Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/21/2009 (Price Season 38 Opener)  (Read 56378 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/21/2009 (Price Season 38 Opener)
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
Okay, why do you think Drew loves us?

You do realise I was being sarcastic.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline 95cents

• In the Audience
  • 4/10/2008 TPIR Alumnus (Man on The Left)
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 05:16:42 PM »
Decent Show Today,

By offering "reasonable" prizes, the show might not have to go into "budget mode" so soon.

A technical win should have been awarded in Push Over, no matter how smart or un-smart the contestant was.  Different brands of computers cost different amounts of money.  Whomever rights the prize copy, please take the time to write it properly.  Next time a "new car" or a Showcase might have to be awarded do to a typing error.

I LOVE the new set, minus the Showcase Podiums.  

The "full screen" view of the stage during the CC during the 1st Showcase Show Down"...rules!!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:19:07 PM by 95cents »

Offline JeffP

• In the Audience
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2009, 05:19:50 PM »
The one bid displays look fantastic, but yes they're a little bit slow to display the bid. Could be several reasons. It could be the operator getting used to the new entry method, but I would hazard to guess it's the way the software is programmed to display the bid. It seems they did their best to emulate the old displays using LCD screens including the scrolling from left to right of the bid as it appears. It was very uniform unlike the old displays so I'm guessing that the scroll from left to right is initiated after the bid entry is completed in the computer. The old controller was a physical switch, so as soon as a button for the corresponding number was pressed it would light up immediately. If the new method does indeed wait until all numbers are entered before displaying, that would account for the delay. It did slow down the pace of the bidding a hair as Drew would have to wait a bit longer for the bid to display.

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »
The new opening logo display sucks. Ooh, they've mastered the PowerPoint "peek in" effect! How wonderful! (not)

There seems to be an overabundance of the blue checkerboards here.

The Showcase podium displays need to have a better looking color scheme.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2009, 05:33:40 PM »
I personally liked the new set and the other new stuff for Season 38.  I'll agree that the most unlikeable part of the new set is the turntable which really didn't fit well with the rest of the set.  Anyway, here's my opinion on the rest of the show:

Lucky $even:  I might have had a shot if I were in Zina's position.  Of course, I don't know what the last digit was, and a 1 or something like that could have ended that real quickly.  Tough loss for Zina.  :-(

Plinko:  Those SP's were EVIL!  :evil:  I think Heather was lucky to get $1,500 out of that debacle.

Push Over:  I would have never thought a computer and desk could be that expensive!  Cresencio was lucky to get the Technical Win, as that was probably the only way that setup was going to be won.

Grocery Game:  This was also a tough setup!  I wasn't familiar with any of the items, and I wouldn't have thought those plastic cups were that expensive.

That's Too Much:  Noooo!  Not on the premiere!  No surprise this was lost.

Most Expensive:  I was hoping for a multi-prize game here, but this is not what I had in mind.  I had in mind a 4-prizer.  And any one of those three trips could have been the most expensive.  That was way too tough.

Showcases:  Both contestants gave fairly lousy bids, although I can justify John's bid, considering the fact that Zina was probably over (which she was).  I'm surprised SC2 did not break $40K with that beefed up Vegas trip and the exotic Seychelles trip.  Craig's "You're Fired!" line was probably the funniest moment in the show, but it's a shame it couldn't have been worked into the script of the second showcase.

Steven's Show Score:
Pricing Game Lineup:  15/25 -- Plinko is always a plus, but the rest of the lineup was sub-par.
Wins:  3/25 -- When the only win in the show is a technical win, you know this gets a poor score.
Hosting:  19/20 -- Drew was on top of things today!  Let's hope it continues throughout the season.
Showcases:  11/20 -- Other than the "You're Fired" gag, Craig really didn't fit well here.
Other:  7/10 -- There was a general lack of classic music cues, but the new set makes up for it.

Total:  55/100 -- Average (although this is quite poor for a season premiere!)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:35:11 PM by TPIRSteven »

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Beware my red pen....
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 05:35:55 PM »
You do realise I was being sarcastic.

It's hard to tell with you. Is it sarcasm, or just outright vicious hatred, when it comes to Drew?
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »
I'm impressed with this new set. On with my two centsof the games:

Lucky $even: A loss was a bad way to start a season premiere.

Plinko!: Loved the opening, but I was dumbfounded when she missed three of the small prizes.

Push Over: A techncal win is a way to get a win.

Grocery Game: Ouch!

That's Too Much: I knew she should've stayed at the $26,000+ mark.

Most Expensive: I knew number two was the most expensive.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 05:53:35 PM »
It's hard to tell with you. Is it sarcasm, or just outright vicious hatred, when it comes to Drew?

Well, since I've said multiple times I don't hate Drew, the answer should be obvious.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »
Today show was good Drew did a good job as host.

The Best Contestants are Zina & John they were great & funny.

I give today show a B.
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 06:22:12 PM »
THe rotating part of the turntable looks smaller than it did. It did to me anyway, especially during PUsh Over, when there wasn't too much space between the left of the rotating part and the gameboard. As far as it not being that attractive, some of us would have cried foul on the 1978-82 back of the turntable.

Offline trytobecharming

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »
I'll gladly eat my words if this turns out to be not true, but we've only seen one full episode with the new turntable and only two games on there, Pushover and Grocery Game.  There are much more games to play on there that we haven't seen yet, so who knows, maybe they'll change the staging of some games to use the extra space,...

I don't see them doing too much with that part of the turntable. They probably don't want the Give or Keep syndrome of automatically knowing what the pricing game is going to be before the IUFB ends. Perhaps Double Prices being played to the left of it while a prize, like a trip on one of those screens, is revealed on the rotating part.

IIRC Ron Pearson actually mentioned Michael Klauss name on Shopping Spree circa 1996 or 1997, talking about the nice things said about that show on ATGS and the internet.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:54:55 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »
I can't watch this nor any other show on CBS right now, it still doesn't come in at all.  So like to know a couple things today and everyday in this forum:

1)   How did Drew dressed?  I mean did he wore a full suit and tie, or without, the casual or in another way?

and 2)  Which style of glasses did Drew year?  The clear, the black rims, or in another way?

BTW...I have dial up internet access therefore I can't watch the show online neither (youtube, etc.)!  :-(
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2009, 06:40:25 PM »
Technical error aside, that Pushover was so EVIL!!!! :oldevil:

BTW: Black rims, his trademark fat black rims.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 06:43:34 PM by Kitch »
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline brtsimpson142

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2009, 06:54:06 PM »
BTW: Black rims, his trademark fat black rims.

His "trademark fat black rims" are those from the Drew Carey show.  These aren't his sitcom glasses, the ones he wears now are the same ones he was wearing on Friday.
Bazinga!

Offline djryan

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2009, 07:04:10 PM »
I was looking forward to catching the season opener when I got home from work!

New opening speil:  Yeah, it's shorter, but still gives kudos to the Bob Barker Studio...

Light border:  it's cool...I don't have widescreen, so I don't see the full benefit right now on my set...

The opening title graphic:  I thought that was the coolest thing!  LOVED IT!!!

Host vs. The Star:  I can see why if they wanted to cut down on sayin "The Price is Right"..."Here's the star, Drew Carey", doesn't sound as good.

Contestants Row:  Ehh, it'll take me awhile to warm up to it.  THe borders on the monitors are thick and larger...don't care for that too much!  Glad they kept the classic sportstype look...keeps the classic feel to the show!

Plinko:  WOW!  MY JAW LITERALLY DROPPED WITH A SOFT "WOW" COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!!  :biggrin:  Very creative reveal!!  The SP were kinda of lousy with all 4 prizes with a "1st number" set...Prices ending in zero draws me to pick the last number...kinda of a downer there

The wheel/CC plugs:  Very different and creative!   Love the new stuff!

Showcase Podiums:  Not the best I've seen!  The colors and design dont' seem to fit! 

Overall, I LIKE WHAT I SEE!!!!   :biggrin:
COME ON DOWN!