Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/21/2009 (Price Season 38 Opener)  (Read 56200 times)

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/21/2009 (Price Season 38 Opener)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »
The opening show should have been big budget...but,with the theme shows,etc.
Maybe there`s your big budget stuff...
The copy flub...at least they should be thankful this one didn`t cost $30,000

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 03:46:15 PM »
I have SD tv and I am one of many who could barely see the light border at the beginning.  Other than that, cool looking set, awesome shots.  The lineup I think could have been better.

Online iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »
Wow! A lot of things to comment on today.

Opening: I saw the show in HD and the actual bulbs on the light border are barely visible. I really like the way the logo appears now, very cool! I'm not liking the shortened intro though. It takes away from the excitement.

The Set: The new turntable really does look great! The light/dark blue pattern is my favorite so far. The new contestants row displays look pretty good. The showcase podiums however don't look good at all. The bids were just too hard to see on tv.

Everything else: Rich DiPirro just keeps getting better. The new Plinko reveal was great! The new angles before the SCSD were great too! Drew hosted pretty well today, and he seemed genuinely happy. Craig Ferguson's appearance in the showcase was cool, but weird because he really served no purpose.

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 03:51:44 PM »
Lucky Seven-Tough break for Zina.
Plinko-Good job by Heather winning $1,500.
Push Over-Here's out first win of the season, albeit a technical win. That was nice that they gave the prize to Crescencio anyway because of the screw up in Rich's prize copy. Also, I believe this is the first time in Push Over's history that they've had to award a tech win on this game.
Grocery Game-Good try by John.
That's Too Much-Good try by Lori.
Most Expensive-Good try by Robert.
Overall, a one out of sixer is a bit of a disappointment to start the 38th year. Let's hope things go better tomorrow.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline garbagefan

• In the Audience
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »
Can someone post a screenshot of ME with 3 plasmas?

Thanks!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 04:00:28 PM »
You know, the new set looks much better on TV (and on my crappy tape!) than it did on all of the preview videos and photos we saw. The new C-R podiums don't look as bad as they did on that preview clip on Ferguson last week, too...though they still look a little off.

...this was a season premiere? Sure didn't seem like one...other than Drew saying about twenty zillion times that this was the start of a new season and that there was a new set and everything.  The lineup was kinda meh for a season premiere, and there weren't a lot of wins, either.

Not a fan of the new opening. Seemed entirely too rushed. Plus, the lack of opening titles kinda took away from the intro, too. Buy yay...lightbox (even though I couldn't really see it on my crappy 4:3 TV!) The new logo effect at the beginning of the show was pretty cool, too.

The new camera shots before the closed captioning plugs, while cool, seemed kinda awkward. On the other hand, I love the new Plinko reveal. I also liked the pricetag window during the description of the Waverunner...but why are they still using those horrible green screens?  I liked Rich's new calldown window, too. Rich DiPirro has really begun to leave his mark on the show. Keep it up, Rich.

Hurray for three-trip ME! It didn't feel right without the trip skins, though. Nice to see that they do, indeed, have a third video screen.

The first SC was pretty good, and tied into the fact that it was the season premiere and all.  The second SC...why was Craig Ferguson there? I'm fine with special guests in SCs if they actually fit into the theme, but Craig really just seemed to be there to simply introduce the prizes, and nothing more.  Speaking of SCs...not a fan of the new SC podiums, either.

Overall, decent, but by no means great. Should be an interesting season nonetheless.

OVERALL: 2.5/5.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »
Needless to say I was pretty disappointed overall with this episode. Without it being the season premiere it would have been completely forgettable.

-L7: This was actually meant to be won, I'm fairly certain it was -5. Too bad! 8/10
-Plinko: WHY. WAS. ALL. FOUR. SPS. "STARTS WITH". :evil: 8/10
-Pushy: Well this was funny - the cherry wood or whatever made that thing deceptively expensive, not the HP! That added $500 max. Lucky break, I guess we'll take it from being skunked... 8/10
-SD1: 4/5
-Grocery: Too bad, he had a chance at it there. 8/10
-TTM: Come on, the difference was right there. 7/10
-ME: Hard. 8/10
-SD1: 4/5
-SC1: We seem to have an extra minute on the showcases and...we have a short one. No comprendo. But there was a car - 4/5
-SC2: Nice car, 1/2 good trip - works I guess. 4/5
-Results: Don't blame him for doing basically $1, but it was close [again]! Maybe someone will finally get owned on the $1 bid this season. 8/10
-Drew: Pretty good, did Grocery explanation right and everything. 9/10

80 --> B-

Come on, can we lighten up on the setups...please?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline crispinh1

• Outside in Line
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 04:27:44 PM »
New set looks good, such a shame they had a lousy show to debut it with. I hope they fixed the display on the showcase podiums in the time between when they taped and when they aired because they are too bright and too hard to read.  If you watch the video about the set on the new TPIR site, alot of the set was rushed to completion so they may not have had time to tinker with it. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
Well, twelve days of downtime between taping one season and another didn't make for any improvements.

The new Turntable is friggin' ridiculous.  It's unnecessarily bright and huge.  Drew kept boasting about "all this space," but what's the point?  All this new space will not be made of use!  The turning platform itself looks tiny compared to the rest of it now, instead of fitting right in with the rest of the walls.

I'm not impressed with the new Contestants' Row displays either.  The displays are too squished, and the numbers on the displays are too squished.  Plus, it takes them longer to punch up the numbers.  Even though the difference is only fractions of a second, the whole feel of the numbers being physically punched in is gone.  It doesn't matter if it looks like the old displays.  The old feel isn't there.

The wide shot of the Race Game curtain rising for Plinko was indeed nifty and certainly the best use of the jib they've made ever since it was put in two years ago, though it would have been nice if Rich remained on the shot the entire time the curtain rose.

I guess they're still determined to make SP setups blatantly unfair as they did with Plinko today.  They should have been prepared to bust the budget on a season opener.  The curtailing with all the setups today when the season was just starting doesn't speak of a positive future.

I disagree with the technical win of Push Over.  The information of the computer being an HP versus a Dell was superfluous, mainly because HP wasn't sponsoring the computer so the manufacturer shouldn't have even been mentioned; and it's not like Cresencio's guess was anywhere close to what the price was, regardless of the computer.

The dollar sign tacked onto Rich's calldown window is a bit much, especially since the window and the shot of him therein are too small and too far out respectively.

Wow, Most Expensive for three trips is boring when it's all behind one door (then again, the trips themselves were probably equally as boring and difficult to price.  How are you supposed to price a chartered limousine from LA to all three of these places?), though I'm glad they finally broke in realising that they could actually put a trip on just one screen.

How is priceisright.com "brand new" and "re-designed" at the same time, Drew?  And shame on you, Drew, you sent the Joe Plinkos to the wrong place for a message board.

I'd say the new Showcase podiums are the dullest of all the set changes.  They're quite bland, and the displays are difficult enough to read.  Why aren't they mimicking the old look with these digital displays?

If only Craig Ferguson could really fire Drew.  If only...

As I said in a thread once before, I only tuned in for this show because I've seen all the season openers since season twenty-nine.  The prospects don't look good for this season after last season, which was easily dubbed the worst season in the show's history.  Maybe I'll be wrong, but I doubt it at this point.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 04:32:19 PM »
I liked the title graphic and thought the Plinko stage shot looked good. I was expecting a more impressive game lineup. As for the showcase podiums, I can live with them.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »
OK, where to begin??? Aside from the fact that this is the first new show of Season 38, with a Season 37 rerun to follow at 3 PM...

Opening: The light box is back, but I miss the "television's most exciting hour of fantastic prizes, the fabulous 60-minute Price is Right!" part of Rich's opening spiel. And I guess it would make sense for Drew to want to be called "the host" because Bob was always "the star" for the first 35 years that the show was on CBS.

Lucky $even: A heartbreaking way to start the show.

Plinko: Whoa! A Race Game Curtain reveal??? We haven't seen this in 20 years! But boo for only one SP being won.

Push Over: Now here's something we never expected: the first playing of a game on the new Turntable ending in a technical win, because they got Rich's copy wrong.

Grocery Game: I didn't think the cups were that expensive!

That's Too Much!: When you first notice a wide gap between the previous price and the next, stop right there.

Most Expensive: That was one tough setup.

Showcases: Well, this part could use some improvement, what with the hard-to-read displays on the new Showcase podiums. And Craig Ferguson was a nice surprise, but I liked Mimi from the April Fool's show better. A $10,000 bid on a Prius showcase??? Come on, why not just bid $1, especially when you knew that the other contestant was about to go over???

Miscellaneous: I love the new set, and my favorite would have to be the new, improved One Bid displays. The new Plinko and Closed Captioning presentations are also awesome, and this will most likely be the first full season since Season 16 that we have Dig We Must end both Showcase Showdowns. (Remember, they stopped doing this in the middle of Season 17.) That being said, not a bad premiere, but all those losses ruined the fun of it. Hopefully we'll do better in tomorrow's show...

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »
The new Turntable is friggin' ridiculous.  It's unnecessarily bright and huge.  Drew kept boasting about "all this space," but what's the point?  All this new space will not be made of use!

I'll gladly eat my words if this turns out to be not true, but we've only seen one full episode with the new turntable and only two games on there, Pushover and Grocery Game.  There are much more games to play on there that we haven't seen yet, so who knows, maybe they'll change the staging of some games to use the extra space, like Spelling Bee having its SP podiums moved to the space from the left door frame to where Drew and the contestant are.  We may even see some interesting IUFB presentations from that space as well.

...it takes them longer to punch up the numbers.  Even though the difference is only fractions of a second, the whole feel of the numbers being physically punched in is gone.  It doesn't matter if it looks like the old displays.  The old feel isn't there.

At least they kept the old font and reverted to bolder colors for the displays; they could have made them like Wheel of Fortune's or Jeopardy's if they wanted to.  Even in the later years of the Sports Type ones, if you compare a bid entered during their early years to one through Season 37, they were much faster back then likely because the computer or whatever was used was newer and performed better.  If you think about it, replacement parts for the SportsType displays are going to be non-existant in the future so when they can't be repaired anymore, they have to replace them or continue to use broken displays.  Which one would make for better television?  

The wide shot of the Race Game curtain rising for Plinko was indeed nifty and certainly the best use of the jib they've made ever since it was put in two years ago, though it would have been nice if Rich remained on the shot the entire time the curtain rose.

When Rich says "Plinko!" doesn't it seem natural to have the cameras just zoom in on the board, with the $50,000 graphic at the bottom?  I mean, the announcer never was seen speaking during the Plinko Sign era, so why should they start now?

The dollar sign tacked onto Rich's calldown window is a bit much, especially since the window and the shot of him therein are too small and too far out respectively.

They probably can't make the window much larger than it is since the show is seen in both 16:9 and 4:3 configurations, you have to find something that will be viewable from both resolutions.

I'm glad they finally broke in realising that they could actually put a trip on just one screen.

There was a Temptation playing last season where a trip was one of the gifts and the screen displayed just the one trip, so it's not like during the break someone finally realized they can use one trip on one screen.

How is priceisright.com "brand new" and "re-designed" at the same time, Drew?  And shame on you, Drew, you sent the Joe Plinkos to the wrong place for a message board.

priceisright.com was launched in late 2007 or so when Drew took over.  It had videos from behind the scenes during Drew's era and even some classic moments as early as the mid-80's.  It went down sometime in 2008 or so, but was relaunched recently with new videos.  

Also, why would Drew sponsor this message board?  Other than the fact that we had some people go over and post distasteful comments on Drew's personal blog, It's independent of the show's production company and there's probably some legal issues with sponsoring or even mentioning a non-affiliated website on the show (even when a member of ATGS was a contestant on the show in the late '90's, Bob only mentioned it was some Internet group, nothing more) and we have the disclaimer here this site is not a challenge to ownership and the show is their property, so they can create their own website and message board as they wish.  This is like how Consumer Reports doesn't allow manufacturers to use its articles and results of their products in the press since they're an independent entity.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 04:54:29 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 04:48:49 PM »
I like the new set, the new One-Bid displays, the new Plinko reveal, the new closed captioning shots, and the new Showcase podiums.  The opening needs to be slowed down, though. 

Too bad we had to have a technical win to get a win today.

That was pretty neat having Craig Ferguson on the show today.  Until today, I didn't know he played Mr. Wick on The Drew Carey Show, and I used to watch that show. 

I think the background behind the word "over" on the showcase podiums should be red.

I must say I've seen better season premieres.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »
I'll gladly eat my words if this turns out to be not true, but we've only seen one full episode with the new turntable and only two games on there, Pushover and Grocery Game.  There are much more games to play on there that we haven't seen yet, so who knows, maybe they'll change the staging of some games to use the extra space, like Spelling Bee.

Doubt it.  There's still only one wall that turns and I doubt they're about to go with a Give or Keep style staging (as if any of the show's current staff even knew a game by that name ever existed).

Even in the later years of the Sports Type ones, if you compare a bid entered during their early years to one through Season 37, they were much faster back then likely because the computer or whatever was used was newer and it has aged over 30 years.

Not necessarily.  It could be the puncher was slower.

If you think about it, replacement parts for the sportstype displays are going to be non-existant in the future

I doubt that.  I just do.

They probably can't make the window much larger than it is since the show is seen in both 16:9 and 4:3 configurations, you have to find something that will be viewable from both resolutions.

Sure they can.  The window can be expanded up and to the right.

Um, you do realize they've been doing that with the plasma in the back of the audience all this time, right?  Also, there was a Temptation playing last season where a trip was one of the gifts and the screen displayed just the one trip.

Yes, but this was the first time they've displayed trips on a single horizontal screen on stage.  The one used in Temptation was one of the vertical screens, and the back wall... it was never a good place for displaying trips.

Besides, why would Drew sponsor this message board?

Because he loves us!
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 04:56:17 PM »
Okay, why do you think Drew loves us?  I mean we had someone go over to his personal blog and write distasteful comments about him and the show, and he called us "Telephone Pole Screamers" afterwards, that doesn't seem he likes us very much.  Plus after lambasting the current staff because of their work, I don't think the show or the production company would be willing to sponsor us.

Doubt it.  There's still only one wall that turns and I doubt they're about to go with a Give or Keep style staging (as if any of the show's current staff even knew a game by that name ever existed).

I know it's ideal for a new employee to a company know everything about it, including the history, but I think the newer members of the staff don't remember some games, especially ones that faded into obscurity as time went on, like Give or Keep (that was played less than ten times a season towards the end of its life).

Sure they can.  The window can be expanded up and to the right.

What do you want the calldown window's size to be, like Rod's was?   I think if you made it that size, when viewed in 4:3, it would be a huge obstruction to the view of the audience.

and the back wall... it was never a good place for displaying trips.

Then why has the show used the back to model Christmas Trees, the Plinko Sign, have a special platform for the models to show off dresses, and once, have Janice dress up and dance like a rock star to show off a guitar (this was in the early to mid '90's, IIRC)?  It's not the same as a plasma screen, but did the fact that the prize was in the back of the audience, and when they all turned, we'd see their behinds instead of their faces, stop them from staging things back there.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:10:25 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."