told no because a limited few only existed.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
I would be curious if Barker actually gets a statue. It was mentioned in an interview once, with Chris Jehricho ironically, that the Slammy award was merely a prop, and they only had two or three on hand for television purposes. Jehricho said that he had asked the prop department for one of the statues as a soveigner, and was told no because a limited few only existed.

They probably had only one initially, and make a few more when Owen Hart had that "2 time Slammy Award Winner" gimmick.

By the way, Off_trak, it's "souvenir"!!

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2009, 11:45:18 AM »
They probably had only one initially, and make a few more when Owen Hart had that "2 time Slammy Award Winner" gimmick.

By the way, Off_trak, it's "souvenir"!!

yes, I thought I was spelling it wrong.. although Firefox didn't correct me as it usually does, and I was too lazy to look it up  :oops:
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline TPIR1996

• In the Audience
  • TPIR: EPIC WIN!!
« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2009, 05:49:23 PM »
BB doin WWE...  :-o

Offline luvgoldbond

• Outside in Line
  • Angles among us....
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2010, 12:15:28 AM »
I hope he neutered Santino while he was there.
LNL

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »
I know it's been 7 years since this was posted but....seeing as this wasn't posted anywhere else and it relates to this thread....thought I'd mention it. Bob Barker did a podcast via telephone with Chris Jericho just recently on Chris's Talk is Jericho show, I discovered it just the other night. Take a listen to it here if you like, it was quite good actually, Bob told a few different stories (including Yolanda lol) some of which were actually a bit different from ones told in the past..and talked a little of course about his experience doing Raw as well in 09. Really neat find, his interview starts at 15:22 if you wanna skip directly to it.

http://www.podcastone.com/embed?progID=593&pid=1720927

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #194 on: March 30, 2017, 06:39:04 PM »
Was a pretty good interview.    Chris and Bob had some great banter about his Raw appearance.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.