Author Topic: Michael Vick signs with Philadelphia Eagles  (Read 8692 times)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
Re: Michael Vick signs with Philadelphia Eagles
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 09:14:17 AM »
I truly believe that Michael is sincere and deserves a second chance. Tony Dungy seems to agree...and so do the Eagles. Here's hoping to Vick excelling this year!

Todd is exactly right.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 09:23:31 AM »
Oy vey. Here's another Vick hater. As I said earlier. Vick deserves a second chance. Granted. What he did was wrong and despicable. But he has paid he's debt to society. Is Nike going to sign him back? Probably not. But does he deserve a second chance? Absolutely! This is a nation where we give everyone a second chance. If you did something wrong, would you want a second chance? Don't you think that Michael Vick deserves that same right?

I'll give him a second chance when another criminal not making millions of dollars a year before incarceration gets a real second chance.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 09:34:23 AM »
Amen, jzion12345, amen.  There actually isn't a "right" to regain past employment (or something very comparable) status.  He got that, and so be it.  As Phil Sheridan in today's Philadelphia Inquirer points out quite rightly, the public has a right to remind him every day of the loathsome things he did.  He gets his second chance, but those who object to the Eagles being the organization to give it to him can show their disgust with that decision and voice their displeasure, hopefully quite loudly. 

I'm holding out hope there's a special place in the afterlife where the dogs he mutilated and tortured use Vick as a chew toy for all eternity.  Seems about right as payback for the animals he didn't give a second chance to.

Offline cornelius

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 10:04:09 AM »
Amen, jzion12345, amen.  There actually isn't a "right" to regain past employment (or something very comparable) status.  He got that, and so be it.  As Phil Sheridan in today's Philadelphia Inquirer points out quite rightly, the public has a right to remind him every day of the loathsome things he did.  He gets his second chance, but those who object to the Eagles being the organization to give it to him can show their disgust with that decision and voice their displeasure, hopefully quite loudly. 

I'm holding out hope there's a special place in the afterlife where the dogs he mutilated and tortured use Vick as a chew toy for all eternity.  Seems about right as payback for the animals he didn't give a second chance to.

Now that's mean. You're making it sound like you want him to have bad luck. We all have the freedom of speech. I'm just saying that Michael Vick deserves a second chance. I hope so too that he would change after serving time in prison. Vick was raised in a neighborhood that did dogfighting as a sport. As I said, what he did was wrong. As he told 60 Minutes he cried when he was in prison. To me, he has changed. Let's at least give him th opportunity to prove that he has changed. If he hasn't then yes, put him back in jail. But give him the opportunity to prove it.
Remember. Help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutured!

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »
Vick was raised in a neighborhood that did dogfighting as a sport.

I believe what Vick did was a terrible thing, and I was kind of surprised he was able to sign with a team so quickly. But I don't care either way about that (signing with a team, I mean). What does bother me is the "Dogfighting is part of the culture he grew up around" excuse. Baloney. That might be true that he did grow up in such a "neighborhood," but he knew what he was doing was against the law, not to mention downright brutal and heartless.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:49:07 AM by temptation1979ga »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 10:51:14 AM »
If by 'bad luck,' you mean I'm hoping he's not successful, then yes, I'd say that's a fair statement.  I mean it in the literal sense, not that anyone else lower themselves to the level of engaging in criminal behavior against him under the "wink wink" definition of bad luck (a la Tonya Harding's way of causing an opponent to experience bad luck.)  No one should lower themselves to Vick's level.  But do I want him to win?  Nope.  Do I want the Eagles to win with him on the roster?  Nope. 

It's all well and good if he has changed, but whether or not that has happened is an entirely separate issue from playing football (or any career).  One of the things I try to teach my kids is that there are many different consequences for your actions, and though you may be truly, sincerely sorry for doing something 'wrong,' that doesn't negate those consequences.   Take, for just one example, being caught in a lie.  There may be an initial punishment for the action itself, say grounding or losing a particular privelege.  When that stated punishment is over, it's over--but they still have to accept that their word may not be taken at face value for a while even when they're not serving out their direct punishment any longer.   They don't just get to wipe it all away with a (crocodile) tear and an "I'm sorry."   Words are cheap; let's see the actions to back them up.  In the meantime, the fans who feel character does count can tell the Eagles where they can stick it.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:53:40 AM by imhomerjay »

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »
Vick's press conference with the Eagles is going on now. Our CBS affiliate (WGCL) is the only Atlanta station covering it.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline cornelius

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 11:16:36 AM »
As I have said before. we should not be judgemental. Did he do something horribly wrong, yes. This will haunt him for the rest of his life. But for us to say that he shouldn't be back forever is just WRONG. We all fall down. Let's at least give him the opportunity to play. You can love him. You can hate him. But as I have said over and over again. HE DESERVES A SECOND CHANCE. LET HIM PLAY!!!

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »

I'll say it again, everybody makes mistakes. You've made mistakes; I've made mistakes. Are they as bad as what Michael did? Probably not. But still, if what we did hurt another person...we hope to be forgiven, right? Michael is the same way.

I'm a firm believer in that, as long as a person takes the right steps, they deserve another chance. If Michael would've come out badmouthing animal rights groups, my whole opinion would be different. If he would've came in with the attitude of "it's about time to be signed!", my opinion would be different. But Michael...you can see it in his face and hear it in his voice. He knows what he did was wrong. He knows that he deserved to go to jail. He wants to become a positive role model. This man just wants another chance. And so far his actions have backed it up. He's been in the community speaking to children and helping out with organizations.

Tony Dungy is a very highly respected man in the National Football League. It's kind of interesting that Rob brought his name up as being one of the few that can handle being a coach/father and excel at it. If a man like that believes that Michael deserves to be back; Michael deserves to be back.

HE DESERVES A SECOND CHANCE. LET HIM PLAY!!!

Amen, brother!

Signatures are overrated.

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 11:49:45 AM »
I am now a Ravens fan. The Eagles have disrespected the city, IMO. It's my choice, and Vick made choices too. The wrong ones, and unforgivable ones. Sorry, but the Eagles are no longer my team anymore. I hear the Ravens have a good young quarterback, though.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »
But for us to say that he shouldn't be back forever is just WRONG

Nah, I think that's more a matter of personal opinion, rather than a clear cut given. To me, for him to be back in the NFL making millions of dollars already is a bit soon. I can't think of any other job where a person would just be reinstated so quickly. At least he'll be making only a fraction of what he was paid in previous seasons to begin with.

Offline cornelius

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2009, 12:05:24 PM »
I am now a Ravens fan. The Eagles have disrespected the city, IMO. It's my choice, and Vick made choices too. The wrong ones, and unforgivable ones. Sorry, but the Eagles are no longer my team anymore. I hear the Ravens have a good young quarterback, though.

How can the Eagles disrespect a whole city by signing one player. I can understand how one franchise can disrespect the whole town (IE when the Colts left Baltimore in the 1980s and the Browns left Cleveland in the 1990s an became the Ravens). I trully believe that he is remorseful. I believe in giving people a second chance. If you did something or someone wrong, would YOU want a second chance? The key word is forgiveness. Let's forgive him and move on.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 12:43:03 PM »

Very convenient of you to become a Ravens fan.  How can you rectify your feelings by switching allegiances to a team that has Ray Lewis as its team leader?  Recall that Lewis was indicted for murder a few years back, and stayed out of prison by accepting a plea bargain where he testified against his associates in exchange for an obstruction of justice plea.

Which brings me to my whole point.  Michael Vick is a despicable character.  But the moment you begin to based your rooting interest largely on the wholesomeness of the players on the team, you will quickly become a hypocrite.  If you want to be a sports fan these days, you need to be able to separate your enjoyment of sports from the personalities of those on the field.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline jzion12345

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2009, 12:46:01 PM »
How can the Eagles disrespect a whole city by signing one player. I can understand how one franchise can disrespect the whole town (IE when the Colts left Baltimore in the 1980s and the Browns left Cleveland in the 1990s an became the Ravens). I trully believe that he is remorseful. I believe in giving people a second chance. If you did something or someone wrong, would YOU want a second chance? The key word is forgiveness. Let's forgive him and move on.

The Eagles have disrespected Animal lovers of all kind and basically said, "He's a good player who has paid his debt to society." I watched the whole press conference today and I believe that the franchise does not give a hoot what the fans think. They just think that this is a good business decision. They are going to have people protesting every game at home and on the road. People are going to boo Vick at every step. This city will not embrace him as a whole. Sure there will be people who don't really care one way or another, but I, and many former Eagles fans in the Philly area, do care and think it's disrespectful to all human kindness that this man was given a chance, especially so quickly.

I might only speak for myself when I say that I will not watch another Eagles game as long as Vick is part of the franchise. But, I'm sure there are many other people who agree with me.

As for giving someone a second chance, you need to work your way BACK to that second chance. You know how tough it is in the real world for people to get out of jail and find a job unless they have a friend or made some in prison? It's almost impossible, especially in their original line of work. The fact that a team in the NFL has given him this chance 2 months out of prison is despicable. That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

Very convenient of you to become a Ravens fan.  How can you rectify your feelings by switching allegiances to a team that has Ray Lewis as its team leader?  Recall that Lewis was indicted for murder a few years back, and stayed out of prison by accepting a plea bargain where he testified against his associates in exchange for an obstruction of justice plea.

Which brings me to my whole point.  Michael Vick is a despicable character.  But the moment you begin to based your rooting interest largely on the wholesomeness of the players on the team, you will quickly become a hypocrite.  If you want to be a sports fan these days, you need to be able to separate your enjoyment of sports from the personalities of those on the field.

Wow...I totally forgot about Ray Lewis...wow! Um...Well, then, I'm a Steelers fan. Or better yet, I might not even watch football. I don't know...All I know is that I am no longer an Eagles fan. That is, until Vick has nothing to do with the franchise.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:51:46 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2009, 12:58:42 PM »
Wow...I totally forgot about Ray Lewis...wow! Um...Well, then, I'm a Steelers fan. Or better yet, I might not even watch football. I don't know...All I know is that I am no longer an Eagles fan. That is, until Vick has nothing to do with the franchise.

So, you know no one in your personal life that has made a terrible mistake and had to pay the price.   You know no one who has gone to jail or worse.

I have a friend that had paid the price for a DUI.   He has since quit drinking completly.   Should I never associate with him again.  Should he never be allowed to work again?

What if Vick becomes the next Bob Barker or Betty White?  What if he uses his millions that he will make over the next years to support animal rights?

I in no way condone his actions, but he needs to be given a second chance at life.    What he does for a living has nothing to do with that.

As for the Eagles, if they wish to employ him, that is their choice also.   They must live with the baggage that comes with him.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.