Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/18/2009 (Price Season 37 Finale)  (Read 35369 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/18/2009 (Price Season 37 Finale)
« on: September 18, 2009, 02:53:16 PM »
The Price is Right = Sept. 18, 2009
Production #4821K - Taped June 10, 2009

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Gwen

Models of the Day: Amber Lancaster, Gwendolyn Osborne and Rachel Reynolds
Wearing: Tony Bowls

1   Outdoor Lounge Set (A&R)
MARCIA *1175 LEVON 680 ALLISON 799 APRIL 800 ($1818)

Marcia heads up the "Southpaw Steps" to play 5 PRICETAGS for a Ford F-150 (Std., V8, Grille)(G)

$19,450Mushroom Sewing Kit$45FALSE$24*
(3)$21,790WIN!Digital Picture Frame300FALSE240*
(1)$22,215NO(Keurig) Single Cup Coffee Brewer100TRUE100*
$20,04519 pc Grill Set75TRUE50
(2)$18,773NO

2   Turbo Total Lawn Care Package (G)
MARK 825 +Levon *555 +Allison 750 +April 1 ($700)

Levon, an Air Force officer, follows Marcia's path to play ONE WRONG PRICE

XBOX/PS3 Game Package (R)PICK$3011$2042WIN!
Brighton Ladies Accessories (G)1440
(Sony) 40" LCD HDTV (A)2700

3   (Sony) Handycam Digital Camcorder (R)
Mark 701 GINGER *799 +Allison 600 +April 550 ($950)

Ginger plays PICK A PAIR for an Ashley San Marquessa Dining Group and Noritake Meridian China Dinnerware/Paris Stemware (G) and Le Creuset Cookware (A)($6002)

(4) (Mt. Olive) Kosher Dill Spears$3.19
(6) (Bisquick) Baking Mix (40 oz)3.19WIN!
(1) (Anthony's) Bow Tie Pasta (12 oz)
(2) (Reach) Mint Dental Floss
(3) Original Louisiana Hot Sauce
(5) (Baked Lays) Potato Chips

SHOWDOWN #1
$6,882Levon65 + 15.80
6,952Ginger55 + 451.00*$1000*   Bonus 80   Through to Showcase Round
23,972Marcia15 + 55.70

4   Wake Kite Superfly Kite (A)
Mark *1500 KASEY 1100 +Allison 1199 +April 1200 ($1539)

Mark plays SQUEEZE PLAY for a Yamaha VX Cruiser Waverunner (R)

Setup:9 7 1 9 8
Pick:$ 9 1 9 8
Price:$ 9 7 9 8   LOSS

5   Scanduna Speaker System (G&R)
JASON 800 Kasey 650 +Allison *1200 +April 1000 ($1548)

Allison, who skipped her last day of high school for a day at Price (NOT ADVISED!) plays MORE OR LESS

3 pc Bar Set$5065LESS$4499*
Elmira Northstart Retrostyle Fridge/Freezer4850LESS4195*
Giovanna Caracas 20" Chrome Wheels/Tires3500MORE2900LOSS
Dodge Challenger SE (Std., V6, AT, PLocks, #26G)

Well, here we are. 1145 One-Bids down, one to go before the Priceless Summer - or it would have been if CBS hadn't made us wait 10 weeks or so. Anyway, if April is going to be showered in goodies she needs to plot an escape now. If it fails, Mimi will shower her with scorn at the "First Four" Breakfast Club...

6   Croton Stainless Ladies Watch (A-in the Row)
Jason 2000 Kasey *1 TRACY 1100 +April 650 ($500)

April heads off to the clubhouse while Kasey from Kalamazoo, MI plays 2 FOR THE PRICE OF 1 for an Ashley Melody Daybed with Loving Care Formfit (G) and a Honda BT750 Shadow Aero Motorcycle (R)($7458)

SetupFreePicks
4 5 94 – 2– – –
$ $ $$ 5 $4 5 9
2 7 42 7 42 7 4WIN

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,539Mark90 stay.90Through to Showcase Round
7,958Kasey60 + 95OV(Puny 1st Spin)
10,192Allison65 + 90OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Ginger has the honor.

SC1-Mark Trip to Palm Springs (via Limo; 6n @ Zoso)/Grand Adventure Balloon Tour (A)
Trip to Honolulu (NWA Vacations; 4d)/Porsche For A Day (G)
Trip to Tahihi (6n)
$3000 (R)
BID$17,000
PRICE19,827
DIFF–2,827
TOTAL$21,366
SC2-Ginger A TV LOVERS SHOWCASE
TV Guide Magazine (1 yr)/Home Theater Seating Package/(Samsung) 60" DLP HDTV
Blu-Ray Home Theater System/Primetime Emmy Red Carpet Package*
Too many extras to list here (G)/Toyota Prius 2 (Std., Synergy, Climate)(A)
BID$27,500
PRICE35,135
DIFF–7,635
TOTAL$  7,952

* - Not included in the showcase total

Today's Pricing Games: 4 for 6
Total Winnings: $77,322

...and so as Drew symbolically pounds on a wall at Home Base (and by now we know why), Price Season 37 comes to a merciful end.

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/18/2009 (Price Season 37 Finale)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »
An end and a beginning in the same day. Weird.

5 Price Tags: Did not see this in full, but she played better than most I feel.
One Wrong Price: Good win, possibly a bit obvious
Pick A Pair: For some reason, Ginger didn't strike me was well as some of these emotional contestants. Regardless, she won and was happy for it, and made it quick and easy.
Squeeze Play: Seemed obvious to everyone but the audience.
More Or Less: She looked older than 18. Weird and random, but a fact. Also, I was tempted to go more on the tires as well because I've seen them be very expensive. Was obvious but over analyzed it, and I guess the audience just had the wrong impression.
Showcases: The first time I've ever heard of a Prius 2. Most be more on the expensive side. Also, even with the $3k I thought the trips woudl be on the expensive side, but I guess not.

And there is the end of a season in our first day back.Don't you love it when that happens?  :P
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »
Well, I thought this was a pretty good show for a season finale.

Is it just me or was the opening of the show sped up a la Family Feud on GSN.  The opening titles seemed to be spinning in and out like they were out of control and the music seemed faster too.  Maybe I'm just hallucinating.  There were a couple of obvious edits today too.

It's too bad the Emmy showcase wasn't won.  But I guess it was more about promoting the awards (because their ratings were quite low last year) than giving away the prizes.

EDIT: I made a :dsw:  on the Emmy showcase today.  I was so proud.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:10:51 PM by priceguy »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 03:08:22 PM »
Feels good to be back recapping an episode...

And so ends the fustercluck known as Season 37.  With Roger gone, I went into the season with cautious optimism, but then came the first Drewcases and things got worse with games not getting played, the green screens, and senseless humor between Drew and Rich as well as a dreadful hosting job on what was probably the most exciting win ever in the show's history, the perfect showcase bid.  Things did get better during Christmas week and the showcases were written better, games got dusted off.  There were a few bumps in the road like Jack Wagner and the strange themed shows like the engaged couples' one.  I saw the clips of Season 38's premiere on YouTube and things are a little bit better than what we saw this year, in my opinion, and with the advent of priceisright.com and Drew's twitter page, hopefully the show can re-establish a connection with the fans since Bob left or when Roger was fired.

Marcia and Ginger were the best contestants of the day by a mile.  I loved how enthusiastic Marcia was and how she celebrated when she won the truck, after a near-unanimous audience shouting "21!" at her.  Ginger had great interactions with Drew and it was great that she won Pick-a-Pair and $1,000 on the wheel.

I heard in chat today that they changed something with One Wrong Price's backdrops, I think I saw it briefly, they put some lights in some parts to illuminate them.

One has to wonder if More or Less was set up the way it was so that they could get those prizes out of the warehouse as quickly as possible.

It seems kind of fitting that the last bid to ever be given on the sportstype displays be $1 and for it to be the last winning bid on those displays.

This was taped before we caught wind of the new home base, so I wonder if Drew's pound at the turntable was meant to be a shout-out to us fans about what was in store for the next season.

I couldn't hear the TV very well from where I was watching the show, but did Drew acknowledge the fact that it was the last show of his second year as host?  Like he did with his first year as host on the Season 36 finale?

Well, I can't wait to tune in on Monday for Season 38!  New home base, LCD displays, and reportedly, a new light border!

The first time I've ever heard of a Prius 2. Most be more on the expensive side. Also, even with the $3k I thought the trips woudl be on the expensive side, but I guess not.

Techincally, it should be called the Prius 3 since this is the third generation of the car, but the second take on the more familiar look that debuted for 2004, but I digress.  Actually, Toyota is using Roman numerals to denote the trim levels of the 2010 Prius, starting with the base model (I) through the top-of-the-line V.  The 2010 Prius I, however, won't hit showrooms until October.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:19:06 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 03:12:09 PM »
5PT: I honestly thought it was $20k

OWP: The gaming accessories screamed “Pick Me”

Pick-a-Pair: I was rooting for Ginger to win.  :-)

Squeeze Play: Foiled by the peanut gallery.

More or Less: Those rims faked me out.  :-?

2 for 1: Nice win.

Showcases: More trips, as usual. I wouldn't object to Rachel throwing that money in my direction! I could use it!

All in all, we had a pretty good show to round out the season. Good selection and slotting of pricing games. Drew's patting the turntable walls was fitting, considering what we are going to see on Monday.

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 03:22:28 PM »
5PT: I was sure it was $22k, but 21 was one of my choices. (went 3/4 on guesses)
OWP: Knowing the usual prices for video games is very useful in this one.
PaP: Who wasn't rooting for Ginger?
SP: Sometimes you just shouldn't listen to the crowd.
MoL: EVIL!!! EEEEEVILLLLL!!!
2-4-1: Couldn't they have put that 9 for the first digit on the bottom row?

Showcases: Had Ginger won her showcase, she'd go down as one of the most memorable contestants in some time.

I was $680 under on SC2. I was over on #1...I don't recall for certain, but I think I garfed it. :oldlol:

I also guessed the right number of trips for the episode. :biggrin:

I loved participating in the chat for the first time. Can't wait until Monday.
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline sjd93

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »
Well - feels kinda nice to be talking about a season finale when we know the new season starts in just a couple days.

I liked the line-up, but games 2-4 were kinda blah, in terms of slotting. It should've gone like this:

Squeeze Play
More or Less
Pick a Pair
Two for One
One Wrong Price
5 Price Tags

Drew was very good today, but to a casual viewer the punching of the turntable walls must have seemed quite odd. So things seemed to be good today, and I am optimistic about Monday.

But really... that wasn't that much of a special showcase. They've done stuff like that in the past - sure, it was a nice showcase, but definitely not what most of us were expecting for a special showcase.

Bring on Season 38!
I find it ironic how the show tries to mix up the prizes and offer "cool" things like over-stuffed trips and impossible to price items to make the show less "predictable." Yet, the same things happen every single time a show airs.

-temptation1979ga

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 03:39:18 PM »
Five Price Tags-Nice win by Marcia
One Wrong Price-Great win by Levon
Pick A Pair-Nice win by Ginger
Squeeze Play-Good try by Mark
More or Less-So close for Allison
2 For 1-Nice win by Kasey
Overall, a great way to end Season 37. See you all in Season 38!
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 03:50:55 PM »
Feels good to be back recapping an episode...

Except you're Not.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 03:52:51 PM »
Right, I should have said "comment on someone else's recap of an episode."  It feels good to comment on an episode again, rather.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 04:02:09 PM »
Did CBS really have to isolate this ep just for the Emmies? Doesn't seem like they'd get that many more people. But anyways...

-Lineup: Not bad, but OWP-Pappy just doesn't work to end any half.
-5PT: Don't blow something you're supposed to win! :P 9/10
-OWP: Yeah, the gaming packages are ~1k per. 9/10
-Pappy: Where'd those new GPs come from? Also interesting that cookware bumped up the total prize package by at least 50%. 9/10
-SD1: Geez, that was so obviously going to go to 15. At least Drew didn't make the assumption this time. Also, close bonus finesse - nice try... 5/5
-Squeezy: At least he didn't take out the 9. 8/10
-MoL: What the heck, Peanut Gallery? Why did they think the tires were so high? Seeing some high prizes today I thought we could salvage this game for the season but yet again they ruin it. :evil: 8/10
-241: Easy. 9/10
-SD2: 4/5
-SC1: Good thing CSS was off today, yikes. Also, I hope we can reduce the number of these this season! 3.5/5
-SC2: Alright, I guess. Nothign too much new other than the new model of the hybrid. 4.5/5
-Results: And that increased hybrid led to the easy garf, as well as a high-end HDTV. Mark's compromise with his wife saves him, I was surprised to see those 3 trips average only about 5600 each. 8/10
-Drew: Nothing really to report. Was he knocking the set at the end to indicate the change on Monday?? 8/10

PGs: 52/60
SDs: 9/10
SCs: 16/20
Drew: 8/10

85 --> B

I'll take the solid show if not anything special... :)
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »
Great show today Drew did a good job as host today.

Best Contestant is Marcia she was fun to watch.

I give today show a A.
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 04:41:28 PM »
Per Wayoshi's curiosity on the PaP prize: That china set is pretty dang expensive.

Actually, the look of the entire set was exceedingly familiar. Yesterday I watched through Gameshow Marathon, and one of the deals in the finale of Let's Make a Deal was this very china set. And it was set up on a dining room furniture set that looked exactly like today's prize, except GSM's was branded Broyhill and this one was branded Ashley Furniture. But it was the exact same dinnerware, and the exact same kinds of furniture, set up the exact same way as three years ago on GSM.
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 05:14:18 PM »
Actually, most of the stuff in the Emmy Package was part of the price - Drew just told the contestant not to put a price on the Emmy tickets themselves.  (The tickets are free, but the last time I looked, scalping is legal in California as long as it's not done on the site of the event.)

-- Don

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 05:34:05 PM »
I believe tickets to the Emmycast are free only to the nominees.  Extra tickets cost money (and they are not cheap!)

Maybe because I was expecting something really big and exciting,  I was a little underwhelmed and felt a little disappointed.