Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/23/2009  (Read 26381 times)

Offline dconnary

• In Contestant's Row
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/23/2009
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »
Great show! Glad to see Dice Game back after a long hiatus.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »

It was great to see Dice Game again, and it was good to finally have 4 wins. I don't know whether the "Ladies, do I have..." bit instead of the "Mighty Sound Effects Lady" was a reference to the way Bob used to do the game or not, but nevertheless, it was nice to hear.

I had a similar thought watching One Away today. It was refreshing to hear "Ladies, do I have...". A believe it was a reference to the Bob era; I think Sheena has been a Price watcher for a while.  I think Drew would have recognized this if he had watched Bob more closely, and I didn't like him trying to "correct" her.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:05:04 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »

There was a really nice bumper shot today with Rich reading his copy on cam before the closed captioning plug.  His turning the page of his script was more than a little over the top, but then at least he's being consistent.  His reads have gotten far too over the top for my taste.

Still, it was a really cool shot.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 09:49:48 PM »
I agree - the bumper shots so far this new season have been wonderful - each a bit different and interesting.

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 09:57:07 PM »
Grand Game: I was torn between the Crisco and the Vanilla myself.

Balance Game: tough loss.

Dice Game: IT RETURNS!!!  :-D Excellent win, yet weird number reveals.

Double Prices: That was a very quick playing.

One Away: Great win!

Cliffhangers: Excellent playing. I was a little worried when Kevin said the teapot was $20. He proved me wrong.

Showcases: Again, excellent showcases. They have been really good this season.

Great show today. The lineup was excellent, Dice Game’s return was long overdue, and Drew did really well today.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »
Since I assume they still tape 2 shows a day, this would be from the second day of taping. Looks like they realised the few glitches and problems with the new LCD displays. The One Bids were appearing much quicker today, and the Showcase bids were much easier to read, and centered! That was one thing that annoyed me, it seemed like the bids were aligned left on the last two shows!

The shot from the price tag to the car reveal before One Away was neat!

I'm pretty sure I've read about it last season, but it was the first time I've seen the SCSD arrow! Awesome!

I had a similar thought watching One Away today. It was refreshing to hear "Ladies, do I have...". A believe it was a reference to the Bob era; I think Sheena has been a Price watcher for a while.  I think Drew would have recognized this if he had watched Bob more closely, and I didn't like him trying to "correct" her.

Oh it definitely was a reference to Bob. I liked the way she kept insisting on doing it Bob's way! :)

I agree - the bumper shots so far this new season have been wonderful - each a bit different and interesting.

Yeah, to bad they don't show it on CBS.com.

Speaking of which, the credits are back today, albeit very short. Executive Consultant, EP, Producers, Director, Logo, Fremantle.

And finally, I don't really care for the new CBS.com site...

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 10:12:34 PM »
Still, it was a really cool shot.

CBS.com really needs to post the CC and promotional consideration plugs with the episodes. I haven't seen any of these neat angles but the one in Wayoshi's video from Monday's premiere.

Looks like they fixed the delay problem with Contestants' Row. Maybe it was that "fade in" effect that was the problem, because the numbers just "popped in" today, and appeared much faster.

What the hell was up with Dice Game? It looked like it had been retaped. Weird, weird edits. They never even showed Drew asking for the 2nd number to light up, they just cut right to it. Then Drew was acting ridiculous looking at someone off camera and laughing the whole time he called for the 3rd and 4th numbers to light up. Something definitely went wrong. It came off very awkward with no explanation.

Then again, there's a lot of stuff that's edited out nowadays that makes for awkward moments. It looks like Drew is giggling to himself for no reason a lot of the time after he makes a joke or something gets flubbed that makes him laugh, then it gets cut from the show.

Is it just me, or was the background behind the showcase bids a bit darker? Also notice the bids and differences also appeared to have been differently justified, and the dollar sign now blinks with the winning total.

It's really disappointing that it seems like for every great show like today's, there's 2 or 3 crappy ones. Hopefully things continue like they did today. The only thing I didn't like about today's show was the amount of editing. WAY too much.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »
Was it me, or did Dice Game (speaking of which, FINALLY!!!) seem awfully rushed?  I want to say there were edits going on during it, but I can't tell for certain.

Honestly, though, this was a pretty good show.  Drew hardly did anything annoying, there were some good wins, and One Away...well, that was in a league of its own. :)

Seriously, Sheena might end up being my favorite contestant of the whole season.  I about died when, after telling Drew that she'd rehearsed for the game, she started doing Bob's routine!  As far as I'm concerned, that woman is a loyal friend and true and more than deserved everything that she won.

I'm almost afraid to say this on the grounds that I might jinx something, but whoever is writing the showcases finally seems to have figured out what they're doing.  The scripts weren't up to the level of the Roger days, but they were far and away better than anything from last season.  There was nothing stupid in them, and they made sense.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 10:50:26 PM »
The 7,115th set of Pricing Games (3rd for Season 38)

Showcase #1
Poker Table - $1,854
Trip to Lake Tahoe - $9,218
Waverunner - $9,798

Showcase #2
Kitchen Appliances - $11,885
Cookware - $3,159
Private Chef - $5,000
Trip to Rome - $9,566

Your Modeling Scorecard for September 23, 2009
Daily Records
$124,951/2002, $32,898/2003

Rachel Reynolds
Total: 6/$16,112 (6/$16,112, 0/$0)
Cars: 0/$0 (0/$0, 0/$0)
Trips: 1/$9,218 (1/$9,218, 0/$0)

Lanisha Cole
Total: 8/$41,325 (6/$26,281, 2/$15,044)
Cars: 1/$21,854 (1/$21,854, 0/$0)
Trips: 0/$0 (0/$0, 0/$0)

Manuela Arbelaez
Total: 7/$48,515 (6/$43,188, 1/$5,327)
Cars: 1/$23,134 (1/$23,134, 0/$0)
Trips: 0/$0 (0/$0, 0/$0)

And for the season
Rachel Reynolds (3 shows)
Total: 19/$90,920 (15/$43,396, 4/$47,524)
Cars: 2/$38,960 (0/$0, 2/$38,960)
Trips: 3/$17,539 (2/$13,369, 1/$4,170)

Lanisha Cole (3 shows)
Total: 26/$142,050 (12/$59,448, 14/$82,602)
Cars: 4/$92,424 (2/$45,032, 2/$47,392)
Trips: 2/$11,269 (1/$7,783, 1/$3,486)

Manuela Arbelaez (3 shows)
Total: 20/$140,359 (12/$79,989, 8/$60,370)
Cars: 3/$66,869 (2/$42,199, 1/$24,670)
Trips: 3/$22,220 (1/$11,414, 2/$10,806)

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 10:52:09 PM »
Grand Game:  This was tough.  I would have picked the Crisco, but I too was fooled by the vanilla.
Balance Game:  That's Too Much!  Oh wait, that's a completely different game.  Anyway, just about everyone in chat knew that Denise lost this one.  Despite how jazzed up that steam shower looked, there was almost no way it would break $7K.
Dice Game:  Great win!  Nora had two tough rolls there, but managed to get them both right!  I too was afraid that the last digit would be a 1 or 2.
Double Prices:  This was hands down the easiest setup of the day.  Too bad it was for just a bed.  But a win is a win!
One Away:  I like how Sheena seemingly wasn't listening to Drew during the "X numbers right" reveal!  But it worked for her, and she ended up pulling off an amazing win!
Cliff Hangers:  Another great win, despite a not-so-great guess on the tea pot.  Although I probably would have missed it by almost as much in the other direction.
Showcases:  One ridiculously overpriced showcase + two ridiculously low bids = :gotc: X2

Steven's Show Score:
Pricing Game Lineup:  17/25 -- Solid lineup, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Wins:  20/25 -- 4/6 + 2 cars won + 2 $1,000 Wheel winners = A darn good score.
Showcases:  15/20 -- 2 was good; 1 could have been themed a bit better.
Hosting:  15/20 -- Drew seemed weak in a couple of the games, but he was good otherwise.
Other:  6/10 -- A couple of classic cues; it seemed like there were too many edits.

Total:  73/100 (Good) -- Basically I agree with the consensus that this was a very good show.

Offline Drewfan2008

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 11:21:55 PM »
I am surprised no one here has mentioned the darker background on the new Showcase bid displays. The price is now easier to see.

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Beware my red pen....
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 11:26:44 PM »
If I won that shower, I would have to remodel my house. That shower is larger than my master bathroom. Jesus Christ.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 12:16:02 AM »
Quote from: Drewfan2008
I am surprised no one here has mentioned the darker background on the new Showcase bid displays. The price is now easier to see.
Actually, a couple of people have mentioned the showcase podium displays. 

I'm glad to see that thing are being tweaked and fixed - little things like the bid displays.  It shows that Mike and Kathy (and whoever else) are paying attention to the details.  So far, things are looking better than I would have predicted. 

As for Dice Game - it seems obvious to me that something happened to give Drew the giggles.  It was very obviously edited out.  I'd love to know what it was, though.  Was it a game malfunction, a host malfunction, or something from way out in left field?  (Kanye West showed up and stole the dice??)  Doesn't ANYBODY HERE have some inside info on it???
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 12:35:56 AM »

It was actually cool to see one taken from the audience pit looking forward at the stage. This particular angle though made it look as if the aisle to Contestant's Row is really narrow.

After 3 episodes there really hasn't been much to say as far as Drew's excitement goes, because he seemed to be in a great mood through out all 3 shows, even through the losses! I really do wonder if the staff has had Drew work on his appearance of excitement. It seems like everything about the show has suddenly went from "blah" from last season to "AWESOME!!!" this season.

DICE GAME RETURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh it was so great to see it. It gives me hope that some of the other games that were on long unnecessary hiatuses will be returning.

As far as the edits went, I have to wonder if they were actually running extremely short on time. If you notice there were tons of edits from I could tell, and not just in Dice Game, plus the first portion of the credits were really quick today. I noticed in the 4th pricing game there was an awkward transition from Drew and the contestant walking toward the GPT to the introduction of the prize. It was like the interaction must've been cut out. It also looked like there was an edit in the showcase reveals seeing as if it looked like there was a delay when Drew was revealing the ARP of a showcase for the dude who bid $11,999.

But overall still a great show. I would probably give it either a B+ or an A-.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 12:38:47 AM by catdogwheel »
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 12:51:31 AM »
BTW, to answer a question I had yesterday, Price went back to having the full credit roll on CBS.com.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace